Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What did you do to your x40 today???

Views : 1068722

Replies : 12937

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 6th, 2020, 22:54   #12871
clarkey1984
Premier Member

And she's back!

The steering is horrible, I think I may have miscounted my threads when I refitted the track rod end to do the boot so the tracking is out, the top mounts are clonking away, I guess that's what 18 months parked up does, I think the shocks on the front aren't great either, again for the same reason, it's just really bouncy.

The lazy fuel pump is even more lazy that it was before I parked it up in 2018, it's ok in 1st and second, but if I hit boost for any length of time in 3rd she pops and farts and the EML flashes, plus you get that lean sort of smell if that makes sense.

Provided it will fit I'll put the SE sender and pump in for now, I know it's lower spec than the proper T4 one but it's got to be better than one that's not working properly, and also the nankang tyres on the front are not good, they were ok on the SE as it basically doesn't really make any power, but this is squirming all over the road on them.

I'll be interchanging between the full set of 17s and the 2 16s I've kept from the SE over the next little while as I wish to blast and repaint the 17s, I'll uhp hydroblast 2 at a time ( the benefits of working for a blasting company) the nankangs will be ok on the back but the front needs either rainsport 3s, Toyo t1rs, or Goodyear's I reckon.

I also discovered that this car has a 2 inch exhaust system on it for some reason, I'm sure the T4 system is meant to be bigger than this, it's at least 2 and a half inch as it comes from the turbo, then once it joins the stainless system it drops down to 2 inch, that must be hampering performance as well, looks like a new system is on the cards once I can afford it.

But on the positive side, it's taxed MOTd and insured, most of the leather interior is in, the stereo is in (I've missed that JL audio sub in the boot) plus adding the catalytic converter appears to have made things a bit more torquey lower down the rev range, as before the new engine it only really used to wake up at around 3000 rpm, now if I put my foot down its ready to go at around 2500, plus I haven't got a crap idle or randomly stalling at junctions anymore either.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200306_205107.jpg (222.0 KB, 7 views)
Old Mar 7th, 2020, 14:04   #12872
bimmer49
Always listen & learn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer49 View Post
Well it's the annual test time, ITV.
The SRS light has been on for ages (it usually is when someone sits in the passenger seat) but my Foxwell 630 will turn it out. WRONG! Same old Intermittent fault with SIPS bag connection. PLUS SRS unit permanent fault! Oh no! Tried several times to erase the codes but no good.
Replaced it with the old unit, only the Intermittent fault showing but it will not put it out!
Checked connections to no avail.
Taking it for test to see if it fails on anything else in the morning. It's difficult to get tests here at the moment but a retest is no problem.

OK ladies and gents: Car failed on Air bag light illumination and accelerated revs (3000rpm) high CO level (60), I also noted a fluctuating lambda figure 1.010 to 1.023.

I checked continuity from the SIPS (B post) and seat (underneath seat) airbag plugs back to the SRS plug. All OK. I tried to erase codes with the SRS module resting in the middle. I noticed the tick tick tick had gone from the red flashy light until I earthed out the STS module. I cleaned the mount bolt holes and refitted the unit. I then scanned the unit and 2 faults as per usual listed. I did a quick erase and hey presto they were gone! I did it 3 times and even sat in the passenger seat bouncing up and down, the light stayed OFF!

Now comes the tecky question about the emissions. I'm none to good on petrols

On "Live" data I see that the Oxygen sensor output voltage on Bank 1 Sender 1 is ranging from 0.260 - 1.275V where as Bank 1 Sensor 2 is a steady 1.275V. Is this the cause of my fluctuating CO and Lambda emissions?

Now I haven't cleaned the MAF. Would it be a contributory factor?

Any guidance helpful. I will repost this on the "Electrics" thread too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bimmer49 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 7th, 2020, 17:35   #12873
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer49 View Post
OK ladies and gents: Car failed on Air bag light illumination and accelerated revs (3000rpm) high CO level (60), I also noted a fluctuating lambda figure 1.010 to 1.023.

I checked continuity from the SIPS (B post) and seat (underneath seat) airbag plugs back to the SRS plug. All OK. I tried to erase codes with the SRS module resting in the middle. I noticed the tick tick tick had gone from the red flashy light until I earthed out the STS module. I cleaned the mount bolt holes and refitted the unit. I then scanned the unit and 2 faults as per usual listed. I did a quick erase and hey presto they were gone! I did it 3 times and even sat in the passenger seat bouncing up and down, the light stayed OFF!

Now comes the tecky question about the emissions. I'm none to good on petrols

On "Live" data I see that the Oxygen sensor output voltage on Bank 1 Sender 1 is ranging from 0.260 - 1.275V where as Bank 1 Sensor 2 is a steady 1.275V. Is this the cause of my fluctuating CO and Lambda emissions?

Now I haven't cleaned the MAF. Would it be a contributory factor?

Any guidance helpful. I will repost this on the "Electrics" thread too.
What engine is yours? As I do have a known good MAF on the 52 reg 2.0 non turbo petrol which will be going to car heaven soon, which you're welcome to for the cost of postage.
Old Mar 7th, 2020, 19:25   #12874
bimmer49
Always listen & learn!

Thanks clarkey1984: I would think a bit of brake cleaner would do the job. Pointing towards Lambda sensor and I will re diagnose the live data.
Old Mar 26th, 2020, 19:33   #12875
clarkey1984
Premier Member

As everyone else is pretty much, no work for me, it's a lockdown, so what better time to do car things.

First off I popped the centre panel around the gearstick out because the finish from last time was less than satisfactory, sanded back, primed, fine sanded, hit with a very light coat of Matt black then a couple of hours drying, a light sand for any minor imperfections and then 3 wet coats of the black gloss, it looks absolutely spot on, although I'm sure last time it looked good initially but for some reason stayed slightly tacky and never fully cured properly, the minor marks where the gear gaitor clips in further reinforcing that, ahh well, we'll see what happens, if it hasn't gone off rock solid in a few days I'll soak it in thinners and start again.

While I was holding the can of Matt black I thought hmm, that horrible dirty grey gear gaiter has always annoyed me, looks out of place against the black surround, so hot soapy water, washed and dried, and an experimental light coat of black, seems ok, so 2 more light coats, it's come out really well, if only I could do the wood look part of the steering wheel without removing it, that's far too much hassle though so I'll have to live with it, that and the gear knob are the only woody looking bits left now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200326_163559_copy_1459x1094.jpg (235.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200326_171526_copy_1459x1094.jpg (362.3 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200326_192044_copy_1459x1094.jpg (241.2 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by clarkey1984; Mar 26th, 2020 at 19:37.
clarkey1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2020, 17:21   #12876
P156KWJ

My offside mirror lens wasn't as fast as the rest of the car a couple of nights ago when I pulled away from some lights, and the unmistakable sound of smashing glass wasn't the most welcome of sounds particularly at the minute whilst items are more difficult to obtain.

Luckily Euro Car Parts is open for key workers to click and collect with some rather serious distancing measures in place, and I've fitted it at work today. Decided to take the nearside mirror lens off as well as the adhesive backing was also starting to fail on that side, so rescued it before it fell off as well.
P156KWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2020, 18:29   #12877
LTEcactus

I gave the interior a thorough clean, took the seats out and gave the carpets a shampoo.
Old Mar 27th, 2020, 19:29   #12878
bobthecabbage
Premier Member

Due to the MOT extension it looks like my V40 will be on the road for another 6 months.

However being a responsible type of person I will be doing my own safety inspection in place of the MOT that was due on the 4th of April!

Handy really as the garage I was going to buy a replacement vehicle from has shut!

I may spend the money saved on a new ebike to fulfil my exercise allowance during the coming months.
Old Mar 28th, 2020, 07:50   #12879
clarkey1984
Premier Member

It's all back in, I also discovered that the blue led bulb I'd fitted in the cig lighter socket had packed up so I fitted one of the spare ones I had, which lasted about 15 minutes before flickering and dying too, I guess the pack of 10 bulbs cost like 3 quid for a reason, and yes, before anyone else says it, that worn away gear knob annoys the hell out of me too haha.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200327_144210_copy_1536x2048.jpg (254.9 KB, 22 views)
Old Mar 28th, 2020, 08:48   #12880
colnet

Hello clarkey1984
Regarding the gear knob, you can remove that wood effect plate from the knob using solvent, its only stuck on, but you have to be careful and take it slow, once off you can do what you want ie spray, vinyl wrap etc, but obviously you will lose the gear position marks, then just stick it back. Cheers
colnet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bacont4, bananahammock, mp3, mp3s, rubbisht4s, uttergarbage