Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 looking for words of wisdom on service intervals

Views : 652

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 22nd, 2018, 15:04   #1
Percival12

Default V70 looking for words of wisdom on service intervals

Hi

We are the second owner of a V70 SE 2.0D estate, May 2008. We bought the car with a full set of service stamps, and have continued annual servicing, but we don't have a full record of what was done at each service, including those done at our (non Volvo) garage in the last 3 years.

The service intervals and requirements should not be a mystery, but Volvo don't seem to supply a reference guide anywhere. The "Volvo Service Handbook", p11, gives outline intervals, and somewhere it indicates that the main interval (possibly) for our model (maybe - there are so many variants it's hard to tell) is 18000 miles, but no actual information about what the service should comprise. I managed to ascertain from a Volvo garage today that our "main" annual service interval is indeed 18,000 miles. And that the Cam Belt (which I asked about) should have been done at 144,000 miles - although the information I had from the previous owner indicated that the belts should be done at 90,000 miles (I believe they were done at 99,000 miles and the car was always serviced on contract to a Volvo main dealer ... ) or 5 years ... OK, that should mean they have to be done again this year (2018) on the 10-year principle, although nothing like another 90k miles has elapsed ...

The best guide I can find is in the Haynes Manual, a non-Volvo publication. And otherwise a sheet available on the Volvo Owners Club website, which actually lists things that need to be done ... but says the Timer Belts need to be done at 8 years, not 5 ...

Aargh! Can anyone point at where we might find the most reliable guide for what is actually needed and when for our model?

The garage which kindly assisted me on the phone said, our garage can just phone up and "find out" what needs to be done. I have no doubt whatever that this is what they have done in the past, but why is there no reliable outline guide for Owners? The Saab manual we had was sterling on things like this. (OTOH, we note that Saab no longer exists in that form, and that Volvo continue to thrive, or at least operate, so they must know something we don't ... )

One thing lurking in my mind is the advice that Volvo won't accept parts or engine warranty unless the services are done exactly as specified at the specified intervals - if something like the belts is done early, that is just as likely to invalid any (remaining) warranty as having it done late. Does anyone have a view on this?

Thanks for any advice.
Percival12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Percival12 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 22nd, 2018, 16:09   #2
Brendan W
Premier Member

This is the check sheet that a dealer would have used on a 2002MY car.
https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/tech/se...-S60V70S80.pdf
I imagine that there is another part number for yours somewhere online or from a main dealer.
Haynes are cautious about timing belts and other things and it's quite common to see them recommend intervals that are typically half the manufacturer intervals. Personally I don't believe that is warranted on these cars using oem parts at the proper intervals.
Our car is 8yr/96000mile timing belt and 12mo/12000 mile oil change.
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2018, 19:33   #3
Percival12

Thanks for the input Brendan. That is the sheet I got from the Volvo Owners Club website, and in theory it should cover ours, but I am not knowledgeable enough to know how reliable it is for a 2008 model (this actually dates from 2002, so some things may have changed). I suspect someone managed to get hold of that and posted it - my conversations with garages so far don't seem to show any enthusiasm for making a similar list available to us :-) The actual URL of this one seems to be pretty general S60/V70/S80. It's worth knowing that Haynes are quite conservative ...

Yes looking now I can see on the sheet, that the Timing Belt first appears at 8 years and not at 5 years. The former owner would have got it done at 5 years because it was already a bit over the mileage by then, I guess.

When Service Time comes I will ask our garage if he can extract a copy of something like this from the system - I won't count on anything, though.
Old Jan 22nd, 2018, 21:22   #4
Brendan W
Premier Member

You might have more luck in the section for post 07 cars.
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2018, 18:12   #5
Percival12

Thank you Brendan. I hasn't spotted that I wasn't in the best section ...

PS I guess that it might be this one S80 '06> / V70 '07> / XC70 '07> General

If it isn't, I confess myself perplexed.

Last edited by Percival12; Jan 31st, 2018 at 18:18.

Tags
other belts, service intervals, timing belt