Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo PV444 wins 1957 Petit Lemans at Lime Rock!

Views : 85340

Replies : 281

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 31st, 2019, 04:14   #161
blueosprey90
Master Member

I'm stuck on the Volvo for at least another week. What started out as a simple project to replace a ratty door card, has morphed into a complete stabilization with new door and window seals all around and some rattle can paint that doesn't quite match.

Photos from phase 1 above and I was doodling along with the window felts.

But then I realized I couldn't replace the door seals without removing the door.

Which led to some more rust and paint.

I was going to buy a new Volvo mirror, as I had two holes in the door. But now I think I'm going to get some Hagan Fattie Hot Rod mirrors instead with a noodle arm.

http://www.yogisinc.com/index.cfm/pa...d/prd13933.htm
blueosprey90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2019, 14:46   #162
blueosprey90
Master Member

I'm still plugging away at the weatherstriping on the driver's side door. Have the window felts pretty much done and was working on the outside door.

A before photo showing the condition of the bottom of the door.

And photos as the work progressed.

To get the weatherstriping into the channel, especially at the corners or the curves, I use a bit of vegetable oil for lubrication and had to stretch the rubber a bit. I used the yellow plastic squeegees to force the weatherstrip into the channel. In one section about 18 inched long on the lower front of the door, the channel was rusted out on one side. I used weatherstip adhesive to hold in place and it seems to have worked out well.

I hope to hang the door tonight.
Old Nov 6th, 2019, 15:39   #163
blueosprey90
Master Member

My project was moving along nicely - until it wasn't!

I hung the driver's side door last night but I could not get it to close due to the resistance of the weather striping.

This is part 634735 purchased from VP-Autoparts.

The new weather striping is on the left. Note how it leans to the right. I installed with the left side (taller) to the outside door flange, which is the way my old weather strip had been installed. It really seems to bind at the hinge side and doesn't come close to latching on the latch side. I have the door clamped closed as much as possible to see if I can squeeze the weather strip, but I'm not expecting positive results.

I think I may end up pulling the weather strip and try installing in the reverse direction.

I'm pretty depressed as I was looking to take the car to a vintage event this Saturday.
Old Jan 25th, 2020, 00:27   #164
blueosprey90
Master Member

Good Grief! Has it been this long since I last posted?

I think I solved the weather striping issue that prevented the doors - well, the driver's door - from closing. I completely cut off the short inner leg of the weather strip. I think it will work, but the door is still on my temporary work bench and hasn't been re-fitted.

I've been procrastinating on my door card for the driver's door.

I ordered up some 1/8" ABS plastic for the door cards. Since the plastic is opaque, forming the door card was tricky - especially since the original door card was in rough shape. But I overcame those issues and have the holes for the arm rest and the handles in relatively proper order.

Initially I was going to just screw the door card onto the door. But I've hesitated and am trying to use the Volvo panel fasteners - Part 95290, Fastener door panel PV/Duett 51-/Amazon/P1800 at VP Auto Parts.

These fit into a blind hole. In other words, the hole in the door is offset from the hole in the panel, by maybe 1/8" to 3/16".

I made a tool to allow me to more or less locate the holes in the panel with the blind hole in the door. But there are 24 of these and setting each panel fastener in exactly the right location looks very tricky.

I don't know if I should align all of these up before attaching foam and material or try to install them on the panel after the foam and material are in place. For foam, I was going to use 1/4" Hushmat which has that very, very sticky backing.

Does anyone know what the factory sequence of installation might have been?
Old Jan 25th, 2020, 03:16   #165
Derek UK
VOC Member

The holes in the original door cards are larger than the holes in the doors. The Volvo clip hooks into the hole in such a way that it can move around to pick up the hole in the door which makes it self aligning. At least it should do so if this doesn't happen with your home made cards I would guess that the holes in the card are slightly out of place. It normally takes a few tries when fitting new clips to get them to line up and you just have to go round them one at a time giving them a nudge as required A plastic trim tool or a blunt round end table knife can help. They will all tend to be orientated differently. With luck, if you have to remove the card the clips stay in approximately the same position which makes the refitting of the cards much easier.
Derek UK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2020, 18:51   #166
blueosprey90
Master Member

Wink

This is hardly big news, but I did go out and start the Volvo yesterday.

It's been sitting for several months. The driver's side door remains in my basement.

That 6 volt battery had a bit of trouble cranking over the engine even though it had warmed up to close to 50 degrees.

In the next weeks, I need to move the Volvo into deeper storage while bringing my MGA home for an engine and transmission swap.
Old Mar 11th, 2020, 13:51   #167
blueosprey90
Master Member

On Monday night, I reinstalled the driver's side door and then a new Hagan's Fattie sideview mirror. No door card just yet and no handles, although I may install the handles temporarily. Even though I cut off all around the right short right wing of the rubber trim shown in photo #163, the door is still very tight to close. But without cutting that part off, it was impossible to close.

Last night, I tightened up the rear boot lid. I had previously repaired and re-installed the self locking boot hinge (post #158) and then spent some time trying to adjust the boot lid to see if I could improve the gaps. Somewhat successful. Later in the summer, I will need to repair rust and chips in the area of the seal and on the underside of the boot lid and try to paint to improve condition and appearance. It's pretty decrepit under the boot lid with 60 years of dirt and dust and abuse apparent.

This morning it is in the 50s and most of the salt used on the winter highways seems to have washed away. I'll try to start it up and drive to work.
Old Mar 26th, 2020, 14:20   #168
blueosprey90
Master Member

The spousal unit asked me to take her for another ride in the old 4 seater.

"Like last weekend", she says, sweetly.

"Like last weekend?", I ask, incredulously.

… "Don't you remember that we stopped for gas and were trapped because we couldn't open either door from the inside?"

"Oh that", she scoffs, "don't worry". "I'll be taking anti anxiety medication."

"OK, sure", I say.

So I have a few days to puzzle out how her medication will help me fix the door problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to blueosprey90 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 5th, 2020, 04:31   #169
blueosprey90
Master Member

Got the my race engine started this morning (hybrid MGA/MGB ghost main engine). So to celebrate, took the spousal unit out in the old 4 seater. Got a lot of thumbs up and friendly waves.

Ran strong. About 70 miles. Got her up to about 65 mph by speedometer, but I think that's light because of the 4.11 differential.

A roar and a lot of rattles, and she's no rally car. Brakes functional, but keep the eyes up as they don't inspire the greatest confidence.
Old Apr 5th, 2020, 15:18   #170
Derek UK
VOC Member

Unhappy

Ct 5276 cases 165 deaths 86 in Fairfield. You're #13 on the list of states.
Be wise, stay inside. Well inside your garage anyway.
Derek UK is online now   Reply With Quote