Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

DPF problems? hmmmm......

Views : 6649

Replies : 35

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 20th, 2010, 11:43   #11
Bill_56
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
I have also looked into the DPF regeneration issues and it appears that the regeneration only happens when the filter is not cleared by normal driving, that is the car will inject additional fuel if the DPF is indicating that it needs cleaning. If it is getting hot enough to burn off the soot and contaminants the additional fuel is not injected to clean the DPF.
I can't agree. Mine seems to work exactly as documented in the owner's manual (repeated below). Further, mine gets a 50 mile thrash at least six times a week, and an oil analysis carried out less than 4k miles after oil changed showed it to already be out of grade.

The particles in the exhaust gasses are collected in the filter during normal driving. So called "regeneration" is started in order to burn away the particles and empty the filter. This requires the engine to have reached normal operating temperature.

Regeneration of the filter takes place automatically at an interval 300-900km depending on driving conditions. Regeneration normally takes between 10 and 20 minutes. During this time fuel consumption may increase

Last edited by Bill_56; Jul 20th, 2010 at 11:47. Reason: mistake, six times a week not twice
Bill_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 16:58   #12
rublehousen

it seems to me that this dpf is a silly design. obviously its easier and cheaper to programme the ecu to inject diesel post ignition rather than fit a additional fuel injector to inject diesel into the exhaust manifold/ just before the dpf. i suppose its going to bite em in the bum if all this diesel diluting the oil and washing the bores will lead to premature engine wear/engines feeding themselves untill they die. diesel is excellent as a cleaning product, the motor will be spotless inside when the mechanic rebuild them! i predict they wont be many of these dpf equipped engines running around in 5 years,and if there is i reckon they will be smokey old buses. live and learn.
rublehousen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 20:34   #13
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_56 View Post
I can't agree. Mine seems to work exactly as documented in the owner's manual (repeated below). Further, mine gets a 50 mile thrash at least six times a week, and an oil analysis carried out less than 4k miles after oil changed showed it to already be out of grade.

The particles in the exhaust gasses are collected in the filter during normal driving. So called "regeneration" is started in order to burn away the particles and empty the filter. This requires the engine to have reached normal operating temperature.

Regeneration of the filter takes place automatically at an interval 300-900km depending on driving conditions. Regeneration normally takes between 10 and 20 minutes. During this time fuel consumption may increase
How do you know it is injecting additional fuel to regenerate? There is no indication that it is happening, or has happened and given the indicated range that it can happen within you cannot use fuel consumption as an indicator either.
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 21:26   #14
Bill_56
Premier Member

Quote:
How do you know it is injecting additional fuel to regenerate? There is no indication that it is happening, or has happened and given the indicated range that it can happen within you cannot use fuel consumption as an indicator either.
The strongest tell-tale is the computer's Distance-to-empty readout, which bases it's prediction on mpg over the last few miles. During regeneration, as the car starts squirting neat diesel into the exhaust, anything up to about 100 miles disappears from the computer's DTE, whilst only having covered a distance of maybe 10 miles, and without any change in driving conditions. Following regeneration, the DTE recovers most of that as the MPG recovers, but it never gets back to the equivalent (allowing for actual distance travelled) of where it started because, of course, some fuel has been permanently spent.

If you are on a PERFECTLY level road with light traffic, put the car on cruise control, you may also be able to get a stable readout on instantaneous MPG, which will also plummet. That's only really reliable it's a stretch of road with which you are familiar, and can compare the reading with what it normally shows. Be VERY careful not to focus too much on the instantaneous mpg, as it's a long way off your windscreen view and can distract from driving.
Old Jul 24th, 2010, 10:29   #15
hazphi

Having done a lot of research recently due to finding out that my S40 1.6D was one of the first Euro IVs with DPF (original order had been for a Euro III).

An (expensive) additive is added to the fuel tank every time you fill up. This reduces the ignition temperature of the soot. When the dpf diiferential pressure sensor detects that there is a soot buildup the ECU intitiates a dpf regeneration. Amongst other things it changes the ignition timing and injects diesel into the exhaust stroke which then burns in the dpf filter turning the soot into ash. Every 37.5k miles the dpf filter needs to be changed (expensive!) as the ash starts to block the ceramic filter.

I've had my car nearly 5 years and done 93k miles. In that time I've had periods of long journeys and short commutes. I've never had an issue with the dpf (as I didn't realise I had one!) until I got it serviced by a third party who didn't refill the additive tank (which is why they quoted £60 cheaper!). Eventually the car went into limp home mode. This was fixed by adding some Wynns (with cerium oxide) to the tank and then taking it for a blast on the A1 - the engine hesitated when it regenned (presumably because of the soot build up).

As far as I'm concerned, provided you run the car once for at least 20 minutes continuously every tank of fuel you probably won't have a problem
hazphi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2010, 12:19   #16
catch22
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazphi View Post
Having done a lot of research recently due to finding out that my S40 1.6D was one of the first Euro IVs with DPF .................

Every 37.5k miles the dpf filter needs to be changed (expensive!) as the ash starts to block the ceramic filter.
I take it you meant to say every 37.5K the Eloy's additive reservoir needs refilling. As the DPF is scheduled for replacement every 75k. Of course I know of original DPF's doing cica 100k

Below quote is copied from the Ford Service Schedule for the 1.6 Duratorg-TDCi engined Focus

Diesel particulate filter Every 75 000 miles - Renew - Duratorq-TDCi with Stage IV Emission only, if applicable (LTS 25 280 1)
Old Jul 30th, 2010, 18:29   #17
Nick44
Ex 850/V70 Register Keepe

Quote:
Hi Wimorrison.
I use my V70 D5 Gen3 for almost exclusive motorway use. I have had the rising oil level and subsequent sump oil pollution problem.

Now I know what I'm looking for a regen can be spotted very easily, and since I have had the software patch loaded from the recall, my MPG has improved by almost 10 per gallon.

Bill is right.
Old Jul 30th, 2010, 18:46   #18
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick44 View Post
Hi Wimorrison.
I use my V70 D5 Gen3 for almost exclusive motorway use. I have had the rising oil level and subsequent sump oil pollution problem.

Now I know what I'm looking for a regen can be spotted very easily, and since I have had the software patch loaded from the recall, my MPG has improved by almost 10 per gallon.

Bill is right.
Which software patch is this and what is the age of your car please? I have not been offered a software patch recall and my mileage has not changed since i got the car 9 months ago - still sitting at 33.5mpg +/-1 depending on roads
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2010, 18:52   #19
Bill_56
Premier Member

Quote:
Which software patch is this and what is the age of your car please? I have not been offered a software patch recall and my mileage has not changed since i got the car 9 months ago - still sitting at 33.5mpg +/-1 depending on roads
I think I already mentioned earlier in the thread that most Euro 4 D5s had been recalled. I also posted the recall lists.

If your car was in the lists I posted and you haven't had the recall letter, you could give them a ring to check it's not just got lost...
Old Jul 30th, 2010, 18:57   #20
Bill_56
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_56 View Post
I think I already mentioned earlier in the thread that most Euro 4 D5s had been recalled. I also posted the recall lists.

If your car was in the lists I posted and you haven't had the recall letter, you could give them a ring to check it's not just got lost...
Correction, I posted that in the related thread "comparing Volvo diesel engines".

Tags
dpf white smoke diesel