Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Scary XC60 Polestar

Views : 4806

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 20th, 2022, 14:26   #1
heskuna

Default Scary XC60 Polestar

Does mine have a fault? When I floor it to overtake quickly it is like trying to control a stallion. I almost sideswiped a car when I first tried it. Instead of a nice smooth overtake it is a series of steering corrections. I don't think it is tracking as it is ok normally and there is no uneven wear on the tyres. I detect some tramlining occasionally and sometimes it feels as if the wheels are loose. I appreciate that sounds alarming but I put it down to being a bit sensitive to the issue. I have the suspension set to 10 so it is bit on the hard side. I have had the car a year and it has been the same throughout, even when I had new tyres on the front.

Has anyone else had a similar experience or do their cars behave themselves?
heskuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2022, 14:55   #2
Kingmunky

Sounds like you're describing torque-steer.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-te...s-torque-steer

I get the same in my XC90 PS, but you just get used to it after a while and I anticipate it happening now. Easiest way to control it is by being lighter on the throttle, feathering it up to full acceleration, rather than putting your foot to the floor.
Kingmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2022, 14:58   #3
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by heskuna View Post
Does mine have a fault? When I floor it to overtake quickly it is like trying to control a stallion. I almost sideswiped a car when I first tried it. Instead of a nice smooth overtake it is a series of steering corrections. I don't think it is tracking as it is ok normally and there is no uneven wear on the tyres. I detect some tramlining occasionally and sometimes it feels as if the wheels are loose. I appreciate that sounds alarming but I put it down to being a bit sensitive to the issue. I have the suspension set to 10 so it is bit on the hard side. I have had the car a year and it has been the same throughout, even when I had new tyres on the front.

Has anyone else had a similar experience or do their cars behave themselves?

Torque steer probably, could be all manner of things from cheap tyres to drifting due to previous accident damage, unless you can see there's no movement at the wheels when you rock the steering wheel a couple of inches either way it's not likely to be your rack,

Testing time,

Does she drift, bare in mind a heavy car will always run to the camber of the road so it won't stay straight on it's own if the camber is pronounced,

Rock the steering wheel do the wheels react or not, does the steering suddenly bite when you get to say 11pm or 1am

Are the tyres a good brand or a budget brand with no name as such, i.e Cruiser 4000Z's etc

Check wheel nuts,

Check tracking, if you have suspected tram-lining or saw-toothing the cars tracking or geometry is out,

After that it's check suspension time, look for bad bushes, torn gaiter/boots on joints, roll bar bushes especially and both back and front,

If none of the above apply I'd suspect a weak spring or shocker or both.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2022, 17:34   #4
heskuna

Thanks for the prompt replies. Since buying the car last June I haven't seen another one so expected a wait! The car is not yet 2 years old so would be surprised if age is a problem. It has only done 23k miles. The tyres are Pirelli PZero's, the same as the factory fit versions.

I thought torque steer tended to pull one way but, as you say, camber may play a part. I had an MB E55 with similar performance and I always felt in control. Admittedly that was rear wheel drive. In this car it feels dangerous unless you take great care. It feels as if Volvo wouldn't be careless so something is not right. I assume they test their polestar versions. When I can find a tyre place that can track 22in wheels I'll get it checked out, just in case.

Kingmunky - every time it happens I vow not to do it again but....
heskuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2022, 20:46   #5
Cull06
Master Member

It’s torque steer mate. Most torque steer I have ever experienced in a car. And yes I agree it can be pretty wild. You’re not the first to mention it so it shouldn’t be anything to worry about.

Just hold on tight! 😈
Old Jul 20th, 2022, 23:02   #6
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Thanks for the prompt replies. Since buying the car last June I haven't seen another one so expected a wait! The car is not yet 2 years old so would be surprised if age is a problem. It has only done 23k miles. The tyres are Pirelli PZero's, the same as the factory fit versions.

I thought torque steer tended to pull one way but, as you say, camber may play a part. I had an MB E55 with similar performance and I always felt in control. Admittedly that was rear wheel drive. In this car it feels dangerous unless you take great care. It feels as if Volvo wouldn't be careless so something is not right. I assume they test their polestar versions. When I can find a tyre place that can track 22in wheels I'll get it checked out, just in case.

Sorry I assumed it was an older one, the trick with big heavy Volvo's is to feather the power in because they have a bit of a turbo lag that once overcome you get the whole power band in one go which can take you by surprise, you'll adjust to it once you know how to feel for it.
Old Jul 21st, 2022, 06:05   #7
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:

I must add, and I appreciate this is personal to me perhaps (let’s see the comments that follow) that Pirelli tyres are far and away the least grippy I have used.

I have purchased cars with Pirelli in them, and I use them through their life and get Goodyear efficient grip (excellent), Dunlop SP sort, Avon, or now (2nd set) michelin cross climates.

I have also bought cars with budget tyres on them which are better than Pirelli.

Once up for renewal I would suggest looking elsewhere other than Pirelli which in my experience are overpriced poor performing tyres…
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 21st, 2022, 11:01   #8
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
I must add, and I appreciate this is personal to me perhaps (let’s see the comments that follow) that Pirelli tyres are far and away the least grippy I have used.

I have purchased cars with Pirelli in them, and I use them through their life and get Goodyear efficient grip (excellent), Dunlop SP sort, Avon, or now (2nd set) michelin cross climates.

I have also bought cars with budget tyres on them which are better than Pirelli.

Once up for renewal I would suggest looking elsewhere other than Pirelli which in my experience are overpriced poor performing tyres…

The Skoda boys hated them, Skoda at the time used to fit P7's as standard and the general opinion was they were too noisy which in turn translates to too hard so naturally less grippy,

imo you can't beat a Michelin and the best mid range imo is a Hankook.
The Following User Says Thank You to SnineT For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 21st, 2022, 12:08   #9
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnineT View Post
The Skoda boys hated them, Skoda at the time used to fit P7's as standard and the general opinion was they were too noisy which in turn translates to too hard so naturally less grippy,

imo you can't beat a Michelin and the best mid range imo is a Hankook.
Totally agree! My Michelins last considerable distances and have great grip. I did purchase Hankook not too long ago (within 5-8 years) and they were an excellent choice.

I generally hear poor things about Pirelli. My personal understanding (I am not claiming this as fact - and could be wrong) is that Pirelli heavily discount to OEM to get selected then are really expensive for the public?
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 21st, 2022, 12:33   #10
Cull06
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
Totally agree! My Michelins last considerable distances and have great grip. I did purchase Hankook not too long ago (within 5-8 years) and they were an excellent choice.

I generally hear poor things about Pirelli. My personal understanding (I am not claiming this as fact - and could be wrong) is that Pirelli heavily discount to OEM to get selected then are really expensive for the public?
They are fine. I had the oem pirelli for the same price as the likes of the other upper-mids like Goodyear etc.

Michies were dearer but honestly the Pirelli’s have been fine over the last two years.

The amount of torque steer on this thing I have no doubt that the tyre choice has limited relevance.

I suspect it’s to do with the imbalance between the ice/supercharger/turbo putting 330bhp through the front whilst the electric is trying to put 80 through the rear (numbers all approx) and the car struggles to do that without the frankly huge torque steer.

Embrace it and enjoy it 👍