Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What affects MPG

Views : 1867

Replies : 38

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 22nd, 2018, 00:10   #21
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Driving style, anticipation. I have achieved a much higher average in my last three cars than others have with similar steeds by paying attention!! I always work a brim to brim average and compare it to trip computer if fitted.
biggbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2018, 12:10   #22
domhart10
Volvo S40

... if you floor it, you can even get your mpg to drop below average

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to domhart10 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 22nd, 2018, 20:04   #23
Simon Jones
Premier Member

Faulty thermostat resulting in engine taking longer to get to operating temperature will ruin your fuel economy.
2001 V70 D5 - sold
2000 V70 Classic 2.4 - sold
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simon Jones For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 22nd, 2018, 20:37   #24
rippedoffagain
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Jones View Post
Faulty thermostat resulting in engine taking longer to get to operating temperature will ruin your fuel economy.
Good call. I would never have thought of that but it makes perfect sense.

In my case though I don't think that's an issue. The heater doesn't take longer to warm up and when it does, it's lovely and warm. I know it comes from the coolant heat so I guess the thermostat is fine.

As an aside, some years ago now I was talking to a mechanic who told me he always changes the thermostat on a car if he doesn't know it's history, and then just absorbs the cost himself (when doing work for someone already). I asked him why, because my car was only in for an mot I think. He said thermostat failure can kill a car, but a new one costs him next to nothing and takes no time to change, so he just does it.
rippedoffagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2018, 00:08   #25
Simon Jones
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippedoffagain View Post
Good call. I would never have thought of that but it makes perfect sense.
I can't really take the credit as I read it here: https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=277135
2001 V70 D5 - sold
2000 V70 Classic 2.4 - sold
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2018, 07:15   #26
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

I wonder why we buy cars with powerful engines, always looking for way more to get more performance then drive like Miss Daisy to improve the MPG - without doubt an oxymoron.

I’d we take an average mileage at 12000 and fuel at £1.25 per litre then the difference between 30 MPG and 40 MPG is only £10 per week and I am sure most people spend that in the pub (and often much more). Certainly at £3+ per pint it is easy to do.

Personally I have given up trying to coax the mpg to ever higher figures which killed what little fun driving has now and I simply drive to get to wherever I am going. If that is spirited and I get 45 mpg that’s a bonus, if I enjoy the drive and get 35 mpg so what?

If I wanted a high mpg then I would drive my wife’s Clio and get 50+ mpg but would be so bored upon arrival.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 23rd, 2018, 09:03   #27
rippedoffagain
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
I wonder why we buy cars with powerful engines, always looking for way more to get more performance then drive like Miss Daisy to improve the MPG - without doubt an oxymoron.

I’d we take an average mileage at 12000 and fuel at £1.25 per litre then the difference between 30 MPG and 40 MPG is only £10 per week and I am sure most people spend that in the pub (and often much more). Certainly at £3+ per pint it is easy to do.

Personally I have given up trying to coax the mpg to ever higher figures which killed what little fun driving has now and I simply drive to get to wherever I am going. If that is spirited and I get 45 mpg that’s a bonus, if I enjoy the drive and get 35 mpg so what?

If I wanted a high mpg then I would drive my wife’s Clio and get 50+ mpg but would be so bored upon arrival.
Perfectly good point.

But in my case it's not about squeezing the most miles out of a tank of fuel. It's more specifically that I've just changed my car and early indications were that it was nowhere near as efficient as I'd expect,this leading me to wonder if it's just because I happened to buy it when it's freezing out and I lost the fuel cap, or if I should start suspecting an engine fault.
rippedoffagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2018, 10:41   #28
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

I'm not sure that I would necessarily agree with 'wimorrison' that smaller engined / less powerful cars are any more economical of fuel than larger ones. Larger engined cars tend to pull higher gear ratios for a given speed resulting in a lower engine speed and less, not more, fuel usage.

In the '70s, my Fiat 500L returned an average of 45MPG, compared with my Mini 1000, which returned 47MPG overall over similar periods of ownership. In fleet circles, it was normal for the rep's Ford Cortina 1300 to be much less economical on fuel (and also require more mechanical attention) than the sales manager's 1600 version over similar mileages.

I drive a larger engined car for the comfort, safety and general well-being that it imbues. Because it is also an older one, I suffer little or no depreciation during my ownership, which more than compensates for the little extra that I spend at the pumps. As has been said many times before, there is much more to economical motoring than the actual amount of fuel consumed for each mile driven.

Regards, John.
Old Jan 23rd, 2018, 15:49   #29
Grimble
Grimble

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
I'm not sure that I would necessarily agree with 'wimorrison' that smaller engined / less powerful cars are any more economical of fuel than larger ones. Larger engined cars tend to pull higher gear ratios for a given speed resulting in a lower engine speed and less, not more, fuel usage.

In the '70s, my Fiat 500L returned an average of 45MPG, compared with my Mini 1000, which returned 47MPG overall over similar periods of ownership. In fleet circles, it was normal for the rep's Ford Cortina 1300 to be much less economical on fuel (and also require more mechanical attention) than the sales manager's 1600 version over similar mileages.

I drive a larger engined car for the comfort, safety and general well-being that it imbues. Because it is also an older one, I suffer little or no depreciation during my ownership, which more than compensates for the little extra that I spend at the pumps. As has been said many times before, there is much more to economical motoring than the actual amount of fuel consumed for each mile driven.

Regards, John.
Quite agree, having to use my wife's Vauxhall Mokka this week due to a clutch issue (see another thread). Her 1.6 petrol Mokka, despite being much newer and smaller than my XC has returned on average 10mpg less, in a noisy cabin with poorer performance and less comfort.
Totally vindicates my preference for an older, big lazy diesel. Despite her car being a similar cost price at one year old to my XC at 3 and a half years old, after 4 years the depreciation on each will be fairly similar.

So to my mind, I get the above mentioned benefits of my XC for a lower cost (see MPG) than her Mokka.

Of course if you are the type that likes to have a brand new car then its a different argument. But that price is way too high for me!
Old Jan 23rd, 2018, 21:45   #30
canis
Non Fragile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimble View Post
Quite agree, having to use my wife's Vauxhall Mokka this week due to a clutch issue (see another thread). Her 1.6 petrol Mokka, despite being much newer and smaller than my XC has returned on average 10mpg less, in a noisy cabin with poorer performance and less comfort.
Precisely my feeling about my father-in-law's Kia Picanto. He says it's economical, but I didn't notice any significant saving. The only thing economical about it is the specification. It doesn't even have a clock! I mean, how desperate to save costs can you be?

Despite all this, I looked up the price, 8000 euros when he bought it new. He refuses to admit what he actually paid, must be embarrassingly high then, for a pile of utter junk. It is so utilitarian it's chairs would rival any unemployment benefit office. Riding in it is a jarring experience, honestly it's like riding a wild mouse! Underpowered, uncomfortable and not even economic.

He bought it as part of that eco-buy-a-new-car government scheme. Well, we all know the government are out of touch, but they (and he) were screwed royally. I suppose it's a success for capitalism, Kia presumabnly made money on it.

I can't help wondering why he wouldn't prefer sumptuous leather armchairs and wool carpets. It's what he has in his house.

Oh, and it stinks. It stinks of human sweat in a plastic box. Like nylon underwear, but car-sized. I mean, the mind boggles, really it does. I am being deadly serious when I say this; I would rather drive around in a Lada Riva.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote