Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Intermittent Camera fault on S90

Views : 1750

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 24th, 2020, 13:12   #1
golfcaddy

Default Intermittent Camera fault on S90

Had my MY2020 S90 since end of Jan.

Over the last few weeks there have been a number of occasions where the parking cameras don't work. I have the 360 cameras.

Engage reverse and the main console screen doesn't switch on the cameras. If you swipe to the right to select the camera function manually, there is a yellow exclamation mark against it and if you click it says "camera requires service".

I suspect this may be a software fault since no cameras work when it does this. If you switch off the ignition, leave the car and let it shut down and then go back in, often the cameras will then work fine.

Of course I can't take it in now that the dealers are closed, and although this is somewhat of a minor problem, it's frustrating that it keeps happening (I would say half the time it's needed).

Has anyone else seen this?
Old Mar 24th, 2020, 13:48   #2
Computastar

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfcaddy View Post
Had my MY2020 S90 since end of Jan.

Over the last few weeks there have been a number of occasions where the parking cameras don't work. I have the 360 cameras.

Engage reverse and the main console screen doesn't switch on the cameras. If you swipe to the right to select the camera function manually, there is a yellow exclamation mark against it and if you click it says "camera requires service".

I suspect this may be a software fault since no cameras work when it does this. If you switch off the ignition, leave the car and let it shut down and then go back in, often the cameras will then work fine.

Of course I can't take it in now that the dealers are closed, and although this is somewhat of a minor problem, it's frustrating that it keeps happening (I would say half the time it's needed).

Has anyone else seen this?
golfcaddy welcome to Volvo ownership, this is one of the many quirks you may experience. with the nonSensus system, sorry its not much help, but that's the reality of the product
Computastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2020, 14:44   #3
Wizzpop
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computastar View Post
golfcaddy welcome to Volvo ownership, this is one of the many quirks you may experience. with the nonSensus system, sorry its not much help, but that's the reality of the product
Computastar, do you work for VAG? You seem very anti Volvo in all your posts. All manufacturers have problems with their cars. Notably Mercedes by all accounts.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wizzpop For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 25th, 2020, 14:47   #4
Jackysi

Quote:
I have zero issues with my car and I'm super picky person... I had way more issues with my Skoda Superb.
Old Mar 26th, 2020, 13:43   #5
Computastar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzpop View Post
Computastar, do you work for VAG? You seem very anti Volvo in all your posts. All manufacturers have problems with their cars. Notably Mercedes by all accounts.
Like I say I dont have any particular allegiance to any manufacture, but when I pay £62k for a car I expect higher standards than Volvo are producing, especially when fitted with a poxy 4-pot engine, and I know you fan boys are going to get your knickers in a twist over this, but Volvo still do have an image problem, when I got the Volvo, I had many a comment of 'didnt put you down as a Volvo guy' after having a number of high end SUV, Volvo aren't classed in that group and therefore need to step and show they are better than Mercedes, BMW, Audi and RR
Old Mar 26th, 2020, 14:15   #6
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Like I say I dont have any particular allegiance to any manufacture, but when I pay £62k for a car I expect higher standards than Volvo are producing, especially when fitted with a poxy 4-pot engine, and I know you fan boys are going to get your knickers in a twist over this, but Volvo still do have an image problem, when I got the Volvo, I had many a comment of 'didnt put you down as a Volvo guy' after having a number of high end SUV, Volvo aren't classed in that group and therefore need to step and show they are better than Mercedes, BMW, Audi and RR
So why did you buy a Volvo then.....??
Old Mar 26th, 2020, 14:37   #7
Computastar

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonjedrake View Post
So why did you buy a Volvo then.....??
As I said most bang for my buck at the time, i.e. heavily discounted, which wont be happening next time, so better alternatives
The Following User Says Thank You to Computastar For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 29th, 2020, 08:52   #8
golfcaddy

Well, I discovered something interesting a couple of days ago. The Volvo OnCall app was showing the car as running and the last few journeys were not recorded.

I went into the start/stop section of the app and despite it showing as running (which of course it wasn't) I told it to stop. It thought about it for a while then told me there was an issue with stopping the engine (expected). But it did now show the correct status (stopped) and also my most recent journeys.

Went out to the shops and the camera seemed to be working. OnCall app now showing the correct information.

Probably a coincidence and I can't properly test in the current situation, but hoping my next few shopping trips are successful.
Old Mar 29th, 2020, 09:41   #9
James77

Quote:
Don't agree with this at all. Yes Volvo have an image issue and I think generally are not seen as tier 1 hence there's more standard kit. However, the build quality is Great, refinement is great and the tech (brain farts) aside I'd also great. I'm not volvo through and through at all but the design and package is currently far better than so called tier 1 brands.

Every manufacturer experiences similar software glitches this is a fast moving environment that affects Ze Germans too but their software glitches are wrapped in a very unattractive exterior.

I don't buy a car simply on value for money.
Old Mar 29th, 2020, 12:29   #10
Moonlanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by James77 View Post
Don't agree with this at all. Yes Volvo have an image issue and I think generally are not seen as tier 1 hence there's more standard kit. However, the build quality is Great, refinement is great and the tech (brain farts) aside I'd also great. I'm not volvo through and through at all but the design and package is currently far better than so called tier 1 brands.

Every manufacturer experiences similar software glitches this is a fast moving environment that affects Ze Germans too but their software glitches are wrapped in a very unattractive exterior.

I don't buy a car simply on value for money.
I actually chose my car (my first Volvo after years of Audi) because of the fact it has an image issue and there is the 'didn't put you down as a Volvo driver' mentality. I felt some of the other options I was looking at (Audi SQ7 and RR) for the spec I was looking at you might as well have painted 'steal me' across the side. Yes I had to go to the top spec to get what I wanted in the car, but that was personal choice and the cost was still less than both the SQ7 and the RR. Only been able to drive 15 miles so far, but I am convinced I made the correct choice.