Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How to choose between models, totally lost!

Views : 536

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 20th, 2018, 18:37   #1
Newtothis12

Default How to choose between models, totally lost!

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help or point me in the right direction! At last our old banger has died and we are going to get a proper car! With twins and more on the way we have decided on the Volvo XC90, probably a 2011/2012 for our budget. But.... there seems to be lots of different versions, i.e. The Lux, executive, r-design, active etc etc. Where can I find a simple place that just states the differences? The r design and executive seem the most expensive and most luxurious but is there any difference how they look on the outside? Any help / pointers very much appreciated. And someone asked which shape we were going for, what does that even mean?! Thanks in advance!
Newtothis12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2018, 20:11   #2
RexGotta

I got a lot of information about spec from Parkers (https://www.parkers.co.uk/volvo/xc90/estate-2002/specs/). Wikipedia lists the facelifts (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_...d_2012_updates). I ended up going for an S which was the most basic just because it was in my budget and was the best example I'd gone to see and I simply couldn't wait any longer for the right model to turn up. Good luck finding the right one.
RexGotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2018, 20:27   #3
Moose Test
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtothis12 View Post
Hi, I'm hoping someone can help or point me in the right direction!
Yes, Google. Try "Price List" or "Sales Brochure".

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/leasing...mys-pricelists

Within the same age bracket they all look broadly similar externally, with the exception of the R-Design, which has different wheels, some extra chrome work on the doors and has a dual exhaust (with yet more chrome), in that model year. Autotrader / Ebay are your friends when it comes to pictures.

I have a 'Sport', which is the predecessor of the R-Design variant. I recommend it, if you don't mind giving up some Executive luxuries (e.g. massage seats and possibly the Premium Audio). R-Design models uniquely have a stiffer suspension setup, which I prefer over that of my previous XC90. It has only a slightly harsher ride quality but handling is noticeably improved on the twisty country lanes where it is a joy to drive for such a large, top heavy vehicle.

Last edited by Moose Test; Jan 20th, 2018 at 20:29.
Moose Test is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2018, 13:15   #4
Newtothis12

Thank you so much! I will check out the suggestions. Do you know if there a difference in fuel economy between the models Please? Thanks very much again.
Newtothis12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2018, 13:40   #5
Moose Test
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtothis12 View Post
Do you know if there a difference in fuel economy between the models Please? Thanks very much again.
Again, the sales blurb online will provide the official figures. But in short, yes, there can be vast differences, as you might expect given a range of powertrains.

The best economy is probably that of the D5 185/200PS models with their 6 speed boxes as overdrive makes a big difference over the 5-speed 163PS once past 55-60mph. Around town and in traffic though, it is my feeling the the 163 does slightly better but only just. You'll probably be around 10mpg better off under any circumstances with a manual as opposed to the auto.

The 3.2 and V8 petrols get around 24mpg at best, and never better than around 17mpg in town.
Moose Test is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2018, 18:41   #6
Rooster
Speed freak

I wouldn't touch a manual xc90 as i think its just the wrong type of car for a manual box,

The 200ps engines are far better than the 185 engines, i think the 2011/2012 cars have the 200ps engine,

I just nearly traded my 04 plate xc90 for a 60 plate D5 R-design one but decided it was to much money to just sit on my drive,
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2018, 19:06   #7
4x4
Premier Member

2009 specification here Click
Volvo 850 GLT website
4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote