Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Replacing discs and pads

Views : 1250

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 9th, 2015, 13:00   #11
oragex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobnutnet View Post
After last Volvo service they advised front discs scored, etc. but quoted £300 odd for the repair.

I would add a small nuance, many garages advise to replace the discs when they develop 'lines' or like such. In many cases this doesn't interfere with braking quality or doesn't imply the brake components are worn.

For the sliding pins use only Silicone synthetic grease, any other choice can make the rubber swallow and will cause the caliper to not work properly.
Akebono pads are a quality product and cause very little dust.
Old Sep 9th, 2015, 14:11   #12
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan W View Post
No. The 286 to 305 is plug and play.
Excellent, thanks Brendan.
I think I'll do that soon then as 305s aren't too different in price to my current 286s so I'll buy some carriers too and I'm away.
Old Sep 9th, 2015, 14:16   #13
Brendan W
Premier Member

If you are on 16" rims you might need to do a bit of digging. Afaik not all of them will let the bigger disc in and one case I recall a balance weight was in the way.
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2015, 14:18   #14
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan W View Post
If you are on 16" rims you might need to do a bit of digging. Afaik not all of them will let the bigger disc in and one case I recall a balance weight was in the way.
Forgot to add I'm on 17" Tethys wheels so it's all good.
Old Sep 9th, 2015, 16:02   #15
AndyJudge
Premier Member

Do the handbrake shoes while your at it as these can delaminate & cause very expensive hub damage.

Buy a new fitting kit for the shoes as the little springs are a PITA to get off (normally bend) so you can yes rip em out & replave with new & shiny kit for just a couple of £'s in the scheme of things.

Digi Pictures are your friend throughout the process
Previous 2001 C70 T5 GT Auto Convertible - Saffron
Previous 1999 S40 XS - Silver
AndyJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2015, 20:25   #16
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobnutnet View Post
Right, I've ordered Eicher discs and pads from Europarts, expect there to be an update on this thread that involves swearing and a little crying at some point in the next week or so.

To be honest, we're not expecting to keep the car that long so I've overidden my usual tendancy to overspec replacement parts and will simply go with stuff that works. The discs/pads are pretty bad so I think some cornflake boxes and sponges would be an improvement, so it's hard to see how even the cheaper versions can be much of a problem.

Jon
got these fitted on my v70 and have had no problems with them up to now, the same can not be said for my s60 tho. been a tight Yorkshire man finally caught up with me and after only 30,000 miles in just over a year my front bakes are knackered. not worn out just completely knackered pitted and scored. They were 48 quid for 2 ordered from parts for Volvos described as quality Swedish after market. Paid the price and did the job twice, lesson learnt haha

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Executive, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2015, 21:05   #17
Brendan W
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamBrown1 View Post
got these fitted on my v70 and have had no problems with them up to now, the same can not be said for my s60 tho. been a tight Yorkshire man finally caught up with me and after only 30,000 miles in just over a year my front bakes are knackered. not worn out just completely knackered pitted and scored. They were 48 quid for 2 ordered from parts for Volvos described as quality Swedish after market. Paid the price and did the job twice, lesson learnt haha
For comparison my Mintex fronts have 27k on them and are barely marked. Got 130k from the originals.
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2015, 22:07   #18
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

My originals did around 100k on both cars just fitted Mintex to the s60 as thats the main mile eater so I'm hoping for better performance this time.

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Executive, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2015, 23:20   #19
bournricha
bournricha

Default brake pads discs

I have been getting them from Mr Auto online .Seem no problem and very cheap .But not if you are in a hurry .Delivery takes ten days .I think they have to send off for them themselves then post them on from Belgium
Old Jan 23rd, 2018, 01:42   #20
aspireofbrixham

Default Go for genuine

The job is easy as described elsewhere. Years ago now (I’m easy on my brakes) my indie garage replaced the fronts with 3rd party rotors and pads, then replaced them again due to vibration. Then front wishbone bushes which only 1/2 cured it. The third set were Mintex which were still uneven and have resulted in an advisory on every MOT since. They finally wore out and I have just replaced them in advance of this year’s MOT with genuine Volvo rotors and pads for less than £100 on eBay from a Volvo dealer in the NE. Vibration free at last.

Rears I found bit more difficult as you can’t steer the hub for better access to the carrier bolts but if you have a better selection of ratchets and bars than me it may be easier. Wasn’t helped by the fact that the last time my rears were done (2 years ago), it was at a Volvo main dealer who failed to spot the calliper was seized first time round. When they replaced the calliper, pads and burned out rotor, they must have torqued calliper bolts to about 200 NM which compounded my removal issues.

Having moved house and hence local indie garage since episode one above, new garage repeatedly (about 4 years on the trot) failed to resolve crap handbrake despite specifically asking him to replace anything / everything ‘so I never have to ask again’.

New genuine drums and shoes fitted in episode 2 above were still in good condition (prob’ly cos it never bloody worked) so I had it all apart, cleaned, copper greased all pivots and contact points, fitted new retaining springs and manual adjusters in place of static spacer bar and for the first time in my ownership have a handbrake that works efficiently and as you might expect.
aspireofbrixham is offline   Reply With Quote