Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40 1997 Stereo replacement (slim)

Views : 784

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 20th, 2019, 20:20   #1
smokeyjoe

Default S40 1997 Stereo replacement (slim)

Hello,

I have a 1997 S40 SE. I want to upgrade the stereo as the one I have only has a cassette player. The issue I have is that the factory fitted one seems to be hard-wired in. There is the usual sockets but there is also a power lead that is fixed into the back of the stereo.

All the videos on YouTube show the big square stereo systems and there are none that I can find showing the slim (same size as modern off the shelf stereos) ones. The car has an electrical arial and I suspect that is what the cable is for. If that is the case, how would I get that to work with a new stereo?

I'm hoping somebody has had this issue before and found a work around.

Many thanks
smokeyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2019, 19:11   #2
smokeyjoe

Default Bump - Please can I have a answer

I can't believe my post has been ignored. Even a "Sorry, this can't be done" would be helpful.

Can I just snip the electric ariel at the stereo and find a new connector somewhere for the new stereo.

Please don't ignore me.
Old Nov 4th, 2019, 19:32   #3
M4ss4

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyjoe View Post
I can't believe my post has been ignored. Even a "Sorry, this can't be done" would be helpful.

Can I just snip the electric ariel at the stereo and find a new connector somewhere for the new stereo.

Please don't ignore me.
I don't have any direct experience with this. But I have lots of audio installation experience on many cars. I believe the aerial should be able to be powered from an aftermarket head unit. iirc some stereos have a powered aerial cable for this. If not the remote wire out (typically used with amplifiers) may be able to do it.
M4ss4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2019, 20:03   #4
smokeyjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4ss4 View Post
I don't have any direct experience with this. But I have lots of audio installation experience on many cars. I believe the aerial should be able to be powered from an aftermarket head unit. iirc some stereos have a powered aerial cable for this. If not the remote wire out (typically used with amplifiers) may be able to do it.
Thanks for your reply. I've found lots of videos online but they only show the large stereos that have standard arial connectors. It seems my stereo is very uncommon. It seems that it should just pull out but I've given it some force and it will not budge which it is why I think it is hard wired.

I made the mistake of buying a new stereo before removing the old one
Old Nov 4th, 2019, 20:07   #5
M4ss4

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. I've found lots of videos online but they only show the large stereos that have standard arial connectors. It seems my stereo is very uncommon. It seems that it should just pull out but I've given it some force and it will not budge which it is why I think it is hard wired.

I made the mistake of buying a new stereo before removing the old one
Any chance of some photos?
M4ss4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2019, 14:50   #6
domhart10
Volvo S40

Quote:

Please don't ignore me.
It might of helped if you posted in the correct section of the forum for your car, you have also posted in the for sale section within the wrong forum as well unless you are selling the stero you are removing?

You want to be posting in the below section of the forum for the older platform S40.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=17

I have an old S40 with all the options, maybe instead of going aftermarket just source a second hand one that has all the options you need. Should be a direct replacement then?

Mine has Tape / CD, for any aux I just use a tape to aux to play music from my phone, that way I keep it looking original as well as the info system stuff being left alone

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
s40 2.0 audio, stereo problem