Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ICM Infotainment Stereo packed up?

Views : 28854

Replies : 77

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 27th, 2013, 15:40   #71
qeivinc

Hi StuT4,

I have been having issues with the main battery on my XC90 dying so I replaced it. But the new battery also died. Seems there is a constant 0.5 Amp draw with the car turned off. As I previously had a faulty integrated telephone I removed that fuse and this stopped the battery from dying.
But also Sat Nav, Entertainment and rear sensors are no longer working.
I suspect that the built in battery in the phone caused the current draw.
Do you think I can bypass the phone so that it does not draw current? I have been told the phone unit costs £800.
thanks
Vin
qeivinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 15:59   #72
Beavis
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qeivinc View Post
Hi StuT4,

I have been having issues with the main battery on my XC90 dying so I replaced it. But the new battery also died. Seems there is a constant 0.5 Amp draw with the car turned off. As I previously had a faulty integrated telephone I removed that fuse and this stopped the battery from dying.
But also Sat Nav, Entertainment and rear sensors are no longer working.
I suspect that the built in battery in the phone caused the current draw.
Do you think I can bypass the phone so that it does not draw current? I have been told the phone unit costs £800.
thanks
Vin
Hi Vin,
I'm not an expert on the current draw, but have played around with the ICM and fibre optic system. I would expect that if you used one of those Dension Opticial Loops, or similar, that it would loop the phone out of the system, and if it was the phone which was faulty should mean the rest of the system works okay. If the phone was not the faulty problem, then just looping it out won't make any difference.

You're risking about £25 for the loop, but could save £100's.

Good luck!
Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2013, 16:02   #73
qeivinc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kidsXC90man View Post
Ok, the loop cable arrived, tested amp, sub woofer and antennae and sat nav and the system did not work still. Removed the head unit and looped out the components. When looping ou the phone unit (at the bottom of the space behind r head unit), the radio and sat nav started working perfectly!

So I guess we have identified the problem is with the phone unit.

Thanks for all the advice.

So now, can I leave the loop in there and replace the head unit - will it fit?! Any advice suggestions about replacing/repairing the phone unit in the space beneath the head unit?

Ben
Hi,
did you happen to notice if there is a battery backup in the phone unit?
thanks
Old May 12th, 2013, 20:57   #74
qeivinc

Finally had a go at looping out the phone, I've had no radio or sat nav for the last month.

It's not easy to get the head unit out but with the help of YouTube I did it.

I looped out the Phm unit but couldn't get the head unit back in. The phone was stopping it. In the end I removed phone also and the head unit fitted back in easily.

Reconnected battery and everything works. Hopefully it was the phone that was running down the battery.

Don't know how anybody gets that unit back in.

One strange thing, I tested the rear sensors and the outside 2 work but not the inside 2. Doesn't make sense that it's related to this.
The Following User Says Thank You to qeivinc For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 18th, 2015, 15:08   #75
Over90

I have the same problem with my 53 plate XC90. Following the instructions on this thread I ordered one of the loop cables, took the infotainment system out of the dash and tried this loop cable in the phone, CD changer, Mini Disk and ICM. I have a red light coming from all of the above but still no radio.
I then connected the loop cable to the AMP, Sat Nav, SUB & Antenna and no red light showing on any of these so a bit stuck on where to go next.

Any idea on what the problem is please?
Over90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2015, 12:23   #76
Beavis
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over90 View Post
I have the same problem with my 53 plate XC90. Following the instructions on this thread I ordered one of the loop cables, took the infotainment system out of the dash and tried this loop cable in the phone, CD changer, Mini Disk and ICM. I have a red light coming from all of the above but still no radio.
I then connected the loop cable to the AMP, Sat Nav, SUB & Antenna and no red light showing on any of these so a bit stuck on where to go next.

Any idea on what the problem is please?
best to work out which way the audio system goes - (i cannot remember myself as it was a few years ago since i had to work mine out)

ie ICM into > cd player into > minidisc > amp > aerial > sub > satnav. it loops around the car then back to the ICM.

i THINK that the amp is the first one in the chain after those in the dash. if so, it might be this which has blown if its not passing any light onwards to the back of the car.

when you put the loop on the cable going to the amp, and then restart the ignition, is there any other light further down the chain in the aerial or sub?

do you know anyone who you might be able to swop their amp for yours just to test?
Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2020, 15:38   #77
mackul1

Angry Volvo Satnav not coming up and radio not working

Hi there I have a Volvo XC90 2011 ,just couple of problems with it the satnav is not coming up centre of the dashboard and also the when I press the power button on the radio it powers up and then the screen just goes blank tried pressing every single button but no luck has anyone come across anything like this before if so what was the problem ,
mackul1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2020, 17:02   #78
mackul1

Default volvo stereo and sativa

hi there I have a Volvo XC90 2011,i have the same problem with it when I turn the stereo on the screen comes on then goes blank after about 2 seconds and just to stir things up the SATNAV is not coming up too can anyone help ,.....Is this both items related if stereo not working the SATNAV will not rise up ?????

Driving me potty
mackul1 is offline   Reply With Quote