Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Torque Steer on T8

Views : 4979

Replies : 47

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 30th, 2020, 17:19   #11
isleaiw
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew321 View Post
That’s very interesting. I would have expected that to make it worse but strange how it didn’t. I quite fancy the idea of polestar and they’re currently running a 14 day trial so may give it a go.
That presumably then would mean that a Polestar Engineered car didnt suffer from it, maybe take one of those for a test drive to see...?
isleaiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2020, 17:39   #12
Cull06
Master Member

I have a polestar engineered and it will definitely torque steer! Not to the point that I’ve been overly concerned as yet though
Cull06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2020, 20:23   #13
isleaiw
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cull06 View Post
I have a polestar engineered and it will definitely torque steer! Not to the point that I’ve been overly concerned as yet though
That;s not great, the point of AWD is to avoid that.....

Back to square one then....
Old Jul 31st, 2020, 08:39   #14
stevew321

I’m now in a bit of a dilemma. It didn’t bother me until I had that particular experience coming off the roundabout where I had to actively correct the steering. When I first test drove, I tried accelerating hard on a dual carriageway and didn’t notice anything. I doubt the eAWD system can ever sort this as there’s no connection between the two axles and its 86bhp through the back and 303bhp through the front. Looks like I’ll have to save up for BMW 45e then....
stevew321 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stevew321 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 31st, 2020, 11:36   #15
isleaiw
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew321 View Post
I’m now in a bit of a dilemma. It didn’t bother me until I had that particular experience coming off the roundabout where I had to actively correct the steering. When I first test drove, I tried accelerating hard on a dual carriageway and didn’t notice anything. I doubt the eAWD system can ever sort this as there’s no connection between the two axles and its 86bhp through the back and 303bhp through the front. Looks like I’ll have to save up for BMW 45e then....
Think I am just going to pass on the e bit as mine isnt a company car, no BIK benefits so may as well go back to looking at decent powered petrol or diesel equivalents...
Old Jul 31st, 2020, 13:08   #16
Quonker

I haven't noticed any torque steer on my S90 T8 to be fair and I do drive it quite spiritedly on occasion
Old Jul 31st, 2020, 13:13   #17
V8XCV

I wonder if it was the traction control kicking in and braking a slipping wheel which could cause it to lurch, my old XC90 V8 used to be a pest at junctions if you spun the wheels and would lurch about, I used to disable it before pulling onto the dual carriageway from a T junction or it would be horrible.

I wonder if the Polestar reduces the aggressiveness of the traction control? To allow a more sporty drive?

V70 T5 (1996)
V70 P2 D5 EUIII (2002)
XC90 V8 4.4 (2007)
V8XCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2020, 14:16   #18
stevew321

I’l don’t detect wheel slip or notice any traction control coming on. I will however turn it off and see what happens. At faster speeds on better roads you can just feel a slight occasional pulling at the wheel. Maybe different cars with different suspensions cope better. I’m tempted to try the polestar upgrade as it’s currently being offered with a 14 day trial period. I’m probably more aware having come from a BMW 435d xDrive in which you could mash the accelerator in almost any situation with zero worries. The irony is that I only got rid of that car as offset pedals (due to the longitudinal engine) give me back ache and I’d decided to prioritise comfort on my commute, which I will probably never do again to the same degree now my colleagues and I are working from home for the foreseeable future.
stevew321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2020, 11:35   #19
Milliner

I've had my T8 for nearly 4 years, and have signed up for another 12 months given my low miles (and a new model in the pipeline...) and frankly, because I can't find anything to compete for my needs.

I must admit over all this time I have found torque steer is noticeable when you put your foot down.However, I find that you really do need to choose your driving mode, or custom your own.

Hybrid mode is fine for gentle commutes but when you put your foot down, the two drive chains (especially the autobox) get in a muddle on mine and the ICE dominates with a sudden great slug of power/torque. It's not refined. In power mode, everything is much better in my experience for some spirited driving and torque steer is much reduced. Handling, power delivery delivery and response is much more 'sorted', as you'd expect.

Given I drive 7 miles to my office at a max 40mph though I use Pure a lot of the time too and I love it. Like driving a cloud.
Old Aug 1st, 2020, 18:57   #20
Roosterb

So the T8 doesn’t have a Haldex unit figuring this out?