Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General > PV, 120, 1800 Wants

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

5.5j wheels wanted

Views : 5750

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 8th, 2009, 23:57   #11
ClassicVolvoShop
Schrödinger's Cat Cph!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222s View Post
However are you sure that the 5.5J wheels aren't TUV approved?
No one - TÜV or any EU inspection stand above the factory specifications and amendments - Volvo disaproved them. But we all know reallity isn't always by the books.

Quote:
Virtually every German Amazon that I have seen pics of seems to have wider steels, and is also on their 'H' plates, which denote that it is (supposedly...) unmodified. Or is this just a case of the TUV testers not knowing?
Well, KPZ ("Kronprinz" - crownprince) wheels comes from Germany - and yes, it must be a matter of TÜV people/inspection guys not knowing.

Quote:
Also, there appear to be quite a few 5.5J wheels out there which are not banded (or claimed not banded). What are their origins?
Me not know - If the wheels doesn't exceed the allowed wheel track/ET - then they are OK (Minilite's are 5.5" and OK - if one like's that style).

Quote:
Estate & 1800 wheels are indeed not the same - according to an 1800 guru, the contour of the wheel rim sections are also slightly different, something to do with an extra ridge for holding wheel trim rings?
See my answer to Alf (above) - the contour-thing is actually a safety feature that came arround 1968 - making the tire stay on the rim/wheel if it flatens on the highway.

Last edited by ClassicVolvoShop; Jun 9th, 2009 at 00:06.
ClassicVolvoShop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ClassicVolvoShop For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 00:12   #12
222s
Amazoniste

Thanks for the info

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicVolvoShop View Post
the contour-thing is actually a safety feature that came arround 1968 - making the tire stay on the rim/wheel if it flatens on the highway.
Interesting - now I wish I could remember which wheel it was that had the tyre blow-out the other year when in the fast lane of an autobahn.... I had a mix of the ridged and non ridged wheels on my car (had to replace a pair quite a while ago due to severe rust). Whichever one it was, the tyre beading on both sides ended up right inside the well on the wheel rim, and the rim was running halfway down the sidewall..... Incidentally, the car was stable throughout, aside from the initial lurch towards the central reservation when the tyre let go.

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 17:51   #13
Alf ista
Premier Member

Excellent! Thanks ClassicVolvoShop. Once I get the wheels back from the painters I will check the number. It gets me wondering how wheels off a South American rallied Amazon ended up in Ireland, but then again my car came from Germany so who knows..... As they say round these parts: "Never let the truth get in the way of a good story".
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 18:40   #14
ciderman

Default 5.5j

if you get more than you want get in touch!
ciderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 08:28   #15
DJS

Default 5.5j Wheels

I have Volvo 5.5j wheels fitted to my Amazon. They are date stamped and come with a Volvo part number. They are not banded. Do you still want a photo of what they look like?
DJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 11:13   #16
Derek UK
VOC Member

Yes please, of all the numbers and stampings. Made by "Lemmerz" ?

I confess I've been one that's always said that the GT came with 4 1/2" wheels as standard but a more careful check of the parts book makes them
4" and the GT trims have the same number as the ones for standard wheels. I have an accessory book and that gives a different number for trims for the Estate and 1800.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 12:51   #17
ClassicVolvoShop
Schrödinger's Cat Cph!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJS View Post
I have Volvo 5.5j wheels fitted to my Amazon. They are date stamped and come with a Volvo part number. They are not banded. Do you still want a photo of what they look like?
Either,
- they are NOT Volvo wheels for the Amazon (120 series),
- or, your Amazon is fitted with a 1800 ES rear axel and hub from 140 on front end - or something similar, and you have 140 wheels,
- or, they are NOT 5.5" (5.5 inch) wheels.

Please provide the numbers stamped on the wheel/rim.. That will end any speculation and discussion.
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 14:24   #18
DJS

Hello Derik,

I will try to photograph the wheels this evening. If they are not Volvo wheels they were made using Volvo tooling. They are not ES or 140 wheels. The stud pattern is standard Amazon.
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 15:28   #19
Derek UK
VOC Member

I threw away 4 x 5 1/2" wheels last year. Sadly, they were far too rusty to restore. 3 had holes right through the outer tyre bead area when the tyres were removed and the rust chipped away. They had been on a long dead 123GT. Here's a pic of the centre of one of them. Note date, 1/70. All were dated the same. This one was the best one but had bad rust where the centre joins the rim.

Last edited by Derek UK; Jun 10th, 2009 at 15:31. Reason: addition
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2009, 09:18   #20
DJS

Default 5.5J Wheels

Gents, some photos of my 5.5j Wheels with part numbers.

They are not banded and as far as I could make out were an option offered by Volvo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2921.JPG (249.3 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2924.JPG (325.2 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Front.JPG (320.6 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Spare 1.JPG (305.8 KB, 24 views)