Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 wing mirror glass removal

Views : 804

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 28th, 2020, 20:53   #1
griston64
Premier Member

Default 940 wing mirror glass removal

Need to replace my passenger side glass and being a tad heavy handed ( and impatient ) I wondered if someone can tell me how to remove without breaking it. The motor works fine but the heated glass no longer works and I've picked up a spare mirror to nick the glass out of

Cheers
griston64 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 28th, 2020, 22:06   #2
capt jack
VOC Member

If it's the same as the 960 then it's dead easy. Adjust the mirror as far as possible in the lateral plane so that it's angled in towards the car window. Then look between the glass and the mirror shell. There's a black plastic ring on the back of the glass and a corresponding ring on the face of the motor. You'll there are two clips visible which hold the two rings together. With a small flat-bladed screwdriver gently prize the two clips apart.

Then adjust the mirror outwards as far as it will go. If you look behind the mirror glass (it might help to wind down the window, or fold the mirror housing outwards) you'll see two more clips holding the two plastic rings together. Again with the screwdriver pop these two clips apart and the mirror glass will simply drop away from the housing. There are two electrical connections for the heating element. These are easily pulled off the connector tags on the back of the mirror glass.

To fit the new glass firstly reconnect the the two heater element cables, then align the two plastic rings, one on the motor, one on the back of the mirror, and gently push the mirror glass into the mirror housing, The four clips previously undone will snap back into place, job done.

It really is very easy, and takes far longer to explain than it does to do!

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 28th, 2020, 22:24   #3
Ian21401
Premier Member

Mark, the heater in my nearside door mirror on my 940 did not work when I acquired the car. It took me quite a while to summon up the courage to try and remove it. I eventually found a breaker with similar mirrors. As per Haynes, chapqter 11.9, section 22 the method required differs between models pre 1992 and post 1992.
The pre 1992 method involves using a screwdriver through an access hole to prise the glass from it’s retaining ring.
My car is 1992, there is no access hole in the mirror housing so I presumed the post 1992 method was required. I tested the method by removing the glass from the breaker car. Press the glass at the outer end into the mirror head so that the inner end of the glass moves out of the mirror head far enough to be able to insert your fingers behind the glass. You should by then be able to see the heater connection terminals on the back of the glass. Place one hand strategically to prevent the glass from falling out when it does eventually come free. Apply a continuous steadily increasing pull on the inner end and it will eventually pop free of the retaining ring. I thought that the glass was about to break before it eventually popped off. Having successfully removed the glass from the breaker I then used the same method to successfully remove the glass from my car.
I cannot properly remember how I refitted the glass and I cannot locate the notes that I made at the time but I seem to recall that there are some plastic pins, one end of which is popped into the adjustment unit and the other end of which is popped into the fitting on the back of the glass and so connect the glass to the adjustment unit. Haynes seems to suggest refitting those pins into the adjustment unit then attaching the glass to the pins but l think that I found it easier to attach the pins to the glass first then offer up the glass and locate the pins into the adjustment unit as I did so.
Fortunately I had retained the pins from the mirror on the breaker car as one of the pins on my car had snapped, whether prior to or during the removal procedure I cannot say.
Good luck.
Stay Safe.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.

Last edited by Ian21401; Apr 28th, 2020 at 22:29.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 28th, 2020, 22:52   #4
griston64
Premier Member

As expected I broke the glass
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 28th, 2020, 22:59   #5
Forrest
VOC Member

There are some pictures in this post I took the last time I removed a mirror glass.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...6&postcount=26

There should be a total of eight little clips unless some are already broken. This time of year it would be best to wait for a warm day before removing the mirror glass as the plastic will be less brittle.

The first time I ever removed one I very carefully pried the little clips with a small screwdriver. Last time I just ripped the glass away with no damage.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 28th, 2020, 23:15   #6
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
There are some pictures in this post I took the last time I removed a mirror glass.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...6&postcount=26

There should be a total of eight little clips unless some are already broken. This time of year it would be best to wait for a warm day before removing the mirror glass as the plastic will be less brittle.

The first time I ever removed one I very carefully pried the little clips with a small screwdriver. Last time I just ripped the glass away with no damage.
Looks like I'll be ordering a new glass from your link
Old Apr 28th, 2020, 23:18   #7
griston64
Premier Member

Although they only list right hand side glass ?
Old Apr 29th, 2020, 00:03   #8
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
As expected I broke the glass
I was just about to explain how to remove the glass intact when i read your post! A heat gun to soften the glue and then you can peel the glass away from the backing.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Left-side...e/332531752502

That should be the right one for you, they also do the blue tinted versions as well.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 29th, 2020, 08:48   #9
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I was just about to explain how to remove the glass intact when i read your post! A heat gun to soften the glue and then you can peel the glass away from the backing.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Left-side...e/332531752502

That should be the right one for you, they also do the blue tinted versions as well.
I'd be keen to see the back of that to see if it has the heater connectors on it. Also I'm not sure that I would be able to peel the glass from the backing it seems pretty solid
Old Apr 29th, 2020, 10:16   #10
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
I'd be keen to see the back of that to see if it has the heater connectors on it. Also I'm not sure that I would be able to peel the glass from the backing it seems pretty solid

Your wish is.............. ^^^^^^^

A previous owner had fitted a plain glass stick-on mirror over the front of the original drivers door mirror glass because it had gone mottled. Although the heater still worked, it didn't have much effect through 2 layers of glass with a sticky layer in between but the bit that really annoyed me was they hadn't even lined up the new with the old!

As such, i had to peel back two mirrors from the backing.

First glass removed ^^^^^

Second (original) removed ^^^^^

For some odd reason, the new glass had the heater connections in a different place (presumably as it was a 940 glass) so a little modification was needed :

Holes drilled for the connections ^^^^^ and enlarged so the glass fitted flush on the backing :

From the front, finished item ready to refit :

All removal work done with a heatgun, levers and wedges or in short, a heatgun and selection of screwdrivers!

I got the aespheric blue tinted version as that's what mine had originally i believe.

Been on there several months now without any problems, obviously i cleaned the glue residue from the backing with IPA so the new glass had something clean to adhere to but other than that and actually refitting it to the mirror housing (which is a lot easier on mine than yours!) those photos cover the process.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote