Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

First ever automatic box

Views : 2678

Replies : 49

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 12th, 2018, 14:44   #1
canis
Non Fragile

Default First ever automatic box

I've just got an automatic, and I love it. I love being able to drive left-handed, I love having two hands on the wheel and the whole driving experience is much less intense, less hassle, and just generally overall better.

But I'm new to autos. I've driven the occaisonal automatic, when borrowing one or whatever. But this is the first time I've had any real long-term experience with one. So I have some n00b questions, which I realise will make me look foolish, but if you don't ask you don't get answers, so here goes. I'll just grit my teeth.

Hill starts. What exactly is the correct procedure?

Is it okay to leave it in drive on the handbrake?

Is it a good idea to select into neutral at traffic lights?

Is there an elegant way of changing up during a kick-down burst of accelleration? Currently it'll refuse to change up again unless I ease off. Which I don't really want to do, I want to continue accelerating, but I do want to change up a gear as red-lining isn't really my thing.

Can anyone give me some tips and advice please?
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 15:16   #2
DSK
C70 T5

Hill Starts - I just hold the brake, when ready to go, use the accelerator. The car/torque converter will prevent roll back.

I never leave it in drive with a handbrake.

A long standstillss such as traffic lights, they say you can leave it drive and the torque converter handles it. However, for every automatic I have had, I always pop it into neutral whilst waiting.

As you get used to your gearbox, you will get used to how it behaves to various throttle inputs and be able to force it to upshift but, usually this does mean a slight ease off on throttle position.

Top Tip - always get the gearbox oil changed every 40-50,000 miles using the absolute correct spec!!!!!!

2000 C70 T5 GT Coupe
1998 S70R / 1995 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo
2007 Mercedes CLS 320 CDI / 2011 Mercedes S350 Bluetec
2007 Suzuki GSXR-1000
DSK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DSK For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 15:17   #3
dhr90

1) What car did you get? For me when I do a hill start the car holds itself on the hill with the brakes momentarily, then just use the throttle to pull away.

2) I wouldn't do that at all. Some cars won't allow you to do that.

3) I don't, bound to be a time you forget, when on a hill and then roll back or forward into another vehicle. Depending on set up of your gearback selection modes, you may have to go past reverse to get to neutral, which will scare the driver behind as well when they see the reverse lights come on.

4) If you have the ability to use shift paddles on the steering wheel, or your gear "stick" has the +/- S mode then you can just pull/push on the lever as required to change gear earlier.

This is all I have discovered on my V60 since I got it 6 months ago. It was my first automatic, I have since asked for auto's on hire cars ever since as it is a much easier drive, especially in heavy traffic.
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 15:37   #4
Sysyphus

I went auto after moving across the pond twenty-odd years ago... I did test drive a “stick” over here, but it felt so weird sitting on the wrong side of the gear-shift, using the wrong hand, that I just gave up. Never looked back... nearly all my driving is trundling along in traffic or cruising on motorways anyway, so I have learned to live with the once or twice a month I find myself going up a hill wishing I was in second right now.

For uphill starts, on all but the steepest of hills, the auto will prevent you rolling back. On a very steep hill I will hold the brake with my left foot, gently releasing it as I get on the gas with my right.

For all but the longest of redlights I, and apparently almost everyone over here, stay in drive and hold the car with the foot brake. For a light I know will be long I will shift into park and apply handbrake. I never use neutral for anything.

As for the kick-down & change-up, that just comes with practice as you get to know your car and gearbox.
Sysyphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 16:02   #5
canis
Non Fragile

Oh, sorry. I should've mentioned the model.

It's a V40, the old type, Phase 1.5, 2000cc DOHC 16v Turbo intercooler.

In that regard, it's a traditional automatic with no electric hand-brakes or other mod-cons.
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 16:06   #6
canis
Non Fragile

Several people on here have mentioned about being dazzled by brake lights by the car in front. Although it doesn't bother me particularly, I don't want to be a nuisance to the driver behind.
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 16:22   #7
DeeJay
VOC Member

For me:

Hill starts, hold on the hand brake and bring up the revs until you feel it wants to move, release h/b as you accelerate away

Parking - always, but always, select park and apply handbrake.

Red lights or similar, into neutral and h/b on as I detest people who sit with their foot on the brake with their brake lights blinding me. That's not only courtesy but also good road craft.

Kick down is great, plant the pedal and hang on!
DeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeeJay For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 17:38   #8
Sysyphus

I think the main reason for different behavior at red lights this side of the Atlantic is that we do not have a red&amber phase... the lights go straight from red to green, and if you’re not moving within a tenth of a second of the light changing the driver behind you will be on the horn.
Sysyphus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sysyphus For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 18:28   #9
DSK
C70 T5

Quote:
Originally Posted by canis View Post
Several people on here have mentioned about being dazzled by brake lights by the car in front. Although it doesn't bother me particularly, I don't want to be a nuisance to the driver behind.
The latest modern cars have LED bulbs (and lenses to cater for them) so they are naturally brighter.

As long as you have not got your fog light on - don't worry about whats behind you.

2000 C70 T5 GT Coupe
1998 S70R / 1995 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo
2007 Mercedes CLS 320 CDI / 2011 Mercedes S350 Bluetec
2007 Suzuki GSXR-1000
DSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 19:44   #10
Dippydog
Premier Member

I drive my auto[my Omega]double footed so for hill starts it's left foot on brake and right foot for accelerator.At traffic lights if I know them and their approximate change frequency I leave it in drive and use foot brake to hold it[unless it's dark]if I'm unfamiliar with the lights or it's dark I nudge the selector forward into neutral and put handbrake on.With kickdown mine will change up well before red line is reached[to make sure it doesn't-if I'm so inclined-I just press S button on top of selector to hold each gear longer]I do love a RWD auto with some grunt behind it!
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote