Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Alternator change / V70 Tdi..

Views : 1114

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 4th, 2019, 16:16   #1
tdidave
V70 TDi CD

Question Alternator change / V70 Tdi..

Hi everybody.. Happy New Year to you all..

It seems for the greater number of my posts about my 1998 V70 Tdi CD I'm in France with a problem.. ha ha..

To get straight to the point, my alternator is shot, and I've got to change it. I've got a new one coming from Germany at a very reasonable price, and with luck it should be here sometime next week, so.. I need to start getting my head into mechanics mode.

Now.. I've done just about everything to this car, including two engine rebuilds, so I'm pretty conversant with it, but.. being a really OLD guy now.. the old memory isn't what it was. So if any of you can refresh my memory as to removing the alternator from the D5252T lump I'd be most grateful.

I'm pretty sure the engine cover and steering fluid pump has to be moved, cos there doesn't seem to be a lot of room, to get what is quite a large alternator.. out.

Many thanks in advance for any ideas.. Dave..

My old Turquoise 850 TDi GLT & my present Garnet Red V70 TDi CD

My 1998 V70 TDi CD : http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/album.php?albumid=654
tdidave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2019, 04:26   #2
Baffler
Premier Member

Hey, Dave, many happy returns to you and yours for 2019!

Fortunately, in my personal opinion, our cars were over engineered so we don't have a great deal to complain about

If you slacken off the retaining screws/bolts that hold the alternator in place, one or two revolutions should do, and if you can get a copper mallet or engineers hammer to the head of the bolt before you completely remove the screw/bolt, that should release the captive/tapered nut on the other side of the bracket that will be pressed against the alternator housing. This should make for easy removal/refitting otherwise it will prove difficult!

Given your experience the rest should be child's play!

Good luck!

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Baffler For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 5th, 2019, 10:24   #3
tdidave
V70 TDi CD

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffler View Post
Hey, Dave, many happy returns to you and yours for 2019!

Fortunately, in my personal opinion, our cars were over engineered so we don't have a great deal to complain about

If you slacken off the retaining screws/bolts that hold the alternator in place, one or two revolutions should do, and if you can get a copper mallet or engineers hammer to the head of the bolt before you completely remove the screw/bolt, that should release the captive/tapered nut on the other side of the bracket that will be pressed against the alternator housing. This should make for easy removal/refitting otherwise it will prove difficult!

Given your experience the rest should be child's play!

Good luck!
Many thanks Liam.. I appreciate your reply..

Yes, I certainly agree about the over engineering of these cars. That's why I want to hang on to the old gal as long as possible if I can.

Its a pity I can't say the same about my memory.. its not doing my experience with these motors any favours. The last time I did any major engine work was in the late Jan/early Feb of 2015. If my memory isn't playing tricks I'm sure I had to get the steering pump out of the way.. and that's definitely something that looks like the brackets were especially fashioned for getting the Audi/Vag motor into the Volvo.

Still, I'll succeed, I always do, and the alternator hasn't done bad. Its probably the original on 260,000 miles +.

If you want a laugh re my Tdi and its French experiences.. my mammoth thread on engine wrecks is here..

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=85720

Many thanks again.. Dave..

Old Mar 5th, 2019, 15:10   #4
Baffler
Premier Member

Hi, Dave, yes I remember your build thread well. All credit to you for your perseverance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdidave View Post
If my memory isn't playing tricks I'm sure I had to get the steering pump out of the way.. and that's definitely something that looks like the brackets were especially fashioned for getting the Audi/Vag motor into the Volvo.
You will need to remove the engine cover, the plastic air intake to ECU housing, the auxiliary belt and its idler pulley (which I think hinders access to one of the alternator bolts), the power steering pump and it's bracket assembly. You can leave the pump to one side, wrap a cloth around it to catch any fluid, and I think that should give you enough clearance to manoeuvre the alternator out.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Baffler For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 5th, 2019, 16:50   #5
tdidave
V70 TDi CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffler View Post
Hi, Dave, yes I remember your build thread well. All credit to you for your perseverance!

You will need to remove the engine cover, the plastic air intake to ECU housing, the auxiliary belt and its idler pulley (which I think hinders access to one of the alternator bolts), the power steering pump and it's bracket assembly. You can leave the pump to one side, wrap a cloth around it to catch any fluid, and I think that should give you enough clearance to manoeuvre the alternator out.
Thank you very much for that Liam.. got it!

The brand new alternator arrived at my house here in France from Germany at dinner time today 5/03/19. I only ordered it yesterday morning. It was only about £20 dearer than used alternator's people were trying to flog in the UK. I'm really pleased..

I'll post when the jobs done. I'm up to my eyes and armpits in building a bathroom at the moment..

Dave..

Last edited by tdidave; Mar 5th, 2019 at 17:13.
Old Mar 6th, 2019, 19:39   #6
tdidave
V70 TDi CD

Angry

Well.. I thought I'd give it a go and get the old alternator out late this afternoon. Bad move, after two hours and no joy getting the alternator out I had to walk away from it, and have a go in the morning.. what a pitta..

I've read a couple of other threads on the forum regarding this alternator removal job, and I'm glad I'm not alone in the frustration and bad language stakes regarding this job.

However.. I'm going to sleep on it, and apply a couple of suggestions in the other two threads concerning this job, mainly removing the headlight, and freeing up the radiator on the drivers side.

I love this old TDi, but there are a few things under the bonnet that definitely say.. this engine was bought in from Audi/Vag so expect things to be awkward to get at..

I'm off for a glass of wine..

Dave..

The Following User Says Thank You to tdidave For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 6th, 2019, 20:35   #7
huron
Master Member

Cool

I've had two out and don't remember any major problem. What seems to be the holdup?
Old Mar 6th, 2019, 21:29   #8
tdidave
V70 TDi CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by huron View Post
I've had two out and don't remember any major problem. What seems to be the holdup?
The hold up huron is quite simple at this moment in time at least.. I cannot remove the alternator from its place of refuge despite trying to free it using a myriad of different positions.

All the normal procedures have been carried out to give the supposed elbow room to be able to remove the alternator. I'm someone who definitely has infinite patience, but alas, I had to walk away from the job this evening because I simply could not succeed with said removal..

Alas.. hopefully after a nights sleep and a bowl of porridge for breakfast the task tomorrow will tackled with more favourable results gained..

Old Mar 7th, 2019, 22:39   #9
tdidave
V70 TDi CD

Well.. I did it.. but what an absolute pig of a job. Made worse by a biting NW wind, heavy showers and mud!

As much as I love my old TDi, changing that alternator just about did for me today, and I'm damn good on the tools. Ok, the weather didn't help, but jeez.. it pointed out to me that there are certain things that try your patience, and then some, and this was one of them.

As for the bracket arrangement for the steering fluid reservoir/pump.. even Heath Robinson wouldn't own up to something like that..

I did end up taking out the drivers side headlight, and loosening off the drivers side radiator support bolt, (it snapped off), so I had to fashion a wedge to hold the rad in place. It worked and is secure.

So yes.. all done. The new alternator is in place and I can now go out after dark..

Last edited by tdidave; Mar 7th, 2019 at 23:07.