Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Whats the future for caravanning?

Views : 3492

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 1st, 2019, 18:43   #11
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Acceleration is one thing, range is another...
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2019, 18:53   #12
petey
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
Acceleration is one thing, range is another...
Not lost upon me, but the subject is on the future of caravanning. Capable vehicles are available today, easily able to tow for 3 hours between charges. Not enough for an all-nighter to Tuscany, but plenty good for an awful lot of journeys and the infrastructure is still immature. Give it 3 years and the future will be quiet. And torquey.
petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2019, 23:54   #13
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Surely the answer is to put another 150-250Kg of batteries in the caravan? What's the betting Tesla will be making electric caravans and trailers with batteries in them?
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 07:50   #14
Baxlin
Old Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
Surely the answer is to put another 150-250Kg of batteries in the caravan? What's the betting Tesla will be making electric caravans and trailers with batteries in them?
I’m not a caravanner, but won’t that restrict the towcar/trailer weight ratios?
The Following User Says Thank You to Baxlin For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 10:33   #15
TonyB65

Default The elephants in the room are....

How all these electrical vehicles are going to be made considering the following:

https://www.nhm.ac.uk/press-office/p...g-net-zer.html

and I quote

The metal resource needed to make all cars and vans electric by 2050 and all sales to be purely battery electric by 2035. To replace all UK-based vehicles today with electric vehicles (not including the LGV and HGV fleets), assuming they use the most resource-frugal next-generation NMC 811 batteries, would take 207,900 tonnes cobalt, 264,600 tonnes of lithium carbonate (LCE), at least 7,200 tonnes of neodymium and dysprosium, in addition to 2,362,500 tonnes copper. This represents, just under two times the total annual world cobalt production, nearly the entire world production of neodymium, three quarters the world’s lithium production and at least half of the world’s copper production during 2018. Even ensuring the annual supply of electric vehicles only, from 2035 as pledged, will require the UK to annually import the equivalent of the entire annual cobalt needs of European industry.

That's before we consider the environmental impact of electric cars, which are being deliberately ignored:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...an-gas-powered

We're being sold a pup here, especially as the whole "CO2 is killing the planet" hoax is literally based on junk science from scientists with a 100% track record of getting it wrong.

I'll stick to diesel thanks, you can keep your electric white elephants.
Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 16:18   #16
petey
Master Member

There's some interesting points raised, but a couple that are somewhat ignored. Principle amongst them are the location of the pollution; one of the most critical things about remote electricity generation is that it can be conducted (hahahaa see what I did there?) away from populated areas, the CO2 generated can be offset locally by trees planted nearby. You can't do that in downtown Bristol.

Another issue is that of how spent batteries are used. Once they are no longer useful to power vehicles, devices which need a high rate of charge and discharge to be useful, they can still be used as support for housing requirements. Ditto vehicles that are plugged in overnight.

Very shortly, gas boilers will be illegal in new house builds; the end of burning dead fossils is coming as surely as pubs will stop accepting cash.
petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2019, 18:01   #17
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by petey View Post
There's some interesting points raised, but a couple that are somewhat ignored. Principle amongst them are the location of the pollution; one of the most critical things about remote electricity generation is that it can be conducted (hahahaa see what I did there?) away from populated areas, the CO2 generated can be offset locally by trees planted nearby. You can't do that in downtown Bristol.

Another issue is that of how spent batteries are used. Once they are no longer useful to power vehicles, devices which need a high rate of charge and discharge to be useful, they can still be used as support for housing requirements. Ditto vehicles that are plugged in overnight.

Very shortly, gas boilers will be illegal in new house builds; the end of burning dead fossils is coming as surely as pubs will stop accepting cash.
With CO and diesel emissions - it's a local thing.

With with CO2 it's not so local - it's damage is as a greenhouse gas - it's the overall quantity in the atmosphere that's the issue, not us breathing it in the streets.

Diesel emissions and Carbon Monoxide can be toxic to humans, especially those that are elderly or already in ill-health. Carbon Dioxide is not, the issue is the link to climate change.
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Sep 6th, 2019 at 18:04.
Old Sep 9th, 2019, 15:28   #18
TonyB65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
With CO and diesel emissions - it's a local thing.

With with CO2 it's not so local - it's damage is as a greenhouse gas - it's the overall quantity in the atmosphere that's the issue, not us breathing it in the streets.

Diesel emissions and Carbon Monoxide can be toxic to humans, especially those that are elderly or already in ill-health. Carbon Dioxide is not, the issue is the link to climate change.
CO2 is 0.04% of the earth's atmosphere, man's contribution to that 0.04% is 3%, if you think that's changing the climate I have a bridge to sell you.
Old Sep 9th, 2019, 16:24   #19
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustyfrog View Post
With more and more pressure to get away from diesels and on to smaller and smaller petrol and electric powered cars, how will we tow caravans?

Anyone like to put a time frame on the day we wont be able to afford diesel as the government of the day tries to price us off the road?
I wouldn't be surprised to see an electric motor on the axle and a battery on the floor to power the caravan , to take all the towing force from the car and compensate for the extra wind resistance, the car would be more economical and have better emissions when towing than with no caravan! Shall we patent the idea ?
Old Sep 11th, 2019, 08:34   #20
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
I wouldn't be surprised to see an electric motor on the axle and a battery on the floor to power the caravan , to take all the towing force from the car and compensate for the extra wind resistance, the car would be more economical and have better emissions when towing than with no caravan! Shall we patent the idea ?
And the battery is charged from the wheels when braking and by solar panels covering the caravan roof which also charge the car batteries?
1976 Massey Ferguson 135