Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ICM Infotainment Stereo packed up?

Views : 28842

Replies : 77

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 21:40   #11
Beavis
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal master tech View Post
We use dice in our work with panasonic tough books don't ask what software we run that's not my department am afraid?! I have mentioned on other threads that if you pay for a diag and they tell you it is an icm then your option is to replace it at considerable cost?! Or turn the most security off and try a second hand icm which should work. Your car has a full house on the most system is it an executive by any chance?! The problem is it could be any off these units I reckon if you approach your local dealer for £40-50 they should be able to tell you the fault quickly or you do it yourself but it could take a while?!
Ok, big thanks once again for taking time to explain.

Yes, its an Executive 2006 model and since we've had it, touch wood no other problem.

I'll get the diag done, and if its the ICM will then decide whether to replace/repair/2nd hand.

* Can the MOST security be turned off using the dice software, or does it need a software download? (i'm thinking if i was going to get the Dice/Vida from ebay but it cannot download any software from volvo).

* (i won't hold you to it), but do you know if i installed a second hand unit once MOST disabled, if new software would be needed on the ICM to make it work in my car, and if the full premium sound system (full dolby/rear seat audio controls etc) would still work or would it be downgraded to the "lesser" audio spec if the icm i got was the lesser spec unit?

* (sorry, finally) my car has been remapped by MTE, and i've previously been advised to steer clear of dealer due to the mod. do you think i could screw up volvo dealer software, or screw the car up when its connected? :S

i'm booked in for Saturday morning, but was hoping to know as much as i can before being spanked with a blooming great estimate for repair.

once again, thank you so much for the time and knowledge.
cheers

Stuart
Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 21:49   #12
Unreal master tech

The most can only be turned off by software. The icm will not make any difference to sound system as it's the amp,speakers and the subwoofer that make up what Volvo term high performance sound system.Am not sure about your re map being effected by a Volvo download I don't think it should though as the software won't effect the ECM settings but I could not say that for 100%. To be honest from a dealers point we don't make the price of the part it's Volvo but it's fair say even I find the price crazy but I know that even BMW,merc use this system and suffer the same faults which I know is not right just saying all cars suffer?!

Last edited by Unreal master tech; Jan 22nd, 2012 at 21:54.
Unreal master tech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Unreal master tech For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 21:50   #13
Beavis
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal master tech View Post
The most can only be turned off by software. The icm will not make any difference to sound system as it's the amp,speakers and the subwoofer that make up what Volvo term high performance sound system.
thanks once again. i'll let you know how i get on.
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 18:06   #14
Beavis
Premier Member

how do i tell if my ICM has the Matrix or Numeric display....

a photo is here, or towards the end of this video it shows the display better. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1FA4...0bAUAAAAAAAHAA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (221.1 KB, 45 views)
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 21:40   #15
andreasb

The one in the picture is matrix. All premium systems have matrix display.
Old Jan 29th, 2012, 21:34   #16
Beavis
Premier Member

I complained to Volvo UK about the failure of the ICM after 5 years 10 months. They replied that i need to get the codes read if i want some "goodwill".

Anyway, got them read yesterday, and the codes were ICM-DC01 + 02 "DTC is found active".

(the ECM was the remap).

They are due to price the job up and confirm price tomorrow.

I expect this is the sign that the ICM is definately dead?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_6758.jpg (153.4 KB, 45 views)
Old Feb 1st, 2012, 13:09   #17
t110mas

Hiya StuT4

My XC90 2006 D5 Executive is experiencing the same problems as yours. I have had it diagnosed by vida with dice (2011d) by an independent Volvo up in the Newcastle area and it’s both the ICM and the PHM.

I have also checked fibre optics to some of the modules which I can get to. There are red light signal to all modules except for the fibre optic connecting to the PHM.

Anyway I was considering a fibre optic brace to cancel out the signal or bypassing the phm and hopefully it will get the MOST network back up.

This is my work around as a last resort as paying that large amount of money doesn’t seem quite right considering its music after all.

T110mas
t110mas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to t110mas For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 1st, 2012, 13:32   #18
owenfackrell
Premier Member

I have a fibre optical bypass lead that I can sell on for £15 and this will allow you to bypass each unit to see if that makes any difference. I used it when the sat nav unit failed and this caused the stereo to turn on and off all the time.
owenfackrell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to owenfackrell For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 1st, 2012, 22:21   #19
Beavis
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t110mas View Post
Hiya StuT4

My XC90 2006 D5 Executive is experiencing the same problems as yours. I have had it diagnosed by vida with dice (2011d) by an independent Volvo up in the Newcastle area and it’s both the ICM and the PHM.

I have also checked fibre optics to some of the modules which I can get to. There are red light signal to all modules except for the fibre optic connecting to the PHM.

Anyway I was considering a fibre optic brace to cancel out the signal or bypassing the phm and hopefully it will get the MOST network back up.

This is my work around as a last resort as paying that large amount of money doesn’t seem quite right considering its music after all.

T110mas
Good luck on yours. Mines same model and year. I'm going to attempt to get to the modules at the weekend to test these before booking it in.

Don't know if it helps, but i let rip at Volvo UK....5-6 yr old car; 90k miles blahblah blah, and eventually (2 days/6 emails later) got an offer of £300 of vouchers which arrived today, and my motors only been to the Main Dealer twice in last 3 years. Let me know if you want me to bounce over the correspondence i used and email address.

Stu
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 09:45   #20
t110mas

Thanks stut4

I had my diagnostics done at a indy. Would Volvo care even accept indy reports? I'm not even sure they will cough up either. Seemingly it's a common problem with most Volvo xc90 I'm surprised Volvo did have them recalled. Or have they?

So... Will order brace from mill Volvo and fingers cross it would eliminate the break in the communication with the Phm also on my dashboard I have 'on call service required'. Can't seem to rid off that message. Any thoughts anyone?

I also had a word with Volvo care and they seem to say that most customers who did not renew their 'on call' subscription just lives with message on dashboard.

Cheers
t110mas is offline   Reply With Quote