Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

760 GLE Rear Axle Oil Check/Replace.

Views : 1432

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 16th, 2020, 15:55   #21
griston64
Premier Member

I was looking at 706 in the 740/760 catalogue https://www.gcp.se/en/catalogues/model/740-760-en/
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 16th, 2020, 17:03   #22
diccapilly
VOC Member

Hello Dave,

Yes, I was confused about the oil filter and oil sump plug washer but I’m ok now.

I see what you mean by the self sealing tapered bolt, one less washer to have to consider.

Headings:-

Page 719 - Rear Axle Limited Slip Differential 1990.
Page 711 - Rear Axle Exc Anti-Spin 1988.

Thanks

Steve
diccapilly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to diccapilly For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 16th, 2020, 17:48   #23
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diccapilly View Post
Hello Dave,

Yes, I was confused about the oil filter and oil sump plug washer but I’m ok now.

I see what you mean by the self sealing tapered bolt, one less washer to have to consider.

Headings:-

Page 719 - Rear Axle Limited Slip Differential 1990.
Page 711 - Rear Axle Exc Anti-Spin 1988.

Thanks

Steve
It might be one washer less to consider but you have to ensure the threads on both the plug and the diff cover are scrupulously clean - any grit will cause a leak!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 17th, 2020, 00:52   #24
lynns hubby
Master Member

PTFE (plumber's tape) applied to the CLEANED thread will give peace of mind.
lynns hubby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lynns hubby For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 17th, 2020, 01:41   #25
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynns hubby View Post
PTFE (plumber's tape) applied to the CLEANED thread will give peace of mind.
Sorry but i have to disagree with you there for two reasons. First is my experience of it being used in oily environments - the oil tends to cause it to decompose after a period of time and secondly, a listed "property" of PTFE to "creep" which could cause the tapered plug to become loose.

Both could cause potentially catastrophic results. I've also seen PTFE used to seal the ECUs CTS to prevent a leak - the CTS doesn't have a tapered thread but a tapered seat to seal it. Removing the tape and cleaning the area and the sensor restored normal operation of the engine (and economy!) and stopped the leak too!

There is another point that's kind of obvious and that is that the tapered threads are designed to seal as long as they are unobstructed (i.e. clean) and without any products on. The only thing i might consider using is something like Loctite 243 on the area of the thread where it actually seals, usually about halfway along - that would prevent the plug coming out accidentally but as i've already explained, if it's properly clean and tightened sufficiently, it will seal by itself.

Have another look at the pic i posted further up the thread of my drain and filler plugs :

The filler plug is on the right, it's fairly plain to see from the witness marks how far it goes in before going tight and sealing, about 4 threads in. If i was to use a thread locking compound, i would go round the plug on the 3rd thread to the 4th, making a single ring of compound - a complete ring, slightly overlapping perhaps but no more and definitely none on the "lead-in" threads to avoid getting any in the diff.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 18th, 2020, 01:03   #26
lynns hubby
Master Member

[QUOTE=Laird Scooby;2656783]Sorry but i have to disagree with you there for two reasons. First is my experience of it being used in oily environments - the oil tends to cause it to decompose after a period of time and secondly, a listed "property" of PTFE to "creep" which could cause the tapered plug to become loose.

Well I have to disagree here on both your counts. PTFE tape, up until fairly recently was used exclusively on various instrument fittings etc in the petrochemical and oil and gas industry both on and offshore to seal threads on tapered fittings, NPT, BSP etc. In most cases these fittings are subject to various chemicals and most certainly various oils etc at pressures up to and sometimes beyond 3000 PSI.
The primary reason for using the tape on fittings is that the fittings are tapered but usually made from 316 stainless steel or various molys and this has a habit of picking up or galling when attempting to unscrew. The PTFE tape is used to coat the threads to prevent this happening.
These fittings NEVER become loose if tightened correctly.
I do however agree that the design of the thread is that seal should be achievable by the "taper" of the thread.
lynns hubby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lynns hubby For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 18th, 2020, 07:53   #27
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

[QUOTE=lynns hubby;2657123]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Sorry but i have to disagree with you there for two reasons. First is my experience of it being used in oily environments - the oil tends to cause it to decompose after a period of time and secondly, a listed "property" of PTFE to "creep" which could cause the tapered plug to become loose.

Well I have to disagree here on both your counts. PTFE tape, up until fairly recently was used exclusively on various instrument fittings etc in the petrochemical and oil and gas industry both on and offshore to seal threads on tapered fittings, NPT, BSP etc. In most cases these fittings are subject to various chemicals and most certainly various oils etc at pressures up to and sometimes beyond 3000 PSI.
The primary reason for using the tape on fittings is that the fittings are tapered but usually made from 316 stainless steel or various molys and this has a habit of picking up or galling when attempting to unscrew. The PTFE tape is used to coat the threads to prevent this happening.
These fittings NEVER become loose if tightened correctly.
I do however agree that the design of the thread is that seal should be achievable by the "taper" of the thread.
It seems we have slightly different experiences then, a lot of the time when i saw it disintegrated it was also in close proximity to a lot of heat, ~300C which is above the 260C point where the PTFE starts to break down. That said about 15-20 years back when i used to go into a refinery fairly frequently, they wouldn't let PTFE be used. The area i was most concerned with didn't need PTFE tape anyway so wasn't a major problem for me. I've also worked on systems that recover methane from landfill gas systems and again, it was a no-no there at the time.

That said, the two points we definitely agree on are the two most important here - the fittings don't become loose if tightened correctly and the seal should happen due to the intrinsic design of the thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: