Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Car insurance advice - Protected no claims discount

Views : 1709

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 20th, 2010, 19:40   #1
Macp
S70R owner

Default Car insurance advice - Protected no claims discount

Sorry this is a little long winded please bear with me.
I have been a customer with this insurance company for car insurance on and off for a while, my wife is also a customer. Recently I sold my car and informed them but because I could not find a replacement car within the given time my insurance was cancelled. I was given a refund for the shortfall as my policy was not due for renewal until next year less a £35 administration charge.

A week or two later I found what I thought was the perfect car (S70R) so the evening before going to view it I decided to run the cars details through a comparison website. The same insurer offered the best quote so I wrote down the quote reference and took it with me the next day. Happy with the car I phoned the insurance company giving them the quote reference. The operator ran through my details and at the end announced a price which was £7 less than the online quote. Fearing something had been missed I asked if my no claims was protected as I had ticked this option on the comparison website and have always done so. The operator replied that she would have to go back and run through the quote again. Admittedly I didn’t want to do this as I was short of time and using the sellers telephone but the operator said if it was ticked on the original quote all should be well.

A few days later the policy arrived and I noticed my no claims was not protected. I called the insurance company immediately and they confirmed this and that there would be an additional charge of £34 to protect them. I explained what had happened as above and they revised the policy to include the protection but they would review the tapes of the call and make a decision as to who would be liable for payment and call me back in a day or two.

24hrs later they called me back having reviewed the tapes & in their opinion I was to be liable for the extra cost. I again protested that I had ticked the option on the comparison website and that the quote was still there and the option was definitely ticked. So they again said they would go away and check this. Today they called me back and said they had checked the quote and the option was not ticked!!

Doing my best not to lose my temper I explained that I absolutely had ticked the option and that if they looked back at my previous insurance history they would see that my no claims was protected and why would I now not protect them. I finished by strongly advising I would absolutely kick up a stink with anyone who would listen about how I felt I was being treated unfairly. The operator asked me if I would like to escalate this to a complaint and of course I said yes please.

To be honest £34 is not a lot of money but I absolutely 100% did tick the option for protected no claims as I proudly have maximum no claims bonus. Being honest again I would pay the £7 difference originally quoted if they ask me.

I thought I was in the right here but the insistence of the insurance company is beginning to make me doubt myself ?
Macp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2010, 19:58   #2
lovejoy633
Premier Member

Wink

Go thru the online process again, print each page you complete, and if the final quote comes up as you expect it to......send them copies and ask THEM for compensation for Your time !!!!!!!!!!

1996 Volvo 960 3.0 24v
1978 1500 Triumph Spitfire
1984 Land rover 90,1990 Land rover turbo diesel
lovejoy633 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lovejoy633 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 20th, 2010, 20:11   #3
Macp
S70R owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovejoy633 View Post
Go thru the online process again, print each page you complete, and if the final quote comes up as you expect it to......send them copies and ask THEM for compensation for Your time !!!!!!!!!!
Actually thats not a bad idea to be honest I was avoiding going into the quote just incase it could be seen that I had logged in then they could accuse me of tampering.
Old Dec 20th, 2010, 20:20   #4
lovejoy633
Premier Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by macp View Post
Actually thats not a bad idea to be honest I was avoiding going into the quote just incase it could be seen that I had logged in then they could accuse me of tampering.
Well there's no way "you" can tamper with anything on their system, so nothing to loose. In fact quite the reverse if you get the quote you originally had, it could be most amusing waiting for their "explaination" !!!!!

Let us know how you get on

1996 Volvo 960 3.0 24v
1978 1500 Triumph Spitfire
1984 Land rover 90,1990 Land rover turbo diesel

Last edited by lovejoy633; Dec 20th, 2010 at 20:20. Reason: speling by dummies
lovejoy633 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lovejoy633 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 20th, 2010, 20:33   #5
gmain1967
Premier Member

Alternatively, just advise them that you are not accepting their "decision" and as such, you are at stalemate. Then advise that you wish the insurance ombudsman to be involved. From recent experience, that does the trick.
gmain1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gmain1967 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 20th, 2010, 20:40   #6
Macp
S70R owner

Just ran the quote through go compare again.

Original quote was £297.13

New quote £300.10
Old Dec 20th, 2010, 20:41   #7
Macp
S70R owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmain1967 View Post
Alternatively, just advise them that you are not accepting their "decision" and as such, you are at stalemate. Then advise that you wish the insurance ombudsman to be involved. From recent experience, that does the trick.
That works for me.
Old Dec 20th, 2010, 20:44   #8
deathrider311271
I've Been Banned

insurance quotes change daily, if u did it on a comparason site your original quote will still be there somewhere, look for your original quote as it will be valid for a min of 30 days, print this one off showing your protected NCB
deathrider311271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2010, 20:47   #9
Macp
S70R owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathrider311271 View Post
insurance quotes change daily, if u did it on a comparason site your original quote will still be there somewhere, look for your original quote as it will be valid for a min of 30 days, print this one off showing your protected NCB
Thanks as I said the quote is still there and the option is ticked yet they insist it isnt ??
Old Dec 20th, 2010, 20:50   #10
deathrider311271
I've Been Banned

in that case print it off and send it to them recorded delivery also keep a copy yourself thus proving u r correct not them, as said before use the threat of the insurance ombudsmen as well
deathrider311271 is offline   Reply With Quote