Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 auto transmission glitch

Views : 4067

Replies : 78

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 15th, 2017, 17:42   #21
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Based on that, i'd say do another 20 miles or so (perhaps to warm the fluid up) then do another part-change, preferably until the pump won't suck anymore out. The sooner you get the majority of that burned fluid out the better!

Then give it another 200 miles or so, another change then 3-400 miles and another change and review things then, you may still want to do another part-change a few hundred miles after that as well.

Certainly sounds very promising though!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 15th, 2017, 22:26   #22
stegreg
VOC Member

One things ive read a lot about is the overdrive relay....and its fondness to melt the solder on the connections....would it be worth giving this a check... but if yes, where is it mounted on a 1995 SE? as cant see a white topped relay in the main fuseboard, other than the fuel relay. is there a second relay panel somewhere?
stegreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2017, 22:41   #23
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Possibly but probably not at this stage - it's gone into overdrive/4th so it has worked and seemingly consistently so far. That continues to point to the fluid being the problem.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 21st, 2017, 18:24   #24
jpliddy
VOC Member

Default 940 tdi auto 1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Don't flush it! Not with nearly 300k miles on it!

Do a "part-change" instead, drain the sump, either by removing the drain plug or using an oil extraction pump (about £15 on ebay and no crawling underneath!) and refill to the correct level using new fluid. I use Carlube ATF-U and have found it's an excellent fluid and suited to the Aisin-Warner box very well.

The first part-change will probably give you an instant improvement, do another in about a months time then another about a month later. This will in effect change all the fluid very gently and get a lot of dirt/contamination out of the box while reducing the risk of blowing seals with new, much thicker, fluid.
It also gives the seal conditioner present in the new fluid time to work which will help the seals much more than flushing it through with umpteen litres of new, thick fluid that could easily blow a weak seal to oblivion.

After the 3 part-changes, do one part-change a year to maintain the service changes at the right interval.
hi dave how does the car lube ATF compare to euro car parts ATF i used theres last time which has the best spec for my ZF auto box as it will be changed in the good weather .i will get 2x 5litres . millers oils do a millermatic oil never used it but only ever put there xfe semi synthetic in my diesel
regards jim
jpliddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jpliddy For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 21st, 2017, 19:28   #25
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

That's a very good question Jim - a few years ago i would have said they were the same but not now.

Annoyingly for me, the ECP ATF (equiv to ATF-U) was previously compatible with Honda Z-1 ATF but they changed the formulation and it no longer is, despite what it says on their website.

That may not sound like a big problem for Volvos but the Aisin-Warner boxes that Volvo specify JWS3309 for on later models need a composition of ATF very similar to Z-1, in fact ATF-U covers both Z-1 and JWS3309 and also the later Volvo spec with the long series of digits that i can't remember just now!

With the ZF box in yours, you could get away with Dexron II but when i changed (for the second time, i'd previously used Dex II-D) the ATF on my last 740 that had a ZF box, it was so much smoother on the ATF-U that i've used it ever since in ZF and AW boxes and been rewarded with a quieter, smoother box, better acceleration and economy and a very smooth ride.

I have heard that people who previously used ECPs ATF and subsequently the newer version of it found it didn't change as smoothly and generally felt it wasn't as good. I don't have any hard facts/evidence to back that up though so it's only hearsay.

The Carlube ATF-U covers all my cars for the gearboxes and gives better changes, performance and so on in all of them so i'll stick with it, unless they change it somehow in the future.

It also makes a great PAS fluid, i use a large (250ml) syringe to empty the PAS reservoir then top up with fresh ATF-U, bleed the steering and top up. I do this once a week for 3-4 weeks or until the fluid coming out is clean as and when the fluid starts looking a bit "off colour".

A pint or so usually finds its way into the engine oil as well, it helps keep the engine clean inside, revives the oil seals and quietens things down, especially ticky hydraulic lifters.

As for the Millermatic, i know someone who is doing a long term test on that, early results aren't encouraging though. As such either Carlube ATF-U or Valvoline ATF but the Valvoline is dearer than the ATF-U.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 22nd, 2017, 09:56   #26
jpliddy
VOC Member

Default 940 ti auto 1995

hi dave
i will be useing carelube on my next oil change on what you think . where did you get yours from .regards jim
Old Dec 22nd, 2017, 09:58   #27
jpliddy
VOC Member

Default 940 tdi auto 1995

sorry dave
just seen it on your previous thread
regards jim
Old Dec 22nd, 2017, 12:01   #28
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpliddy View Post
hi dave
i will be useing carelube on my next oil change on what you think . where did you get yours from .regards jim
Ebay is usually the best price Jim :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carlube-A...QAAOSwBEpZpY7F

I have bought it from GSF in the past but only when they have one of their 55% off promos and also their site keeps trying to tell me it's the wrong fluid
for any of my cars insisting on trying to sell me something called "Dextron" instead.
Considering they aren't even spelling the name of the fluid they recommend correctly (should be Dexron!) and Dexron would kill two of my gearboxes in very short order, i usually avoid them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpliddy View Post
sorry dave
just seen it on your previous thread
regards jim
No worries Jim!

Old Dec 24th, 2017, 16:59   #29
760Simon
Getting old disgracefully

Dave,

Just doing my pre Xmas workshop clear up (keep me out of all the mayhem) I found some of the attached, would this be the old stuff that they have now changed the spec on ????
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20171224_001.jpg (161.7 KB, 7 views)
760Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 760Simon For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 24th, 2017, 18:34   #30
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 760Simon View Post
Dave,

Just doing my pre Xmas workshop clear up (keep me out of all the mayhem) I found some of the attached, would this be the old stuff that they have now changed the spec on ????
Certainly looks like it Simon! Are you planning an ATF change?