Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What did you do to your 850/X70 today???

Views : 148327

Replies : 929

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 28th, 2019, 00:58   #291
StatusRed
Premier Member

Did an oil change yesterday, car is almost ready to be MoTed and (hopefully) put back on the road, just waiting for new numberplates to arrive.

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak
StatusRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2019, 22:27   #292
Martin Cox
VOC Member

In light of a tale of woe concerning corrosion behind the rear wheel liners, I thought I'd better have a look at mine before doing anything else.

Did the offside today. A few spots of surface rust here and there but nothing significant. Anyway it's been cleaned up and treated with various Bilt-Hamber products. I'll do the other side later in the week.

Martin
Martin Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Martin Cox For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 29th, 2019, 23:34   #293
isettaman

Default Power Steering Pump

Replaced my noisy power steering pump with a s/hand one.
Watched Robert's youtube video and cracked on with it - he said 60 to 90mins, took me the thick part of four hours!
The process was fine, spent time tracking down the metal wedge I used last time for the serpentine belt tensioner, moved onto the bolts behind the pulley and discovered my standard sockets were too short and my long ones, too long so struggled a fair bit. Found all the bolts okay but couldn't get to the one under the water manifold despite my best efforts. I then had to resort to taking the whole lower bracket off and removing the offending bolt and plate together to sort on the bench.
Regarding the fluid, I used a suction syringe to suck the fluid out of the tank to avoid it all cascading onto the engine etc.
Robert doesn't mention that you will have to remove the n/s wheel and inner cover to gain access to put the belt back on the bottom pulley!
All in blazing sunshine up here in Yorkshire!
Dave
1976 Triumph T140V Bonneville Project
Wurlitzer 2150 Juke Box
isettaman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to isettaman For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 31st, 2019, 09:57   #294
t5panda

Finally tracked coolant leak to heater matrix - carpet wasn't wet but area fore of the gearstick, behind the dash was. So I've ordered parts today to fit at the weekend...
t5panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2019, 12:35   #295
acshortt5
Volvo Nutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by isettaman View Post
Robert doesn't mention that you will have to remove the n/s wheel and inner cover to gain access to put the belt back on the bottom pulley!
All in blazing sunshine up here in Yorkshire!
Dave
You don't "have to". The way I do it is all from above via the engine bay, drop the belt down and get it over the crank pulley first then onto the air con pulley, then under the tensioner wheel and alternator so I end up holding it taught near the power steering pulley with one hand. With the other hand I then back off the tensioner until I can slip the belt onto the power steering pulley. The last part is tough with a brand new belt but not impossible.

I confess that I cheated with my new power steering pump and had a garage do it at the same time as doing the cambelt/waterpump as it did look to be a bit of a pita job so well done for sorting it yourself!

1998 S70 T5 CD AUTO
Previously a 1990 240 GLT-R

Last edited by acshortt5; Jul 31st, 2019 at 12:38.
acshortt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to acshortt5 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 2nd, 2019, 20:53   #296
Richard_TD
Master Member

Following last week's MOT success I thought it was about time I gave it a service.

The plugs and oil filter seemed reasonably fresh but the fuel filter was pretty grim. As well as the oil, plugs and filters it got a new pair of track rod ends and I finally got round to fitting the aux belt that's been rattling around in the boot for months.

Old Aug 3rd, 2019, 11:23   #297
Martin Cox
VOC Member

Replaced the bonnet release cable; the one that runs betwen the two latches.

The outer casing has corroded at one end resulting in insufficent movement to operate the left hand latch. Fortunately I'd had the foresight to attach a piece of cord to the latch release that I could reach from under the car. So when the cable finally failed, at least getting the bonnet open wasn't a problem.

Martin
Martin Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2019, 14:08   #298
WozzaUK
2005 C70 2.0 T GT

Washed and polished and treated the soft top.
WozzaUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2019, 15:10   #299
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_TD View Post
Following last week's MOT success I thought it was about time I gave it a service.
Did a very similar service on mine recently. Found that my C70 had a cartridge type oil filter though rather than a spin on so had to do an emergency trip to ECP mid-way through the oil change!

Old Aug 9th, 2019, 08:02   #300
StatusRed
Premier Member

Got a phone call from the garage yesterday to say that my C70 has had it's new brakes fitted and the only thing to get it through an MoT will be a wishbone ball joint, so the car should be back on the road either today or tomorrow, fresh out of it's 3 year SORN sleep!

The Following User Says Thank You to StatusRed For This Useful Post: