Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bang, clunk, sparks, No alternator pulley.

Views : 1324

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 10th, 2023, 17:26   #1
cogs

Default Bang, clunk, sparks, No alternator pulley.

Last night I driving back home when there is a sudden Bang, clunk and I see from the side window a trail of sparks go down the road. The steering goes hard and the charging warning light along with the airbag and abs warning light come on. I also loose the dipped headlights.

I looked under the bonnet and the alternator pulley is gone. There is remains of the centre part but the rest gone. I guess the clutch in the pulley just gave out and shot out under the car. I thought it would have been made of alloy so the sparks surprised me.

Does anyone know a good place to get a new pulley, usual place doesn't have them.

Any info appreciated, the car is a 2 litre petrol Volvo engine V40 SE.

Last edited by cogs; Dec 10th, 2023 at 18:18.
cogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2023, 18:53   #2
Dippydog
Premier Member

I don't know whether such things would be listed on e-bay? Or perhaps you could try a local auto electricians? personally I think I'd put another alternator[and a new belt]on it perhaps a good used one from a breakers?
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2023, 11:26   #3
cogs

I finally managed to get the correct pulley from motor factors. Their computer insisted it was the same one that fits some V70 with a 14.5 internal diameter but I needed a 12.5mm diameter. I finally convinced them to let me look at there listings and found it.

It amazes me nowadays that no one can think for themselves and blindly does was the "computer says because the computer is always correct. Reminds me of the Little Britain Joke, the computer says.

When AI wants to take over the human race all it has to do is tell everyone to jump off a cliff and 75% of the population probably would.

I've decided to change the timing belt while I'm at it but the crank pulley nut won't shift even with my 450nm torque gun. Oh well, ain't cars fun.
Old Dec 20th, 2023, 14:15   #4
magnuz
Ancient

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogs View Post
I finally managed to get the correct pulley from motor factors. Their computer insisted it was the same one that fits some V70 with a 14.5 internal diameter but I needed a 12.5mm diameter. I finally convinced them to let me look at there listings and found it.

It amazes me nowadays that no one can think for themselves and blindly does was the "computer says because the computer is always correct. Reminds me of the Little Britain Joke, the computer says.

When AI wants to take over the human race all it has to do is tell everyone to jump off a cliff and 75% of the population probably would.

I've decided to change the timing belt while I'm at it but the crank pulley nut won't shift even with my 450nm torque gun. Oh well, ain't cars fun.
You don't normally need to remove the crank pulley to do the timing belt,if you remove the small plastic bottom guard ,it is usually possible to twist the timing belt slightly & feed it through the gap .
magnuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2023, 13:57   #5
cogs

Cool

I thought I was going to have to resort to that but luckily after a couple days of repeated soaking with maintainance spray it shifted this morning making the job easier, almost. Now on to the next hurdle getting the vvt pulley to bits for a good clean.