Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What did you do to your 850/X70 today???

Views : 147791

Replies : 929

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 26th, 2019, 13:54   #261
ASt85
Premier Member

Smile

Finally got round to changing the cabin filter in the C70..........judging by the state of it and the fact it was an original Volvo full black part numbered cartridge, I think it must have been the original from the car's mfc in 2004/5.

At least I can use the compacted and crushed leaves in the compost!!!

Front cross brace is next on the easy to do list................think I'll leave the N/S/F window for now

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto

Last edited by ASt85; Jun 26th, 2019 at 13:57.
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2019, 14:25   #262
Cookeh
Premier Member

Had Stoneacre Volvo come and collect it for the heated seat recall, which somehow was still outstanding (22 years later!). Won't fix my heated seats of course as one of the wires is broken, but when I fix that wire...

Sadly they have infuriated me by washing the car. I asked them not to three times since booking it in, it was listed in the notes, the chap who collected it knew it wasn't to be washed, the chap who did the recall knew it wasn't to be washed, and there was a note in the car saying not to be washed. Yet, somehow, this all escaped the service manager who sent it to be washed.

She couldn't possibly comprehend that I wouldn't want it washed ("Is there any reason you didn't want it washed?" "You know it is free, sir?" "It's a complimentary offer we give on all services, sir") but at least sounded vaguely apologetic on the phone.
Old Jun 26th, 2019, 15:37   #263
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookeh View Post
Had Stoneacre Volvo come and collect it for the heated seat recall, which somehow was still outstanding (22 years later!). Won't fix my heated seats of course as one of the wires is broken, but when I fix that wire...

Sadly they have infuriated me by washing the car. I asked them not to three times since booking it in, it was listed in the notes, the chap who collected it knew it wasn't to be washed, the chap who did the recall knew it wasn't to be washed, and there was a note in the car saying not to be washed. Yet, somehow, this all escaped the service manager who sent it to be washed.

She couldn't possibly comprehend that I wouldn't want it washed ("Is there any reason you didn't want it washed?" "You know it is free, sir?" "It's a complimentary offer we give on all services, sir") but at least sounded vaguely apologetic on the phone.
You can't trust anyone to do anything you ask especially if it deviates from their normal routine.. Out of interest is it due to washing off wax you've put on or what?

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak
StatusRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2019, 16:20   #264
Cookeh
Premier Member

Due to witnessing the way they 'wash' cars. 1 sponge in 1 single bucket of water that is used for the entire lot and that gets left on the pavement between washes to pick up whatever grit and debris is around. It's just begging for scratches and swirls.

They then either dry it with a single cloth chamois (great for more scratches and swirls) or leave it to air dry (which leads to water spots and residues from any remaining product which can then etch the clearcoat and leave permanent marks).

Washing off whatever wax is on there is, as you correctly stated, another reason. I have no idea what cleaners they use, if they are alkaline or acidic there is a very good chance they'll strip the wax off it - leaving the car with no protection.
Old Jun 26th, 2019, 18:49   #265
Dancake
Premier Member

Replaced the front struts with all new parts. No more squeaking over speed bumps or bouncing round corners.
Dancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2019, 08:23   #266
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Last MoT the car was fine except for the handbrake, which only just passed by a whisker. The rear disks were looking quite crummy too, and the pads fairly worn, although the main brakes passed no problem. So yesterday I decided to replace the disks and pads at the rear.

Not a hard job, but afterwards still pretty poor handbrake, and yes, I did adjust it correctly by backing the cables right off until the individual handbrake mechs were adjusted up. I also cleaned and roughed up the shoe friction surfaces.

I think with new disks the handbrake shoes are not making great contact with the drums, so I'll wait for it to bed in a bit before doing anything else, last time it had new disks this improved it quite a bit. Gentle application of the handbrake while moving tends to help the bedding in process. They're Pagid items (allegedly OEM quality) and come with all the surfaces covered in a thin coat of silver paint, so this will need to wear off first before I can truly judge the result.
Old Jul 2nd, 2019, 17:18   #267
volvo again
Master Member

Getting mine ready for the MOT in a couple of weeks, handbrake needed adjusting and thought I would change brake fluid...guess what?? both rear bleed nipples seized, replacements ordered so a job for the week end.
Meanwhile fitted a pair of roof rails obtained from Lithuania, expected trouble removing roof trim with broken clips but all went well.
Next job, machine polish and wax.
volvo again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2019, 22:14   #268
StatusRed
Premier Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo again View Post
Getting mine ready for the MOT in a couple of weeks, handbrake needed adjusting and thought I would change brake fluid...guess what?? both rear bleed nipples seized, replacements ordered so a job for the week end.
Meanwhile fitted a pair of roof rails obtained from Lithuania, expected trouble removing roof trim with broken clips but all went well.
Next job, machine polish and wax.
3 out of 4 of my C70s calipers have seized bleed nipples.. Went to change the calipers and those bolts are seized too! So I've left the overhaul as a job for the garage but I've got all the parts.

Old Jul 4th, 2019, 10:10   #269
ASt85
Premier Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatusRed View Post
3 out of 4 of my C70s calipers have seized bleed nipples.. Went to change the calipers and those bolts are seized too! So I've left the overhaul as a job for the garage but I've got all the parts.
Wire brush around the bleed nipples (the small brass wire type are is best for this) then spray them with PlusGas several times, leaving a couple of hours between sprays. TIGHTEN fractionally, then wind out in the normal way using a socket rather than a ring spanner - same applies to the caliper bolts but use a steel wire brush.

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto

Last edited by ASt85; Jul 4th, 2019 at 10:14.
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2019, 19:19   #270
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASt85 View Post
Wire brush around the bleed nipples (the small brass wire type are is best for this) then spray them with PlusGas several times, leaving a couple of hours between sprays. TIGHTEN fractionally, then wind out in the normal way using a socket rather than a ring spanner - same applies to the caliper bolts but use a steel wire brush.
Tried and tried again.

The Following User Says Thank You to StatusRed For This Useful Post: