Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

£1950 ??? how much!!

Views : 3554

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 20th, 2010, 10:55   #11
Downton

Default Its a Forum thing..

Dont take it to heart 240_turbo,as a rule you find that if someone is selling its worth a kings ransom as it once drove through some poo left by a royal corgi but if your buying there was always a much better lower mileage one that your mate bought a week ago for 25 quid....Used to get worked up about this sort of thing myself so now I just just take Vodka until I see the funny side of it! ............Erm anyone got a spare liver for sale cheap??
Downton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 11:39   #12
Downton

Default Damn the dreaded drink!

meant to add... Winner of "Best Working Car" at this years' Volvo owners club event and I am sure there was plenty of competition.....take the view that you want affordable luxury,reliable safe and enjoyable motoring with the added bonus of mahoosive load carrying ,wave your £1950 about and this looks a pretty good bet...Alternatively you could get "His and Hers CINQUECENTO,s " and have 1500 quid left towards a holiday but maybe that thought should be left out in the cold and given no more regard..

Disclaimer..
This post bears no malice to man ,beast nor make of car...No intention to offend anyone,thing or entity on the part of the forum member was knowingly entered into and is soley the opinion of the the sad individual sat at his PC on a saturday morning looking busy in a vain attempt to put off going shopping with the better half where not only is he nagged and dragged into clothes shops where he never has the right answer to " does this look ok?" but feels deeply for the other poor souls in the same situation who clearly from their expressions could be doing much better things with their time...
Downton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 12:38   #13
skysurfer
VOC Member

I'm with you on this 940 TDZ. Best to go along and see the car or at least speak to the owner first before making disparaging remarks. It's only really worth what someone is prepared to pay........like the guy who was happy to fork out £43m+ for that old chinese vase !
skysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2010, 16:01   #14
scooters

Quote:
Originally Posted by 940_Turbo View Post

There are very few really good 240s left. The vast majority have rust issues and interstellar mileage. You couldn't begin to put a tatty 240 bought for a few hundred pounds back into decent order for the kind of money being asked for this one. Just to re paint one to a half decent standard will cost a minimum of £1500. If you can do it yourself there is £400 worth of paint on a car. Just have a look at the sheer amount of labour going into some of the projects being documented.
sorry but you are wrong - there are many many decent 240s out there - I picked up a mint one for £700 2 months back and viewed about 5 in equally good condition

Yes, it is a free market but if those who know a lot about 240s - ie 240 enthusiasts feel it is overpriced based on their experience then why not share it? folk can chose to ignore or accept the advice.

I believe he's about £500 quid too high on this one - trophy aside, it is only an SE and it is a 2lt....

good luck to him though - looks well cared for even though the vendor hasn't provided enough info or photos to do it justice.

If you are asking for top dollar on ebay then you need to get the camera out and show us the nasty bits - a service breakdown helps as well

Last edited by scooters; Nov 23rd, 2010 at 16:05.
scooters is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scooters For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 23rd, 2010, 23:17   #15
940_Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooters View Post
sorry but you are wrong - l
No I'm not. The price is an irrelevance. The simple fact is that to deliberately set out to trash someone's auction on a public forum is dishonest and discourteous. I don't know what the motive is. Perhaps people see it as a tool for forcing the price down.

One person makes a thread, another pitches in with the comment that it must be clocked. It is ridiculous.

If people are interested go look at it. If you can't afford it don't buy it, want something cheaper go find it. These threads are not based on any actual knowledge of what is being sold, they're purely there because a few bottom feeders think it is fun to be negative.
940_Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2010, 11:53   #16
Lucien
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240 View Post
£1950 ??? how much!!
Price seems OK to me if it's a show winner (best working car) and the mechanical and body condition is tip-top and it has good history. A few 240s have sold for a lot more than that in the last few months. Prices seem to be on the up. Photos would certainly help assess condition, but you'd have to go and have a look to make a proper evaluation.

The flip-side is that there are also plenty around for a lot less in generally good condition.

The estates seem to get a harder life than the saloons, so possibly more unusual to find one in very good condition.

The market will set the price.
Lucien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2010, 12:51   #17
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by azibux1 View Post
Oops, I didnt realise they go up to 6 figures, I thought it only goes up to 99,000.
There would be no point in a mileometer that only recorded running-in mileage.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2010, 12:56   #18
BOB MY BIG OLD BUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford Pope View Post
There would be no point in a mileometer that only recorded running-in mileage.
haha thats funny, thanks, thats certainly lightened this thread up a bit it was getting boring
240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2010, 12:59   #19
matbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooters View Post
trophy aside, it is only an SE and it is a 2lt....

Bah!! And what is wrong with the SE... ? I will not hear a bad word against it :P

That said mine is a 2.3. ;-) lol
Old Nov 24th, 2010, 15:48   #20
scooters

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by 940_Turbo View Post
No I'm not. The price is an irrelevance. The simple fact is that to deliberately set out to trash someone's auction on a public forum is dishonest and discourteous. I don't know what the motive is. Perhaps people see it as a tool for forcing the price down.

One person makes a thread, another pitches in with the comment that it must be clocked. It is ridiculous.

If people are interested go look at it. If you can't afford it don't buy it, want something cheaper go find it. These threads are not based on any actual knowledge of what is being sold, they're purely there because a few bottom feeders think it is fun to be negative.
Yes, you are wrong - wrong about there being few good examples of the 240 out there - there are many good examples of the Volvo 240.

And yes, whilst it is a free market I don't see anything wrong with somone expressing an opinion on a relevant site like this one, that they feel the price is too high. You will see there are those who agree and those who don't - I believe it is about £500 quid too high but if he sells it quickly then I will be proved wrong. I don't believe I am being either dishonest or discouteous sharing that opinion, and my opinion is based around market factors ie other examples, excellent examples, that i have seen, owned and sold, is as valid as it would be had I seen the vehicle in question. I am sure that those seriously interested will consider the car and judging by the questions he is being asked it is attracting some intersting feedback.

I also don't understand why you feel that the OP is dishonest or discourteous - in a free market prices set themselves by demand and supply and potential buyers are more than entitled to debate the value of the goods offered as freedom of action and speech is essential in a free market. Yes, he is entitled to set a price in a free market but it is the market that will determine what he is likely to actually get. That is why it is a free market!

If anything a 240 forum would be better off talking UP the price rather than down.

I would reiterate that the vendor has done himself no favours with the quality of the ebay listing
scooters is offline   Reply With Quote