Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > ETM Issues

Notices

ETM Issues Discuss issues regarding the problems with ETMs fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bosch ETM cleaned up and stable idle now

Views : 2742

Replies : 0

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 9th, 2015, 23:51   #1
DT19
Master Member

Default Bosch ETM cleaned up and stable idle now

I finally had some time to have a crack at cleaning out my ETM and I have to say it wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be. All I did was to remove the pipe at the intercooler end and lift it to make a bit of room and take out the radiator fan and cowling. It was fairly easy to drop the air pipe off the bottom of the ETM and get at the bolts and cable. It can't have taken more than 45 minutes and I was going carefully.

I used some throttle body cleaner and my girlfriends toothbrush (I'll buy her a new one) and 20 minutes later it was gleaming in there.

Getting the new ETM gasket and bolts back in made me swear a bit but after that it was easy.

My idle is now nice and steady and low end acceleration is much better. It might still be idling a little on the low side and 680rpm but it doesn't try to cut out at junctions any more.

If you think you have ETM issues and feel a bit daunted about tackling it yourself I'd say get stuck in and have a go, it wasn't anywhere near as difficult as you might think and the improvement is well worth it.

I did manage to break the handle off my dipstick though so that's another £1 to the scrap yard man for another one.

DT19 is offline   Reply With Quote