Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Dvla

Views : 1016

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 12th, 2020, 09:54   #11
3rdPillar
XC60 Owner

Default Cherished Number Retention

I sent my documents to retain my cherished registration in April. Received nothing and all the 0300 numbers advertised for DVLA registrations have a message saying the phone lines are not operational due to COVID. So currently no idea what’s going on.
V5 is clearly a priority over Registration retention and rightly so, but I do feel the messages about going back to work are not getting through in govt departments and local authorities. added the bit about local authorities as my better half works for them, she is in work every day, many departments working from home and will be till at least 2021 on full pay, strange or maybe not they don’t provide home contact details and don’t engage on new issues and reply to emails sent over the period of a few weeks all on one day within a few hours. She notices also when they are called into the office for something that can’t be done remotely, then they don’t bring their laptops etc in so spend the rest of the day doing ‘nothing’ of value

I now think there is a lot of work shy people under weak management taking advantage of the current situation with COVID and BLM and feel they are untouchable.

Time to get back to work.
Old Jul 12th, 2020, 11:00   #12
Cull06
Master Member

The problem for the DVLA is you have a massive organisation where they are already packed into the offices like sardines.

2m distancing means that far less than half can fit in. Obviously that’s going to create issues and I’m pretty certain that an order for 5,500 laptops right now is going to be difficult to fulfil.

If they thrown them all back into work and this virus goes through them like wildfire then no ones going back to back them up. Certainly no one here.

Easy for the armchair chat warriors to slag them off under the ‘all civil servants are workshy’ narrative from behind a computer screen though I guess.
Cull06 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cull06 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 12th, 2020, 14:47   #13
Ian21401
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cull06 View Post
The problem for the DVLA is you have a massive organisation where they are already packed into the offices like sardines.

2m distancing means that far less than half can fit in. Obviously that’s going to create issues and I’m pretty certain that an order for 5,500 laptops right now is going to be difficult to fulfil.

If they thrown them all back into work and this virus goes through them like wildfire then no ones going back to back them up. Certainly no one here.

Easy for the armchair chat warriors to slag them off under the ‘all civil servants are workshy’ narrative from behind a computer screen though I guess.
In defence of the lowly Civil Service employee.
Prior to Covid-19 the normal Civil Service office, of whichever department, was packed with staff within a few feet of each other and there was a lot of “hot desking” as there weren’t enough desks for each member of staff to have their own desk and kit. I know as I used to be one of them before I retired. Contact with my previous colleagues indicates that many of them are now expected to work from home but some are still required to work at an office and their is little expectation of them returning to normal working before sometime next year. Prior to the present situation staffing levels were being reduced and the workload was ever increasing. Most of them are doing their very best in difficult circumstances. Now they are desperately recruiting temporary staff to cover the extra work, but of course, they are yet to be trained.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 12th, 2020, 15:13   #14
martin 56

I Recently had to contact DVLC to try to tax my car as the V5 has been delayed, I used the online chat, explained to an advisor that the phone lines were not open and I was a key worker, and an advisor phoned me back, asked me to conferm my vin number, and took the money off me via my card there and then, to tax the car for 6 months, at the moment that's all they can do, they can't set up Direct Debits over the phone , but at least I was able to get my car taxed.
martin 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2020, 19:26   #15
Ian21401
Premier Member

It is often the case where the person dealing with your query appreciates your situation and knows what “should” be done to resolve the issue, but, is unable to do so due to the “system” or some “directive” from on high.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 7th, 2020, 12:47   #16
mrc1501
Master Member

Absolute shower of ****.......to be blunt. Tried to remove private plate online but had to make a paper application. Ok, not the end of the world. Application took 7 and 1/2 weeks to process. Again not normally an issue BUT I could not get a refund for my car that I returned 9 weeks ago to the dealer because Doves Gatwick was no V5 no refund........
Called the DVLA call centre which offered no advice or help whatsoever. Apparently my application was sat in a pile of other applications and would be processed eventually. Not very helpful when you have no car nor the money to buy another.

My previous car. Happy days......
V70R 1997 Gone
V70 XC 2.4 T AWD 2002 Gone
2013 XC60 R design Lux Nav 2.4 D4 AWD Polestar optimised in Rebel Blue Gone
mrc1501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2020, 04:58   #17
TheLeeds

A mate of mine bought a classic car in March, a few days before the restriction on movement legislation came in. The seller had left the whole V5 in the car, so he sent it off when he bought the car. He also went into a post office and taxed it for 6 months using the green slip, and money, because the car had only just hit the 40 years of age exemption and hadn't been tax free before. The chap in the post office told him he'd get the money back once DVLA had processed the paperwork. In May I messaged DVLA on his behalf via facebook, and to their credit, someone did eventually reply and say they were doing their best, but it would take longer than normal. They also said the tax refund would happen eventually.

Anyway, fast forward to July and they only issued the new V5 in his name on the 9th July. I notice from an online vehicle inquiry the tax now runs to 1 July 21, so I guess they've updated the records and hopefully sent him a refund cheque (can't ask as he's on holiday now).