Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General > PV, 120, 1800 Wants

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Round chrome drivers side wing mirror.

Views : 8305

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 4th, 2011, 13:38   #21
Derek UK
VOC Member

The only "original" mirrors are the Volvo logo ones. Tex,Wingard, Stadium and numerous other UK brands were mostly fitted after they left the dealers. Problem with wing mirrors is that we've forgotten how to use them. Door mirrors are so universal, and mostly better, and have been with us for so long that it's hard to break the habit of looking there.
Mitch, pics of your wings in primer show the holes for the mirror screws still there. Did they get filled so that you could start from scratch? I have the GT type and they are, typically, forward of the wheel arch centre. There's a limit to how far back they can fitted before the screen pillar compromises the driver's side view. I'm about 5' 10" and the view in the nearside one is poor, even with the seats at max height and good seat webbing. If I had no outside mirrors at all I would try the door mirrors that have the arm pivot at the front. They used to be difficult/impossible to buy new but are now repro'd. With these you can reverse the quarter light for free A/C. You can't do this with the rear arm type fitted in the same position. However, before drilling the doors I'd see how I got on with the hot rod style "peep" mirrors with as big a mirror head as possible. Mirrors by the quarter lights do increase the wind noise in that area so good seals essential. Wind noise often decreases if you crack the quarterlight a bit as it helps to flow the air round the corner better.
I also have a tinted add on panoramic mirror that clips over the standard inside mirror which gives, in the estate, a full view of the rear window along with about half of each of the rear side windows. I've had one for years, the standard Volvo interior mirror is too small IMO, and recently found another one the same as my original one. Still available if you look around.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 4th, 2011, 13:59   #22
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Thanks Derek,

I spoke to Graeme the resto guy about the wing mirrors after the primer and he was going to fill one hole on each side as I haven't been able to sort the mirrors yet. I quite liked using the wing mirrors as it means you can keep looking forward when driving and I like the look of them as well. But I think you would be right in that door mirrors would be better and the image size would be larger as well being closer to the mirror.

Will have a look at the interior mirror as suggested, that makes sense to have a wider view.

Any ideas where to get a nice set of mirrors from? The round ones look good and probably more original but i suppose they are smaller than the more rectangular type.

Cheers,

Mitch
Burdekin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2011, 15:09   #23
Derek UK
VOC Member

The Tex ones seem to have the biggest available range and many do mix and match stems and heads, so it's your choice. Google finds many suppliers but the prices can vary quite a bit. Trawl through as many Amazon pics as you can to see how the various types look if you haven't done that, you probably have! As said, the NS one does need to be fairly high and angled out a bit for the best view but it's finding the form/function compromise that you can live with.
Early brochures show that Volvo fitted just one mirror to the NS on the estates, so many buyers would add the OS one.
Old Aug 4th, 2011, 21:34   #24
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Thanks Derek, I'll keep looking. I just seem to find ones I like, in keeping with the car and not silly money.
Burdekin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2011, 21:47   #25
agent_strangelove
Pastry Engineer

[QUOTE=Derek UK;959402]The only "original" mirrors are the Volvo logo ones. QUOTE]

I have to disagree. There were several styles of mirrors sold by Volvo (detailed in various accessory catalogs from that era) that bear no markings what so ever.

But I do agree with your statement that those other odd ball brands were most likely put on after the car left the dealer.

Chris
agent_strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2011, 23:08   #26
Derek UK
VOC Member

I'll accept that Chris, one style had Albert on them but I was generalising that the Volvo dealer would, not unreasonably, fit "Volvo" ones to a new car. There wasn't much choice until the late 60's, especially for the 1800 series.
Old Aug 8th, 2011, 09:28   #27
Volvo Canadian
Bury me in my Volvo

Hi - it's too late for me, but I'll chime-in. I do have a question, which I'll save until the end.

Mirrors. I am blind in one eye (left), so in Canada that means shoulder-checking is pretttty difficult. There are very, very few Volvos over here with the wing mirrors, and I always thought "What's the point of that?" Small field of view. Reading this it sounds like that is the case alright, but I agree, they do look sharp. I bought the rectangular ones for both sides, the one on the far-side as much for looks as anything though, as I know from experience they can't be turned enough to sit where they need to. Fair-enough, but unless someone says different, the only way to make that mirror functional is to put a big convex bubble on it, which is what I did. I tried it out in all kinds of places, but in the end, just placed it where I thought it looked the best.

Kinda cavalier for someone who needs all the help he can get? No. When I was in my early 20's, a friend gave me a "racing mirror," or "taxi mirror" - it goes all the way across the top of the window, and has five flat mirrors in it, fanning-out at different angles. I've fit it in all my 122's over the years, and it is great, if a bit ugly, and a bit chaotic if you are not used-to it, as the views in the mirrors overlap! So, Derek - do-tell about what you have; I didn't know anything else like mine (improved, mind-you) was available.
Volvo Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2011, 12:41   #28
Derek UK
VOC Member

I'll try and do a pic that shows the field of view with mine. Meanwhile, a quick Google found this site in the UK with some supplied to meet the needs of the disabled. I'm definately not including you in that group James!
http://www.mobilityconversions.com/mirror.html
For the USA http://www.nextag.com/mirror-panoram...ew/stores-html Lots of choice there. I think your multi mirror was one of a type they called "Wink" mirrors. I know what you mean about them being a bit overwhelming, even my one has a rather dominant view until you get used to it.
I have a friend in the same situation as you and he has a small kidney shaped wide angle mirror mounted on the dash just inside the A post to augment his outside door mirror. I don't know how well it works.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 9th, 2011, 06:09   #29
Volvo Canadian
Bury me in my Volvo

Hi - Thanks. Do you have the 12" or the 18"?? I can live with what I've got, 'cause it works so -well, but cannot use my visors.

Jim
Volvo Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2011, 22:13   #30
Derek UK
VOC Member

This is a pic of the one I have. It shows the extent of the view behind. Taken this afternoon but stupidly, I didn't measure the width of the mirror. I would guess at 10"" and yes it does does stop the visors going full forward but I can live with that. If you know you're going to drive into the sun for many miles you can just flip them forward and readjust the mirror.

One out on the road with cars etc would be better!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post: