Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Just bashed my Amazon Estate

Views : 36785

Replies : 234

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 6th, 2013, 12:27   #141
Derek UK
VOC Member

It can be replaced with a shallow capscrew headed stainless nut and bolt. Thin the nut down as much as you dare and the bolt to match. Use locktite.
There are screw type clamps that will sqeeze a hollow rivit but the results are a bit unpredictable.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 18th, 2013, 19:12   #142
Quarterless
Master Member

Car just got MOT'ed and taxed!!!! But after that I went and got fuel and on the way home it threw the propshaft bearing! :O(
Any advice on fixing this?
Quarterless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2013, 00:57   #143
Derek UK
VOC Member

Smile

Do you mean that the rubber mount split? Easy fix, new mount and bearing from Simon even if you think you don't need the bearing. Mark up the front and rear parts of the prop so it goes back together correctly. A tedious job if you can't get it very far in the air, but not so bad if you can get the car on a ramp somewhere.

A good time to check the UJ's when the prop is off the car but I don't really want to give you more jobs to do.
Old Mar 19th, 2013, 11:25   #144
Quarterless
Master Member

Not sure exactly what has gone yet but there was a horrible thumping and grinding noise coming from the prop.
If the prop is off I might as well renew everything as I don't want to have to do it again. I might also fix the diff oil leak as well while I'm there.

Last edited by Quarterless; Mar 19th, 2013 at 11:38.
Old Apr 16th, 2013, 15:06   #145
Quarterless
Master Member

Well had a right problem fixing the prop. The end nut might as well have been welded on as I couldn't even get it undone with a four foot scaffold pole on the end of my spanner. Luckily I had a spare prop. The centre rubber mount had disintigrated and upon taking apart the UJ's a number of them collapsed so were on their way out. I didn't get the diff seal changed as I had wanted as I need to make a tool to lock the diff flange while I undo the nut. Does anyone have ideas for a tool? Or experience of doing this job?
Car is now road going and I have found an issue with one of the new struts. The adjuster does not work. So I need to pull it and return it to the manufacturers. Anyone got any recomendations for spring compressors that fit amazons well?
Old Apr 16th, 2013, 15:57   #146
Derek UK
VOC Member

Smile

"Car is now road going and I have found an issue with one of the new struts. The adjuster does not work. So I need to pull it and return it to the manufacturers. Anyone got any recomendations for spring compressors that fit amazons well?"

Struts? Spring compressors? Are we still talking Amazon? Rear springs just drop out after you've disconnected one end of the safety strap and lowered the axle. Fronts less easy but no compressors needed. I think you've done all that so nothing new there.

Problem with the prop nut is that the tube wants to turn with it. I used a pair of long Stilsons working against each other and that undid it easily after trying the same thing as you. One Stilson on the tube, near the welded end and the other on the nut.Prop on the ground, Stilsons on, pushed down and job done. Replaced the same way.
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 16th, 2013, 17:38   #147
Andrew (UK)
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarterless View Post
I didn't get the diff seal changed as I had wanted as I need to make a tool to lock the diff flange while I undo the nut. Does anyone have ideas for a tool? Or experience of doing this job?
I tried some angle iron to hold the diff flange still while undoing the nut and that just failed on my 1800S. In the end I got a DeWalt 18V impact wrench which removed the nut without too much fuss. You need a big torque wrench to do it back up again. I don't think I got up to the full 250 ftlbs but I got close using a couple of bolts through adjacent flange holes and a breaker bar - at least that's what I think I did. Mind you I have not driven the car since so I don't really know how safe this was. The gear box shop that I talked to were insisting that the preload and clearances etc all needed to be checked if that nut was undone but I don't think that is true, I think they just wanted the work.
Andrew (UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew (UK) For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 16th, 2013, 18:49   #148
Volvo_133
VOC member

When confronted with torque issues,such as this and rear brake drums, i centre pop the nut and shaft, then count the number of turns to remove the nut.Perform this in reverse on assembly until centre pops are lined up,then all should be ok.
chris
Volvo_133 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Volvo_133 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 17th, 2013, 14:04   #149
Quarterless
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
"Fronts less easy but no compressors needed. I think you've done all that so nothing new there.

One Stilson on the tube, near the welded end and the other on the nut.Prop on the ground, Stilsons on, pushed down and job done. Replaced the same way.
When I did the fronts before I just cut everything off as it was so rotten it would not undo. The reason I asked this was because when I put them back on I used a large metal cabinet clamp to compress the spring which I now no longer have. Could a ratchet strap be used to compress the spring to take the strain off the strut?

In regards to the prop I had it held in a massive vice and still nothing. The only thing I didn't try with it was heat, as I have not got a heat gun at present.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew (UK) View Post
impact wrench.
That sounds like a plan and I think I have a friend with one that I can borrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo_133 View Post
centre pop the nut and shaft,
Great idea! I knew it was a good idea to ask on here!
Old Apr 17th, 2013, 19:00   #150
Andrew (UK)
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarterless View Post
That sounds like a plan and I think I have a friend with one that I can borrow.
You do need a *good* impact wrench. When I checked the specs there were many that did not have sufficient torque.

Andrew
Andrew (UK) is offline   Reply With Quote