Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General > 850/x70 S1 Wants
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

T45 tensioner pulley removal

Views : 647

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 30th, 2015, 10:12   #1
Bigfella666
Premier Member

Default T45 tensioner pulley removal

Chaps

Cambelt removal project currently stalled as cannot remove the above bolt despite doing the logical thing wedging a torx fitting into the bolt head and trying to turn with a spanner - without tearing the head of the bolt of course !

I am therefore on a big want for advice or. Even better a dedicated tool for this task. Lord knows how I am going to get a torque wrench in there to tighten when I Get to replacement pulley stage ???!!!!!

Any help greatly appreciated - Pnut I was gonna ask you direct but I am under the impression you taking Christmas off !!
Bigfella666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2015, 10:53   #2
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

Hi I got stuck on this earlier this year. I went out and bought a 1/4" drive wrench and put the torx bit into a small socket. There is just enough room to get one in between the tensioner pulley and the bulkhead. BUT, even though I thought ,at 20 quid for the wrench I'd got one good enough......no! I found the 'head' was a bit wobbly and when trying to get a purchase on the bolt, the head went at an angle & I was scared of knackering the torx bolt head.
So I gave in and called my mobile-mec out.
He had a far, far better quality 1/4" drive wrench and had it out in a jiffy & left me to carry on.
Good luck.
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2015, 15:04   #3
PNuT
MaDMaN

I am about.... i am sure i will have tbe tools you need.... could pop round after work tomorrow if it suits?

Is getting dark to early for today i suspect!
Old Dec 30th, 2015, 16:13   #4
Bigfella666
Premier Member

Pnut
Let's make it a date 2morrow - yes it started raining approx an hour ago and given the forcast I called it a day - no point all ya gear and tools getting wet just makes more work !

One of the chaps I contact directly for advice explained to me today why I cannot get the timing belt off - the aux cam also has to come off - do you agree and if so it must be nesseccary to jam it in order to get the 10 and indeed the 30mm nuts off ?? Reason I ask is the 3 sites I have looked at for advice on cambelt removal make no mention of this yet logic dictates if you cannot get ya cambelt off how the hell you gonna get a new one on !

Tel num here 01284 811284, look forward to seeing you.

Paul
Old Dec 30th, 2015, 16:44   #5
PNuT
MaDMaN

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showpo...43&postcount=1

might be worth a look
Old Dec 30th, 2015, 23:38   #6
Bigfella666
Premier Member

P
I shall look at the link in a mo but do you have the tools required to remove the aux pulley mentioned in my previous thread as I certainly do not save 10 and 30mm sockets !
Old Dec 30th, 2015, 23:48   #7
Bigfella666
Premier Member

P
Many thanks, very useful. The reason I ask whether you have the aux pulley removal gear is having got to step 8 and spent 2 hours trying to do so I cannot get the cambelt out in 1piece. I can move the belt left to right no probs so it is not jammed however it will not budge. My logic is if you cannot get the belt out without cutting it how the hell are you gonna get the new belt on !?????

Have you mastered the art without cutting the belt ? Others tell me you cannot get the belt off or on without removing the aux pulley but obs the author of the link you sent me disagrees !
Old Dec 31st, 2015, 03:41   #8
PNuT
MaDMaN

I have a spare engine in my garage so I will have a look at that before I come round so I know exactly what i need
Old Dec 31st, 2015, 08:59   #9
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

You can defo' get the belt out without cutting. Can also get the new one on. Once you remove the little guard plate thingy. 2x10mm bolts IIRC. Have done it twice on mine. There is a knack of feeding it out through the very small gap.
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2016, 08:30   #10
Bigfella666
Premier Member

Paul
You are so right ! Thank the Lord I did not cut the belt as so many sites advise cos if you do you remain clueless as to how to get the new one on !!!! Which is precisely why I was so reluctant to give up and cut it ! I tried to get it on in the last 5 mins of light yday and no joy so back on it this morning Given it took me 2 hours to get the old belt off I am hopeful I have somehow got the knack of getting her on via the front right hand side of the aux pulley. Would not bet £5 on it though !

Probs with getting off the tensioner roller etc solved by a visit from the legendary PNut on New Years Eve - thanks again buddy your time greatly appreciated !!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigfella666 For This Useful Post: