Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What did you do to your 850/X70 today???

Views : 148292

Replies : 929

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 4th, 2019, 21:01   #271
EMM

Went down the scrap yard and got

Brake Master Pressure switch (and fitted)
Front lower under tray

All for the sum of £10. Bargain
EMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2019, 23:05   #272
Dancake
Premier Member

Had a loud squeal under braking from the front end. Removed both front wheels and inspected everything. The only thing out of place was the passenger side brake disc retaining screw (also used to help locate the wheel properly), and the brake disc was actually able to move very slightly because the retaining screw wasn't tight. Someone had cross threaded it, so I re-tapped it and fitted a standard M6 screw. A quick road test confirmed that the noise had disappeared.
Dancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2019, 17:32   #273
volvo again
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancake View Post
Had a loud squeal under braking from the front end. Removed both front wheels and inspected everything. The only thing out of place was the passenger side brake disc retaining screw (also used to help locate the wheel properly), and the brake disc was actually able to move very slightly because the retaining screw wasn't tight. Someone had cross threaded it, so I re-tapped it and fitted a standard M6 screw. A quick road test confirmed that the noise had disappeared.
Surely the 5 wheel bolts would keep the disc on firmly???
Anyway seems you sorted it.
volvo again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2019, 18:10   #274
Dancake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo again View Post
I was expecting someone to ask that. With the wheel bolts on the disc didn't move. I should have stated that the brake disc was only able to move with the wheel off. It did however appear to be the cause of the noise
Dancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2019, 14:43   #275
volvo again
Master Member

MOT today...annoyed, it failed!!!
Failure? Headlight levelling system inoperative...
Last years test I had to replace both headlights as the reflectors were u/s, the new ones came with manual adjusters fitted so I left them as they were, passed no problem
New MOT rules now mean if it should have electric adjusters as standard fitment they must work...good job I kept the old ones, maybe I should have just removed the switch...
volvo again is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volvo again For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 9th, 2019, 18:15   #276
ASt85
Premier Member

Red face

Waiting whilst the MOT is done is worse the going to the dentist................

Changed the plugs today on the T5....don't think any more than pots 1, 2 and 3 had been changed since the car was built (approx 115K on the clock), all three way over tightened ! Pots 4 & 5 were much easier....pointing to someone not moving the turbo tube to get to the coils

The gaps on all were huge, literally no exposed electrodes left on 4 and 5!

I deftly broke the locking clip on pot number 3's coil connector when I removed it but managed to securely cable tie it back into position.

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ASt85 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 9th, 2019, 23:53   #277
Cookeh
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo again View Post
The disk retaining pin does so much more than just retain the disk. Volvos alu wheels are all hub balanced. The pin ensures the alloy can only be mounted in one orientation and hence ensures both hub and wheel stay balanced. Without the pin you can mount the alloy in multiple different ways all of which would be out of balance and give the symptoms described.
Old Jul 10th, 2019, 12:07   #278
volvo2
Master Member

Default Turned 200,000 miles

A rewarding milestone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3Lr...ature=youtu.be
volvo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2019, 12:57   #279
happy diver
Active Member Moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookeh View Post
The disk retaining pin does so much more than just retain the disk. Volvos alu wheels are all hub balanced. The pin ensures the alloy can only be mounted in one orientation and hence ensures both hub and wheel stay balanced. Without the pin you can mount the alloy in multiple different ways all of which would be out of balance and give the symptoms described.

you might want to rethink all that mate

20,000 leagues under the sea diving to adventure
in a silent world with my ceiling the waves...Emile
happy diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2019, 13:59   #280
Cookeh
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy diver View Post
you might want to rethink all that mate

If you could Google the issue, and read Volvos own statements on their aluminium wheels being hub-balanced which would, therefore, require the wheel to be mounted in the same place on the hub each time to maintain that balance, you may arrive at a different place in thought yourself. I would question why if the pin is just there to secure the disk that it has any length sticking out to locate the rim and is not a simple screw - like with any other manufacturer. Doesn't make much sense to go to the effort of designing and making a new fastener if it doesn't have a specific purpose when there are plenty of fasteners on the car already that could hold a disk in place. This does not apply to all wheels, only the hub-balanced aluminium wheels. Wheel-stud centred wheels will not have the lugs that force one orientation (as you so kindly pictured).

To quote Volvo: "Most of the competitor wheels are adapted to suit most cars, which means that very often they are centred to the wheel studs. This makes for poor centering and results in imbalance. This in combination with wide tyres is a very uncomfortable combination for the owner.
Volvo aluminium wheels are centred to the hub with very small tolerances. This in combination with small lateral throw and roundness tolerance make for good wheel balance."

If you have something other than hearsay that shows simply that the pin is only there for the purpose of keeping the disk in place, please do post it up. I am always happy to learn the true purpose or correct way of doing things. I believe it's always better to be wrong but learn something than to be ignorant and believe I'm right. Just seems too co-incidental that a hub-balanced wheel which has a specific gap for that specific pin would not actually make use of the pin for anything.

Last edited by Cookeh; Jul 10th, 2019 at 14:06.
Cookeh is offline   Reply With Quote