Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Connecting a CTEK MXS 5.0 to an XC60

Views : 3468

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 30th, 2017, 19:46   #1
BoJoUK

Default Connecting a CTEK MXS 5.0 to an XC60

Hello, I would be obliged if one of the members here with technical know how could advise me on the best way to fit the leads from the CTEK MXS 5.0 Battery charger/ conditioner to my car. An XC60 D4 AWD - MY2015 - AT 1446.

I am no longer doing the mileage that I used to and keep getting Low Battery warnings and the Infotainment system keeps shutting down soon after stopping the engine. There is always plenty of power to start the car.

The charger comes with a pair of crock clips to clip onto the battery and also a lead with eyelets to be able to fit to the battery terminals and this will make it MUCH easier to connect the charger by leaving that connecting lead fitted. The charger is designed to be able to charge without disconnecting the battery. The alternator is charging at the correct voltage.

Now my question. Will I be able to connect the eyelets to each of the Battery terminals (Black to Black and Red to Red)? OR do I have to connect the Red to Red terminal and the Black to a place on the car body? Obviously connecting to both battery terminals would be best IF IT WONT DO ANY DAMAGE.

In my mind the car body and the battery negative terminal are electrically the same, but common sense tells me to ask the advise of those who know best.

I have hopefully appended a link to the charger below.

Thank you in anticipation.

Bob

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old Dec 30th, 2017, 19:59   #2
4x4
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoJoUK View Post
Now my question. Will I be able to connect the eyelets to each of the Battery terminals (Black to Black and Red to Red)?
As above, red onto the positive battery terminal and black onto the negative battery terminal. The CTEK will show an error if you reverse connect the terminals, so you can't go wrong with it

If you're not using the car too often don't be tempted to keep the charger connected more than you need to when it's parked up. Contrary to what CTEK claim the charger will eventually kill a good battery if it is left on indefinitely. Usually once a week for a few hours will be plenty to keep your battery in tiptop order.
4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4x4 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 30th, 2017, 20:28   #3
Rex65

Just posting in agreeance with the above.
My leads are connected directly to the battery and I have secured the flylead with a zip tie to stop it flapping around.
I simply just plug the charger in and leave it running for a day every 2 weeks if the car has been standing unused.
Old Dec 30th, 2017, 20:31   #4
Whyman
Premier Member

Connect as 4x4 says. If you are doing it regularly then buy one of the CTEK connector plugs that allows you to just plug and charge.

When I bought mine one came with the charger and I bought a second one that has 3 led lights that show the state of charge.
Old Dec 30th, 2017, 20:48   #5
Chrisv60

Connecting black to an earth point on the car instead of to the battery is so that any spark produced as the earth lead is disconnected will be remote from the hydrogen gas produced by the battery which might otherwise explode. The earth lead should therefore be removed first after charging.

However, fixing the leads to the battery with eyelets means that the connection/disconnection point is remote from the battery and hydrogen source altogether so any sparks on disconnection are unlikely to ignite the gas.
Old Dec 30th, 2017, 22:26   #6
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisv60 View Post
Connecting black to an earth point on the car instead of to the battery is so that any spark produced as the earth lead is disconnected will be remote from the hydrogen gas produced by the battery which might otherwise explode. The earth lead should therefore be removed first after charging.

However, fixing the leads to the battery with eyelets means that the connection/disconnection point is remote from the battery and hydrogen source altogether so any sparks on disconnection are unlikely to ignite the gas.
I think the CTEK system does not apply a charging current immediately, so there is no risk of hydrogen gas ignition. There is a delay whilst the 'system' checks the polarity is correct.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NigelDay For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 30th, 2017, 22:28   #7
HDAV
Master Member

I ordered one of these for my dad for a xmas turned up ok in a dusty box now just need to find somewhere to fit it

https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/ctek-volt...5m-cable-a13tj
HDAV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HDAV For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 31st, 2017, 01:26   #8
BoJoUK

Thank you all for the information you have given to me, as I mentioned initially, I wanted to double check with "those that know" before I connected it up. I appreciate everyones help and guidance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyman View Post
I bought a second one that has 3 led lights that show the state of charge.
Whyman, the charger does have the connectors on the leads, but you made reference to a connector with 3 light on it. Have you routed that to the inside of the car or put it somewhere where it can be seen BEFORE opening the car? and how successful is it? does it work well?

Bob
Old Dec 31st, 2017, 08:15   #9
Whyman
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoJoUK View Post
Thank you all for the information you have given to me, as I mentioned initially, I wanted to double check with "those that know" before I connected it up. I appreciate everyones help and guidance.

Whyman, the charger does have the connectors on the leads, but you made reference to a connector with 3 light on it. Have you routed that to the inside of the car or put it somewhere where it can be seen BEFORE opening the car? and how successful is it? does it work well?

Bob
On the XC60 it sits inside the battery box so you have to take the cover off to see it. If you look on the Roadpro website you can see what it looks like. From memory it is about £8 not sure about delivery cost. It works well but sometimes gives an amber indication after a run when I would have expected it to be green.

I bought it because I kept getting a low battery warning message but the dealer said the battery was fine, and it always started the car. I eventually got fed up with the message and bought a new battery, Bosch S5. Never had the message again so do not use it any more.
Old Jan 1st, 2018, 17:35   #10
BoJoUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyman View Post
On the XC60 it sits inside the battery box so you have to take the cover off to see it.
Before I actually installed the eyelet lead I had planned on placing the plug connector OUTSIDE of the battery box, but after you saying that you had left yours INSIDE the battery box it made me think.
I have decided that by leaving it inside, I need to remove the lid before connecting up. Then by placing the removed lid on the drivers seat it means that I can NEVER accidentally drive off forgetting that the lead is connected.