Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Squeaky rear suspension V70 2008

Views : 15653

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 21st, 2017, 08:27   #21
Model flyer
Master Member

Re the bushes being a DIY job . I think thy are definitely a DIY job for anyone with a bit of car DIY experience . The reason I didn't want to do mine is that I had just recently bought the car and the dealer had offered to pay . In the event he supplied the parts,genuine Volvo and I had to pick up the tab for the labour which he said he would pay me later ? Never trust a dealer ! I got what I thought was a good deal on other stuff from the dealer so didn't chase it. If you have the tool for removing/replacing the bush or can hire it then its a reasonably simple job and can be done on the car. If you have to buy the tool it gets more expensive unless you intend to keep the car fora few sets of bushes.
Bushes still nice and quiet but don't do so many miles these days.

Green Man Van . The bushes that came off , Like the front suspension parts I changed later had FoMoCo stamped on them ; so suspect they are common/identical with the Mondeo.

Previous Volvos 740 GLE . V40 CD ,V70 2.4 SE LPT.V70 D5 P2. V70 D5 Se Lux P3. Current Jaguar XF Sportbrake but still like Volvos

Last edited by Model flyer; Mar 21st, 2017 at 08:30.
Model flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Model flyer For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 21st, 2017, 09:21   #22
Semnoz

Thanks guys - much appreciated.

I'll see if I can get a bushing removal tool that can be used on different cars, depending on whether the required inserts are available. My other car is a Focus Mk2.5 estate, so in theory that might need the rear trailing arm bushes done at some point (currently on 50k).

Or I could just take a punt at a cheap remover, such as the one below that looks like someone made it in their garage:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2528006308...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I need to get the front tracking done, so if I replace the bushings myself, I'll get the car in for 4-wheel tracking immediately after.

Will report back results. I'm anticipating a 'bitch of a job'
Old Mar 24th, 2017, 11:50   #23
Semnoz

I've received the trailing arm front bush assemblies, and removal/fitting tool, but I'm now unsure whether they need replacing or not (I should have checked before ordering !).

The rubber is slightly cracked, but doesn't look worn out enough to cause any 'metal-on'metal' squeaking:

So I'm wondering what other components could be causing the squeaking, but having looked at the other bushes/links (and there are loads of them on this car !) I can't see anything that's completely worn away or deteriorated.

And I can't reproduced the squeaking using a trolley jack and bar....so now guessing.

Perhaps I'll bite the bullet and take it to a Volvo indie for an assessment, e.g. just pay them 1/2 labour to find the cause of the noise.
Old Mar 24th, 2017, 17:43   #24
Model flyer
Master Member

Hi They do look like they are delaminating due to rust creeping between the rubber and the bush the technical term is "Knackered". If the noise stops when they get wet then they need replacing . Mine didn't look broken up but looked similar to yours . once de-laminated the whole bush becomes unstable allowing more movement and the rubber can turn in the bushing. Try levering lightly with a pry bar and you should see the movement.

Previous Volvos 740 GLE . V40 CD ,V70 2.4 SE LPT.V70 D5 P2. V70 D5 Se Lux P3. Current Jaguar XF Sportbrake but still like Volvos
Old Mar 24th, 2017, 21:52   #25
Semnoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model flyer View Post
Hi They do look like they are delaminating due to rust creeping between the rubber and the bush the technical term is "Knackered". If the noise stops when they get wet then they need replacing . Mine didn't look broken up but looked similar to yours . once de-laminated the whole bush becomes unstable allowing more movement and the rubber can turn in the bushing. Try levering lightly with a pry bar and you should see the movement.
Cheers ModelFlyer - I did some prying after work today and the entire rubber section has detached from the outer metal collar...delaminated as you've rightly said

So I'll certainly replace them. Interestingly (or not as may be the case), Haynes refer to them as 'lateral links'.

I had another look at the other bushings, and the bushing for the upper arm bolt that connects to the hub carrier seems to have a lot more play than at the lower bolt end. It looks more like the sort of worn linkage that would give a metallic dry squeak, compared to my delaminated trailing arm front bush.

Last edited by Semnoz; Mar 24th, 2017 at 22:08.
Semnoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2017, 13:14   #26
Model flyer
Master Member

Hi ,interestingly I checked all the other rubber bushes on the rear suspension when mine was squeaking and some did look a bit tatty but are still working fine . I only had the front bushes changed and it made a instant cure for the squeak.

Old Mar 26th, 2017, 21:19   #27
Semnoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model flyer View Post
Hi ,interestingly I checked all the other rubber bushes on the rear suspension when mine was squeaking and some did look a bit tatty but are still working fine . I only had the front bushes changed and it made a instant cure for the squeak.
Seems the same with me. Just needed to replace the trailing arm front bushes and no more squeaking and less noise going over rough road.

So that I could tilt the trailing arm enough to get to the bush, I had to dismantle everything from the hub carrier (except the connection to the big lower control arm). This meant I could inspect all the other bushes, and they seemed OK.

Overall, not a particularly nice job on your own, with car on driveway !

The hardest part, unsurprisingly was using the bushing press. I purchased the one below:

Removal was easier as I didn't need to be under the car to turn the main screw.

As the press tool I bought didn't have an opening at the bottom, it wasn't possible to position it over the bush's inner plate (the t-shaped end). So I had to first break the old rubber section and push the plate through. Mine was so delaminated it just slid out ! This isn't a problem when fitting the new one (which you push in t-shaped end first) as the large 'pot' driver has slots that allow it to sit over the t-shaped part.

Refitting the new bushes was awkward as I was lying on the drive-way under the car and had to use a 80cm extension tube over the end of the ratchet (yes, the press needs some serious torque to push the old rusty bush collar out). I had to use a couple of trolley jacks to hold the trailing arm still while I forced down on the ratchet. It would be an easier job if the car was up on ramps, although I'm not sure how the trailing arm would be held in place, as being on the ground had it's advantages.

I thought I was doing OK until I removed the LHS bush (passenger side) and noticed the t-shaped plate was larger due to an extra pair of studs for the exhaust bracket. The new bushing I was sold didn't have this:

With no-where to buy a replacement on a Sunday, I had no choice but cut this extra section off the old bush and bolt it onto the new one. Problem solved

Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 10:13   #28
mark3697

Default Same problem

Hi just been reading your post with interest as I've got the same squeak on progressively getting worse from the n/s/r.
Just wondering everyone seems to mention the nearside but presumably the same bush is fitted to the offside? Is it best to replace both at once or is it just the nearside that fails??
Are they cheaper to buy from Ford if they're the same part? Don't really fancy putting on non genuine parts off ebay but don't see point of paying extra just for getting them from Volvo.
Anyone know the part number for a 2008 P3?

Thanks in advance
Mark
mark3697 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2019, 13:43   #29
mr tickle

I did both of mine recently as per everyone else they were squeaky and knackered which also answers your other question of if you should replace them both?

part numbers from the two bags :31476222 + 31476223

Got them from the Swansea Main Dealer with Volvoforum discount.
V70 D5 2009 - T5 convertible - V40 1.8 - 343GL - the one with the elastic band transmission!
mr tickle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mr tickle For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 25th, 2019, 10:20   #30
mark3697

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr tickle View Post
I did both of mine recently as per everyone else they were squeaky and knackered which also answers your other question of if you should replace them both?

part numbers from the two bags :31476222 + 31476223

Got them from the Swansea Main Dealer with Volvoforum discount.
Thanks very much for the reply very helpful
mark3697 is offline   Reply With Quote