Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Disabling warning chimes????.

Views : 6476

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 21st, 2013, 16:37   #1
mikepday

Default Disabling warning chimes????.

Any ideas anyone?

I have recently moved to the Middle East, and am in the process of acquiring an XC90 (second hand). I went for a spin in a friends car to see if I wanted the 6 cyl or the 5.
As we cruised around we got a high speed chime every time we exceeded 120 KPH, which I believe to be a country specific installed option ( via Vehicle Country Code?!?) my current Jeep Cherokee runaround also has a similar thing which drives me insane on the highways ( speed limited to 140 KPH before I get a sermon from anyone about speeding) which I know can be deprogrammed by the Jeep dealer.
Not a problem in his XC90 I thought, I'll get my Dice and program it out for him, and subsequently my own future purchase shortly.

Well after a long while searching around I can't find how it's done.
I Have found the list of customer programmable options on which it does not appear and also a "high speed warning chime" CSC test function you can add to the selected CSC list when testing for DTCs...... But No disable function!

Am I missing something, have Volvo hard wired this into the CEM/CCM for the car?

Could anyone tell me where ( in words of one syllable) to find the relevant function? ( and also if possible the seatbelt chime too! Although I could never find that one on my old V70 either!)

Hoping you can help a frustrated member!

Mike.

Ex V70,XC90, XC70
mikepday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2013, 20:07   #2
Shadeyman
VOC Member

Not sure about the speed warning but the "Handbrake" and "Seat belt" warnings can be turned on and off using VIDA/DICE ..

Shadeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2013, 04:43   #3
dalerobertson
Dale

Hi Mike

I spent a couple of hours yesterday with the DICE plugged into my 2004, XC90 T6 and couldn't find how to disable the speed warning. Came on here to check and was delighted to read your post since we have exactly the same requirement. If I get any news I'll be in touch. Meanwhile, somebody help. Please......
dalerobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2013, 08:31   #4
Shadeyman
VOC Member

The other audible warnings can be activated or deactivated by accessing the "Driver Information Module" (DIM). If there is a way to disable the speed warning my guess is you'll find it in the DIM.

Old Sep 23rd, 2013, 06:17   #5
mikepday

Shadeyman,

Thanks very much for that, at least it proves I wasn't going mad looking for something that didn't exist.
However I still can't find the specific page.
I have searched for all items regarding 381 reprogramming DIM, but nothing came up.

Firstly must the car be connected to the DICE for it to offer the icons and prompts for reprogramming? Or can I find it with just DICE connected to laptop indoors and no car connection?

Second of all could you show the search tree from VIDA you followed to reach that page ( it currently shows Information>Parts on your screen shot which I think is a red herring)

Sorry to be a pain, but I have been away from VIDA for nearly a year and I never found it the most intuitive interface anyway, (VADIS was more my level! )

Ex V70,XC90, XC70
mikepday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2013, 19:41   #6
Shadeyman
VOC Member

Module access is via the the DIAGNOSTICS tab and it can't be accessed unless a VEHICLE PROFILE is entered, doesn't have to be connected to a car ... Once the profile of the vehicle is entered the relevant MODULES for that vehicle are accessable and a list of relevant reprograming options are visable in the VEHICLE COMMUNICATION tab.

Its best you use your own vehicles profile that VIDA automatically saves, just select the relevant transmission, steering and body style then press OK.

Once you have done this the DIAGNOSATICS tab will become selectable, click on it then click on the VEHICLE COMMUNICATION tab, the diagram of your vehicles modules should appear on the upper left of the screen.

Last edited by Shadeyman; Sep 23rd, 2013 at 19:45.
Old Jul 11th, 2016, 08:55   #7
NorthantsPete

Aside from the DICE magic and trickery - the chime will run a small speaker to create the chime. It wont be sensing the chime signal just any signal involving monitoring a belt.

So, the module may send a signal to the speaker, however if its not present it cant chime.

Cut it off, terminate the ends, job done.

ECU does its job of detecting a nons taisfy return from the belt, sending the current to a speaker/chimer to create a warning sound, its done its job. It doesnt detect if the speakers not there just as much as your raido doesnt - it'll just be quiet.

My passengers hate it when i go in the house or have to do a three point turn out of the drive with my belt off "TURNT HAT BLOODY NOISE OFF!" is all I get

this isnt about driving around full tine without a belt on this is maneuvering, offroad, etc. - I have to reverse onto a busy road (still not 'A' road but very busy still, its near a school) and then drive off then put belt on before traffic builds up.
I was also drivng around a field at a car boot, again belt not needed at 5mph, and it was a pain when maneuvering.
NorthantsPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2016, 10:27   #8
AB-UK
Premier Member

I don't find my seatbelt at all restrictive when maneuvering either forwards or in reverse.
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2016, 16:28   #9
aslan
From far away

Interesting thread. Made me power on my VIDA. I too cannot locate any way to enable or disable the speed warning even using the search option. On my Vehicle Configuration tab, my speed warning status is NO.

From reading what's written, I guess this function is specific to the market and stated kept in the Volvo Central Database. And it appears if even downloading a new software for a new CEM, the software stored in the database is specific to the car. Not sure if the dealer can find a way to work around this or get a new (different) software downloaded.
B230E 740 1989 - sold
aslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2016, 18:54   #10
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
Interesting thread. Made me power on my VIDA. I too cannot locate any way to enable or disable the speed warning even using the search option. On my Vehicle Configuration tab, my speed warning status is NO.

From reading what's written, I guess this function is specific to the market and stated kept in the Volvo Central Database. And it appears if even downloading a new software for a new CEM, the software stored in the database is specific to the car. Not sure if the dealer can find a way to work around this or get a new (different) software downloaded.

If the overspeed chimer is the same chimer as used for seatbelts and critical wrnings, then disconnecting the chimer is not the best solution

It may well be that it is a fixed country config for the target country for that vehicle.
There my be no easy way to change this....
...or you could try changing the target market for the car from your country to a generic Euro config.
How this is done on a Volvo I do not know....
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote