Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Introduction and request for information (C70)

Views : 1103

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 17th, 2014, 08:26   #1
Darranna
VOC Member

Default Introduction and request for information (C70)

Hi All,

My name is Darren and the User ID is a mash up my and the wifes name Joanna. I always get asked so thought I'd get it out the way lol.

I currently own a 2006 MX-5 but having done a few european driving holidays I have concluded it just to small.

This is why I'm considering a 2006 on C70 Diesel Auto (luxury, Economy and effortless) first of all am i deranged?

Secondly is there anything specific I should be looking out for?

Service history I assume is a given as is evidence any required recalls have been carried out (have there been any?) but is there anything else I should be looking for, like corrosion or parts that commonly fail?

Is there a distinct advantage to buying a 2010 onward model?

Sorry for all the questions but I don't seem to be able to find the answers with the search facility.

Thanks in advance
Darren
Darranna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2014, 10:06   #2
600SRAD

If your looking at 2006+ the best of the bunch in my opinion and because I own one is the 2.4 D5 , good strong engine built by volvo
I test drove a few before buying mine and this won hands down .

Shop around and try and get one with full spec , sat nav,heated seats,xenons,uprated stereo all the toys you would need on a long trip ,not forgeting service history and as low mileage as possible

The fault I have had is a new air con rad ,they are at the front and are open to being punctured by stones
You do get a few creaks and slight rattles from the roof this is normaly fixed by lubricating with gummy pledge (oil) every 4 month
The PDF (engine service light) , only ever fill the oil two thirds and you will not have a problem.

I have owned various cars in the past inc 7 BMW's 3 Audis a jag , Lexus and by far the best I have had for comfort , reliability , and for all round suitability is the C70-excellent cruiser you could drive all day with the roof up but prefer it down

Good luck in your search
600SRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2014, 10:20   #3
Darranna
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600SRAD View Post
If your looking at 2006+ the best of the bunch in my opinion and because I own one is the 2.4 D5 , good strong engine built by volvo
I test drove a few before buying mine and this won hands down .

Shop around and try and get one with full spec , sat nav,heated seats,xenons,uprated stereo all the toys you would need on a long trip ,not forgeting service history and as low mileage as possible

The fault I have had is a new air con rad ,they are at the front and are open to being punctured by stones
You do get a few creaks and slight rattles from the roof this is normaly fixed by lubricating with gummy pledge (oil) every 4 month
The PDF (engine service light) , only ever fill the oil two thirds and you will not have a problem.

I have owned various cars in the past inc 7 BMW's 3 Audis a jag , Lexus and by far the best I have had for comfort , reliability , and for all round suitability is the C70-excellent cruiser you could drive all day with the roof up but prefer it down

Good luck in your search
Thank you for taking the time to reply.

The car I had my eye on is the D5 SE Lux but, is the Sat Nav really worth it? Isn't say a TomTom live a better option these days? I have always fitted my own Double Din Parrot Smart to my previous cars but I gather this is not possible in the Volvo, also it it possible to switch off the factory DRL's (which I think I'm right in saying are the headlights) and retro fit LED DRL's?

Thanks again
Old Jul 17th, 2014, 20:54   #4
600SRAD

You cant turn off the DRL's you can switch it to sidelights only so you don't have your headlamps on or alternatively they can be turned off if you know someone who has the vida / computer thing , I asked volvo and they will not do it but this may change depending on dealership

Tom tom is as good as built in , I just like the convenience of the pop up system.

As for fitting xenons , anythings possible
Old Jul 18th, 2014, 16:03   #5
Darranna
VOC Member

Thank you again for your reply!

Any idea when they started fitting A2DP (for music streaming) Bluetooth to the C70
Old Jul 18th, 2014, 20:24   #6
600SRAD

Mine is 2009 and I've not got it if that helps ? It has got mp3/iphone socket
Old Jul 18th, 2014, 20:50   #7
Darranna
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600SRAD View Post
Mine is 2009 and I've not got it if that helps ? It has got mp3/iphone socket
Thank you. Does anyone know where I can download a brochure for the various years?
Also was the aux input standard on some model C70's?
Old Jul 20th, 2014, 20:11   #8
dme123
Master Member

I've just bought a 2008 C70 D5 SE Lux Manual to save myself doing 20k miles a year in a 1995 MX5!

The 2006 cars had no Aux input at all as far as I can tell, then they had just a 3.5mm jack and then later USB from I believe the 2008MY onwards. If you have a Lux or the 6 CD changer though you seem to loose the USB port!

I was being fussy about spec but in the end realised there are so few of them up for sale at any one time I had to be a bit flexible. It's convenient to have the nav built in but frankly the RTI system isn't great. I had to go without, but if I could have it I would. Not a deal breaker.

The lux spec is worth having if only for the Dynaudio speaker system. You see the odd SE with it, which would have the advantage (from my point of view) of 17" wheels so better ride quality and cheaper tyres.

Sport is pretty poverty spec and the fabric on the seats is quite nasty IMHO. I saw a few SE and SE Lux models with "sovereign hide leather" which was really very nice indeed. At least two on autotrader at the moment with it, one 2008 plate D5 auto SE Lux - I spoke to the seller and she seemed really straight up. It's up for £9250.

I am not keen on the facelift 2011 onwards models and they seem to have a crapper high end audio setup. It's no longer dynaudio and from the spec sheet you seem to loose the subs. It also doesn't come as standard with the Lux spec, and nor does a power passenger seat. I think it IS worth getting a 2008MY on car with the revised centre console as at this point any issues with early models will have been resolved.

I looked at T5 models, but with an auto the road tax is just absurd for the performance on offer and manuals are very rare. The D5 is detuned to 350NM or torque from 400NM in the automatics too, and that AW autobox is a dim witted thing and really miles off the pace for a modern auto. It's the same box used in the 2000 onwards P2 V70/S60 and it's **** in them too. Manuals in high spec are like hens teeth though, as I found. If you DO get an auto you really should change the oil at around 60K or it will be dead at or around 120k based on the performance of the box in other Volvos.

There is the NASP 2.4i models, but they have the same economy as the T5 and are quite sedate things to drive. Lots around in good spec and much cheaper than T5 or D5 models so if you're no speed demon maybe worth looking at. The 2.0D is a slug, plain and simple. No way is 130bhp enough to lug this big 1700KG car around, it's over 11 seconds to 60.

Facelift D3 and D4 cars get a 2 litre 5 pot diesel rather than the 2 litre 4 banger mentioned above, and the auto is a powershift dual clutch 6 speed. Not tested them so have no opinion.

Very pleased with mine but some real nails out there, low mileage and high. Be fussy and test a few.
dme123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2014, 21:07   #9
Darranna
VOC Member

Thank you for taking the time to post that very thorough reply

I'm ideally looking for a D5 Se Lux but Auto as I do about 25k per year in a manual I really fancy something different at the weekend. My budget is anything between £7000 and £13000 for the right car.

I sold my MX-5 Today so now we just need to sell her Beetle Convertible and hunt will start in earnest. I do have the advantage of being able to buy trade so I can get a later car at earlier car money.
Old Jul 20th, 2014, 22:00   #10
dme123
Master Member

Give this lady a call in that case

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...s?logcode=visc

Spoke to her Friday and her father bought it as what sounds like a dealer demonstrator. No Bi-Xenon lights or RTI Sat Nav but you do get the lovely sovereign hide seats.

ETA - Also I have just been out for a hoon and discovered a few things. For a start it's obviously nowhere near as nimble as an MX5 on a tiny winding B road, in fact at times it was decidedly hairy. Secondly it makes a wicked noise when pressing on, loads of turbo whistle and 5 pot growl, absolutely hilarious and a far more entertaining noise than my 2003 V70 T5. Thirdly it takes longer for the roof to raise than it takes for the lights to change from red to green near my house and you look a right bell end sitting there at a green light while your roof does it's thing.....

Also it's really not that quick. It's OK, good on the motorway, but the two gearchanges to reach 60 really don't help. I'm keeping my MX5 so I'm fine with the dynamics of it, but really don't except it to be remotely "sporty".

Last edited by dme123; Jul 20th, 2014 at 22:10.
dme123 is offline   Reply With Quote