Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

HELP! No dash display, electric seats etc.....

Views : 1306

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 2nd, 2016, 14:09   #1
Tom B

Angry HELP! No dash display, electric seats etc.....

Hello All,

Last week I jumped in the car - 2003 XC90 SE LUX and realised as I turned the key that there was no dash display, electric seats etc.
So I checked the fuses and Fuse 21 10amp - Extended Distribution I had blown. Changed this and all was good, or so I thought.

Well............. I got a frantic phone call off the wife this morning, no dash display, she cant move the seat. Its in my position. I'm 6'0 she's 5'0! So she cant reach the pedals to drive! We've ended up having to get the AA out to recover it.

Can anyone shed any light on this please! All help appreciated!!
Tom B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2016, 17:12   #2
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom B View Post
Last week I jumped in the car - 2003 XC90 SE LUX and realised as I turned the key that there was no dash display, electric seats etc.
So I checked the fuses and Fuse 21 10amp - Extended Distribution I had blown. Changed this and all was good, or so I thought.

Well............. I got a frantic phone call off the wife this morning, no dash display, she cant move the seat. Its in my position. I'm 6'0 she's 5'0! So she cant reach the pedals to drive! We've ended up having to get the AA out to recover it.

Can anyone shed any light on this please! All help appreciated!!
Let's analyse the Drivers Power Seat
The seat is powered by fuse 11C/3 (25A)
11C = Fuses in passenger compartment fuse box
This is a permanent power feed.
This fuse is labelled as '3. Power driver’s seat 25 A'

The wire runs from the fuse 3 to connector 54/25 then direct to the seat control unit (in the drivers seat)

Unplugging fuse 3 will stop power to the drivers power seat only
Likewise, fuse 4 will cut power to the passenger seat
I would carefully inspect the cabling under the drivers seat, look for chaffing and any sign of damage caused by movement (when the seat moves back and forth)

Fuse 11C/3 is fed by connector 54/40C, pin 1
Connector 54/40C is fed by fuse 6 (50A) on fuseblock 11E
Fuseblock 11E is mounted directly beside the battery in the boot
Fuse 6 on the battery fuseblock also powers F1 (Climate control fan), F3 (power drivers seat), F5 (left front door control module) & F6 (right front door control module)

So check if the fan blows, if it does, F6 is OK.

Now lets analyse the EXT. D fuse (extended distribution)
This fuse is F5 on the CEM

Looking at the wiring diagram, F5 powers:
  • Multimedia display, XC90
  • Control module, CD player (MP2), XC90
  • Control module, MD player (MP1), XC90 (likely not fitted)
  • Accessory wiring, infotainment EXT.D, XC90 (which runs under the drivers seat)

and primarily powers the audio system, including the nav computer and optional rear seat entertainment, including their displays.

AH HAH!
The nav drive is under the left-hand front seat
The audio amp is under the right-hand front seat
An infotainment display is built into the drivers seat.
Now we have some fault commonality, all focussed on power feeds running to the drivers seat area.
The problem went away and came back, which is a typical symptom of wiring chaffing.

My suspicion of wiring damage under the drivers seat has increased.

So get your torch, and your vacuum cleaner. Clean out the muck and dust and dirt under the drivers seat and inspect everything very carefully.
Look for water damage (sunroof leak) which may have affected the audio amplifier.
Look carefully for physical wiring damage through movement of the driver's seat, or through people in the back seat kicking the cables.

Focus on the power wires.

The power wires are coloured
Power for drivers seat:
Red to connector 54/25, then Blue with Red stripe to the power seat control in the actual seat

Power from EXT.D fuse F5
Violet from the CEM to junction 53/454, then
Violet to the Audio amplifier (under drivers seat)
Violet to connector 54X/112, then Violet to the DPY (nav display)
Violet to connector 54/112, then Violet to the ACC (Accessory, could be anything)
Violet to the OPN = Option (factory-installed)
Violet to the ICM (Infotainment Control Module (ICM), XC90)
Violet to the MMM (Navigation: Multimedia module (MMM), XC90)
Violet to the MP1 (MD player (MP1), XC90) / MP2 (CD player (MP2), XC90)

Let me know what you find
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 2nd, 2016, 19:17   #3
Tom B

That's awesome SwissXC90! Thank you!
I'm taking Friday off work so I'll be having a look then.
I'll take the drivers seat out and have a proper look at all the wiring. I take it this is fairly straightforward. Disconnect the battery for a start and then away I go?
Old Mar 2nd, 2016, 21:39   #4
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
That's awesome SwissXC90! Thank you!
I'm taking Friday off work so I'll be having a look then.
I'll take the drivers seat out and have a proper look at all the wiring. I take it this is fairly straightforward. Disconnect the battery for a start and then away I go?
Yes, straightforward but be aware of the following:

1. The seat contains airbags (my MY2009 does), so after disconnecting battery, wait 15min for residual power to discharge before disconnecting any connectors on airbag systems

2. The seat is heavy, Volvo recommend using 2 persons to remove the seat. You must take great care not to damage any upholstery with sharp seat mounting brackets

Tip: take photos before you disconnect anything so you can be sure of what goes where

Good luck!
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 7th, 2016, 13:04   #5
Tom B

Cool All Fixed

I must thank you again SwissXC90, your advice was spot on!

I disconnected the battery, let the snow disappear (typical British weather when you need to get something done!) had a brew while waiting for any residual power to discharge from the airbags etc, then made a start taking out the seat.

This was nice and straightforward, 3 connections to the underside front of the seat, the plastic surrounds and then the 4 bolts for the runners.

Lifted the seat out - (on my own) you were right, its heavy!

Stripped the tape from the wires and inspected the insulation.

Eureka!!

Found 2 wires that the insulation had been rubbed through - pdf 1 (wont let me upload the photos - think the file is too big!)

So, stripped them back, spliced them, soldered them and put a decent amount of heat shrink over them too - pdf 2.

After that, I wound a decent amount of insulation tape around the loom. Not too much as to restrict the movement of the wires but enough to stop this happening again! - pdf 3.

I have also used a small cable tie under the seat to stop the loom from dragging on anything when the seat is moved.

With any luck, this will have sorted the issue!

Thanks again!
Tom.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1.pdf (139.0 KB, 44 views)
File Type: pdf 2.pdf (215.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: pdf 3.pdf (232.5 KB, 20 views)
Old Mar 7th, 2016, 13:46   #6
Acer
Master Member

Quote:

I disconnected the battery, let the snow disappear (typical British weather when you need to get something done!) had a brew while waiting for any residual power to discharge from the airbags etc, then made a start taking out the seat.

This was nice and straightforward, 3 connections to the underside front of the seat, the plastic surrounds and then the 4 bolts for the runners.

Eureka!!

Found 2 wires that the insulation had been rubbed through - pdf 1 (wont let me upload the photos - think the file is too big!)

So, stripped them back, spliced them, soldered them and put a decent amount of heat shrink over them too - pdf 2.

After that, I wound a decent amount of insulation tape around the loom. Not too much as to restrict the movement of the wires but enough to stop this happening again! - pdf 3.

I have also used a small cable tie under the seat to stop the loom from dragging on anything when the seat is moved.

Thanks again!
Tom.
The wires just look dirty in that pic not worn. Which ones had taken a beating? What would cause insulation to wear on these wires? Are they in a position where physical movement of the seat can cause problems?

Anyway nice work and well done to SwissXC90 for his astute diagnosis.
Acer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2016, 14:13   #7
Tom B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acer View Post
The wires just look dirty in that pic not worn. Which ones had taken a beating? What would cause insulation to wear on these wires? Are they in a position where physical movement of the seat can cause problems?

Anyway nice work and well done to SwissXC90 for his astute diagnosis.
Hi Acer,
If you zoom in to the area at the end of my thumb you can see where the insulation has rubbed through on the blue wire and the violet wire. Hard to see but you can just make out the copper strands.

The loom is under the seat and so every time it was moved there was the potential for the wires to rub on the heat sink for the amp of the frame of the seat. I think this is what has happened in this case, especially as the wife is 5'0 and I'm 6'0 so the seat is moved from one end of the runner to the other each time either of us drove it!

Thanks! Was an easy fix in the end thanks to SwissXC90!
Old Mar 7th, 2016, 19:17   #8
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Talking Well Done Tom B

I am so glad you found the problem. And of course pleased I was right

The chaffing in your photo 1.pdf was exactly what I expected you to find - not easy to spot, as it only takes a little tiny bit of copper to shine through and then to short to chassis. But when you know where to focus your attention, it can save a huge amount of time.

It is worth pointing out to all readers that a good description of the problem really helped here. The fact that the drivers seat was being moved on almost a daily basis was a big red flag.

I've worked in automotive electrics and electronics for around 20 years and in that time you learn that anything that can move, will break.

And I love reading electrical diagrams, to me they are story books.

Well done Tom B, have a celebratory drink! Make sure you tell your wife you figured it our all by yourself

Greetings from SwitzerCrossCountryLand

PS: At the stage when I wrote my email, I had only owned an XC90 for the total period of 2 (two) days !
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
Old May 12th, 2017, 10:41   #9
mataei

Hi Guys..

This is a great Post.
I have the same problem on my car.

Speedometer display,Clima Control and powerseat suddenly went completly black.

But i have one queston. I have a Norwegen car with the steering wheel on the left side.

On your picture i see the wireing over det amp. is that is on the left side in your car?

My amp is under the passenger seat.

Should i take out my left or right seat ?

Sorry for my pour english.

Quote:

Eureka!!

Thanks again!
Tom.
mataei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2017, 16:14   #10
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mataei View Post
Speedometer display,Clima Control and powerseat suddenly went completly black.

But i have one queston. I have a Norwegen car with the steering wheel on the left side.
Should i take out my left or right seat ?
The amplifier is under the right hand seat on all cars (LHD and RHD)

But the wire can chaff on either the driver or passenger seat

Check both seats for any power wire chaffing under the seat.

Try moving the loom under the seat to clear if from any metal edges it may be running across and then fit a new fuse, raise the seat to max height and then inspect the loom carefully for chaffing