Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

High oil level warning

Views : 16662

Replies : 48

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 12th, 2019, 15:54   #41
S5Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaby View Post
The 2019 Belgian manual (and probably other as well) gives the same advice for petrol engines.
UK manual (petrol)

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support...article-filter

The car should be driven on A-roads at speeds in excess of 60 km/h (38 mph) for at least 20 minutes between each refuelling.
Old Sep 12th, 2019, 19:09   #42
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S5Warrior View Post
UK manual (petrol)

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support...article-filter

The car should be driven on A-roads at speeds in excess of 60 km/h (38 mph) for at least 20 minutes between each refuelling.
Ha yes! Direct injection petrol engines. All kinds of problems of their own, potentially, the GPF being one of them. Luckily though, petrol engines tend to have hotter exhausts than diesel and are more likely to successfully regenerate passively. They do need time to do so of course, hence the 20 minute drive time warning.
Bring on the fully electric 'engines'!
Old Sep 26th, 2019, 09:15   #43
Whaty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingtank View Post
Yet another update:

The oil overfull warning on the driver display has cleared again and the oil level indicator in the centre display shows ‘full’ (not overfilled). I’ve now no idea what’s going on but I’ll still take it to the dealer as arranged and see what they make of it.

Confused!
Hi Wingtank, please can you let me know the outcome of your visit to Hatfields.

I also have a S90 D4 but my usage is quite different to yours, I do a 25 mile each way commute and at least 70% of that journey is over 40mph. I've done 6500 miles from new and yesterday noticed the guage is saying 'oil overfilled', however, there are no warning indicators.

I have heard very mixed reviews about the service levels at Hatfields but they are the nearest dealership to me and therefore, I will probably need to use them.

I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks, Terry
Old Sep 26th, 2019, 10:54   #44
Wingtank

Hi Terry,

I took the car into Hatfields last week by that time the warning on the driver display had cleared (again) but the oil level indicator on the centre display was still showing ‘oil overfilled’.

The service reception staff were courteous (despite me calling the car a bucket o’ junk) and explained that if there were any fault codes showing the oil and filter would be changed under warranty, otherwise the charge would be £66. I told them that I wanted the work doing irrespective of warranty.

They had already informed me that it would take about 2 hours and I elected to wait. The waiting area is a bit ‘naff’ being small and only having hard chairs but it was clean and there is free coffee and newspapers. The car was ready after 1 hour 35 mins.

The work was done under warranty, they had done a software update and a vehicle ‘health check’ which was all good except one tyre is 50% worn. I was told that the oil capacity is 5.2 litres but they had refilled with 5 litres to allow for further expansion in line with Volvo recommendations.

My limited experience of Hatfields is quite positive and I’ll take it back for its annual service in March ‘20.

However, I still have doubts about the whole oil level/diesel dilution/DPF stuff. If the manufacture recommends 5.2 litres oil why is it ok to only replace with 5.0? If the oil level reaches 5.2 litres it is obviously being diluted with fuel (or summat else!) and surely this isn’t a good thing? I have no idea how accurate the oil level indicator is and the owners manual is pretty vague about the ideal circumstances to get a reading, so what’s wrong with a conventional dipstick where you can physically check the oil level, see the colour and if required, touch it and smell it for contaminants? Maybe I’m just getting old and grumpy about new tech stuff😂.

Overall the longer I have this car the less impressed I am with it but they’re separate issues and nothing to do with oil.

Anyroad, since the oil change, the engine is noticeably quieter with less of the diesel rattle.

I hope that info helps a bit.

Regards

Tony J.
Wingtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2019, 12:16   #45
Whaty

Hi Tony,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to reply, I do appreciate your comments.

I tend to check the oil level weekly and from new (March 19) to this week it's always been one bar under full... Whilst there are no warning signs on the dash, the fact that the oil level indicator is now saying 'oil overfilled' suggests the oil must be diluted with something and that can't be a good thing long term.

I'll contact Hatfields and arrange for them to take a look.

Thanks again,
Terry
Old Sep 26th, 2019, 18:41   #46
Quacker
Premier Member

5.2 litres is the capacity of the engine for oil in total. That is to the full mark on the imaginary dipstick when filling a dry engine and running it to fill the galleries and filter. It is seldom, if ever, recommended to refill an engine to the full point. Oil level should be between the full and refill [top up] marks after a service. Taking this and the fact that there is always some oil left in an engine after draining, and the refill amount should always be a pint or two less than the advertised capacity.

If a garage just blindly sets their bulk oil pump to deliver the capacity stated in the manual, it will almost inevitably be over full and at the least up to the acceptable limit, which is the top mark, often indicated as [full] when a dipstick is present.

Hope that sets your mind at ease as to why they, quite properly, do not fill to the ‘full’ or ‘max’ mark if they do their job properly. Many garages purposely do fill to the max purely because they get ignorant owners complaining if they don’t.
Old Mar 28th, 2020, 05:00   #47
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by osbourne one-nil View Post
I had this warning pop up on my V90, so I "popped" it along to the dealer who said it was just a software glitch. A software glitch that took 3 hours of my time and a 90 mile round trip to sort!
your V90... is it a D4 with Adblue?

Last edited by VOLVOL0VER; Mar 28th, 2020 at 05:23.
VOLVOL0VER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2020, 05:22   #48
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

I am getting the same problem. But mine has Adblue. So this "oil overfilled" message is not an exclusive issue of oil level/diesel dilution/DPF stuff.

Because as taylora wrote and i quote him:

"I hope this is not diesel dilution caused by the DPF regeneration - my car does not use Ad Blue".

Last edited by VOLVOL0VER; Mar 28th, 2020 at 05:25.
VOLVOL0VER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2020, 08:56   #49
Steve XC60
Structural member

The oil overfilled issue happens on Ad Blue vehicles too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve XC60 For This Useful Post: