Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Width of 15" wheels

Views : 1616

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 16th, 2017, 15:58   #1
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Default Width of 15" wheels

I like my Scorpious that I have on my SE. But I am tempted toward 15" to get good tyres choice. I would want a straightforward sort of width and profile if you see what I mean.

Prufrock has mentioned in the forum some that look good. Star? But my local tyre depot tell me 7 x 15 is very wide.

I've seen Volvo Omegas although they were very nice condition, too good for me. Perhaps I can find some more workaday ones. They look practical but I don't know the wheel width.

Can anyone advise what the widths are of Volvo 15" alloys that fit the 240. And what width will suit ordinary sized tyres, in sizes where there is a decent choice of quality tyres available please?

Stephen
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2017, 16:19   #2
Antz
No I'm not the redhead

Factory fitted Virgo wheels on the GLT were 15x6 with a 196/60/15 tyre.

A lot of folks step up to the Volvo "Galaxy" wheel which is a 16x7 and run a 205/50/16 tyre which fits on without any problems or catching.

Anything wider than a 7 will cause arch issues but a 7 will go on without any problems providing the offset is around the stock ET20.

To be honest, you cant go wrong with the GLT wheels. They are made for a 240, look good on them, can be had for £100-150 a set and will go straight on without any issues ever.

Swap a T5 motor into your RWD Volvo:The Guide
Antz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Antz For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 16th, 2017, 16:50   #3
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Thanks Antz. I've never got involved on more than 185 80 14. I'm lost.

I get the idea from what you say that the 15" wheels start at 6" wide and that 7" is not very wide for the 240? What is the effect on driving of 196/60/15 and of 205/50/16 and of whatever fits 7 x 15?

What is that "Star" wheel of Prufrock anyway? https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/attac...9&d=1510829968 It looks neat.
Old Nov 16th, 2017, 17:11   #4
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

If you do go for Virgos then I would suggest 195/65 tyres rather than /60s as the former are slightly softer and more forgiving in terms of ride comfort -my GLT is so equipped although the GLT's had firmer suspension than the other cars.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 16th, 2017, 19:53   #5
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Thanks Loki. To use Virgo I would need some Humble Pie. I still regard them as Stalinist Era Industrial. I admit they look reasonable on the GLT for which they were made.

Re width I've looked at my Scorpious. They are marked as 6J x 14. So I am already using 6" wide wheels, with my 185 x 14 tyres.
Old Nov 16th, 2017, 20:29   #6
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

I've just seen the Volvo Vesa design. 6J x 15 so the 15" equivalent of Scorpious. http://www.volvo-480-europe.org/imag...els/wheel6.jpg They could be an interesting choice if I find some.
EDIT: I think the Vesa are four stud fixing....very bad idea for a 240!

I do like the clean lines of prufrock's "Star" wheels. What are they called please???

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Nov 16th, 2017 at 20:40.
Old Nov 17th, 2017, 11:06   #7
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
If you do go for Virgos then I would suggest 195/65 tyres rather than /60s as the former are slightly softer and more forgiving in terms of ride comfort -my GLT is so equipped although the GLT's had firmer suspension than the other cars.
And it looks to me as if 195 65 15 has a wider choice range of quality tyres with good grip. Avon, Michelin, Firestone, Goodyear.... or are they van tyres?

And I think that size would fit both 6 x 15 and 7 x 15? Is there any real driving difference between 6 x 15 vs 7 x 15?

How do these wheel and tyre sizes work with speedometer/odometer function? Please....
Old Nov 17th, 2017, 15:17   #8
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

This is all simple stuff really, and 65 profile tyres aren't van tyres per se. As long as the rolling diameter, of the old wheel/tyre combo, is the same as the replacement, there are no issues (this a comment specifically about gearing nothing else).

Example; standard size tyre on a 245 is a 185/80 x 14 (horrible tyre size, limited choice of decent tyres) ? So, if for example you wanted to fit a 7 x 15 combo what tyres size would be best ?

Answer, a 205/65 would give you a rolling diameter well within the 3% tolerance - if you want to do it properly that is.

Jon.
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2017, 17:22   #9
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Yes I only ask simple stuff on the interweb....

Right so my initial "calculations" are correct. Thanks.

I really do want to know what those "star" wheels are actually called. I would need a spare wheel after all and one the same would be best.

I thought you woz ging away for the weekend Prufrock. Enjoy yourself.

Stephen
Old Nov 17th, 2017, 19:13   #10
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

There are several web-sites that let you compare tyre (or tire in the case of the American sites) rolling radius against your current set-up, and there are probably links on either this section or the 700/900-series section of the Forum.

Generally speaking the lower the profile the harsher the ride, since the sidewall is shorter on a 60-series tyre than on a 65-series one.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post: