Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Subwoofer and CD changer questions

Views : 1348

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 16th, 2020, 00:51   #1
P156KWJ

Default Subwoofer and CD changer questions

Evening all,

A couple of questions regarding audio.

Did Volvo install underseat subwoofer(s) to S40s or was it only certain variants and trim levels? Mine has an option listed for some sort of enhanced audio and speakers so I'm assuming mine had them from new. Considering trying a new one and underseat is a good compromise for sound quality without taking up valuable boot space. What size are the factory fitted ones and what sort of frequency and wattage are they?

As for the CD changer, I know that was removed before I bought the car. The stereo is an HU-605, what model of CD changer is compatible from Volvo's own range? (Or aftermarket as long as it can still be controlled without something like an extra remote like a lot of old ones)

Thanks in advance
P156KWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2020, 03:08   #2
P156KWJ

Also, third question I forgot to add while on the subject of audio, the system is currently suffering from some alternator whine when tuned to FM frequencies. More noticeable when using the JVC modulator/bluetooth setup I've added as it needs the volume a bit higher. CD player unaffected. Do inline noise suppressors actually work or are they a waste of time? Having looked for advice elsewhere on Google it suggests just about anything from bad earths to a bad alternator to a bad aerial...
Old Mar 16th, 2020, 10:37   #3
clarkey1984
Premier Member

It all largely depends on what system your car has, both the 02 t4 and the 52 SE had hu605 stereos and the built in subwoofer in the boot, but on the SE everything was controlled by the din connector and in built amp apart from the tweeters in the dashboard, whereas on the T4 only the sub uses the amp, the door speakers were posted in the conventional way by the regular speaker wiring, if yours is the former system then that may well be the cause of the whine, as the din adapter to feed the inbuilt amp did create some noise on all speakers, but not so in the T4 as the door speakers aren't powered that way.
Old Mar 16th, 2020, 11:31   #4
P156KWJ

I've got a few other things that's making me think I've got alternator problems although they are currently filed under 'ignore and it'll go away'... hopefully

I've got aftermarket adapters in the back of the stereo to accommodate a modulator to a standard DIN setup so that could be a cause if they are of low quality.

If I was to obtain a powered subwoofer with an inbuilt amplifier would tapping in to the existing speaker wiring at the back of the head unit be adequate regardless of what the factory setup is in terms of whether it has an amp or not? Not looking to vibrate the neighbourhood windows to death but looking for a more thorough music listening experience without spending daft money
Old Mar 17th, 2020, 01:50   #5
Technician

Default Audio Shenanigans

Firstly it's worth noting that S40 and V40 have two slightly different audio setups. As mentioned above, without saying V40 explicitly the estate has an extra powered Subwoofer in the boot to compensate for the lack of large sealed (ish) space that the S40 benefits from by virtue of having a boot to act as a speaker housing.

In Phase 2 land there were 3 audio packages installed in cars. There are one or two cars from 2004 when they were clearing stock components that got extra they wouldn't normally have had, but here goes a brief rundown.

First is the base level which is a proper poverty version where you don't even get speakers in the parcelshelf. Why might you ask?....police cars etc... This I think is also tape deck only!

The second option was the standard install, which is in most cars and had a head unit where the powering of 6 speakers is done by said unit. It has CD changer compatibility and is an alright system. The speakers have a white sticker on the back and the cones are made of paper. The front has a tweeter in the dash and mid/bass speaker in the door. The rear deck speaker I think is 2 way, by virtue of paper trumpet in the centre.

The third option is the 'Premium Sound System aka high performance audio package' and comprises of a head unit with a 4 channel external amplifier in the right hand side of the boot and uprated higher impedance speakers, which have a blue sticker on the rear and are made of injection moulded rubber. The Amplifier is 25w per channel to the doors and parcel shelf and definitely makes a difference. The head unit itself still powers the tweeters in the dashboard.

The rear deck speakers are 2 way, but the tweeter is a separate physical speaker this time on a raised plastic crown above the woofer cone. Very nice.

The HU-1250 Sat Nav unit is available in amp and regular versions. I believe one forum member discovered there is the possibility to make a Amp versionout of a regular one with minimal soldering...but that was a long time ago.

There are two choices of CD Changer, 6 and 10 disc. Wiring is pre-installed on all but poverty spec cars. The CD changer is fitted under the parcel shelf on the S40 and to one side in the V40. I found the S40 location annoying as everything bashed it so I moved it to one side of the boot. The 10 disc was an paid for extra so is rarer, however the units are compatible with the S60 V70 XC70 and S80 (possibly the early XC90 as well) so they are another source of parts. I use my old 10 disc changer in my S60 now.

The fitting of the same style audio system to the other cars means that you can get some aftermarket solutions to give functionality like Aux input and IPod input. They basically mimic the CD Changer in how they work.

The cars audio system uses a Mitsubishi designed system called Melbus, and sadly very little is known about it. Any info learned has been by reverse engineering. You can connect multiple units in a Daisy chain with melbus, and the CD Changer is always last. Volvo made a HDD jukebox for the S60/V70/S80 that might work with S40/V40 head units. Mitsubishi components could possibly work with the Volvo system, but they made even less extras to buy.

As far as I know I don't believe Volvo fitted an under seat Subwoofer in any market, no doubt because of getting in the way of the SIPS system in a crash...but more likely because their customer base had not requested such vibes.

From my memory I think there was a Pioneer and a Panasonic sub you could buy to go under the seats of cars back in the late 90'a and early 2000's.

That's all I can think of at the moment, but if you thinking anything else reply or DM.
Technician is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Technician For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 17th, 2020, 08:58   #6
clarkey1984
Premier Member

I wish I'd known all of that sooner, as I just sent my se with the updated system to the scrap, I thought it was just the amp setup that differs, not the actual speakers too

Last edited by clarkey1984; Mar 17th, 2020 at 09:34.
clarkey1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2020, 19:36   #7
P156KWJ

An incredibly thorough and helpful insight, thanks guys!

I'm fairly certain I'm lucky and have the enhanced option (after having had the reg checked for a full list of options).

Re the CD changer, didn't realise the wiring was fitted regardless and that explains why it has the wiring but no changer. I also thought it was placed rather peculiarly.

Simply put, I would like to try a new Kenwood unit under the drivers seat (I very rarely have rear seat passengers and the unit is still fairly small), which already has a built in amp. How would I go about connecting it to the existing audio setup, is there a way to tap in to the speakers without causing too much aggro?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kenwood-KSC.../dp/B00BO8O9XQ
Old Apr 20th, 2020, 13:10   #8
P156KWJ

Finally got around to purchasing a new compact powered sub (but obviously I haven't been able to go and browse Car Audio Centre personally or anything at the moment). After a fiasco with DPD it arrived this weekend.

Went for something slightly more expensive in the end but seems worth it for the quality.

Relatively simple installation by the looks of it even in to the factory stereo as the built in amp will accept both high-level and RCA inputs. To save purchasing an adapter pointlessly this means I can splice straight in to the existing wires behind the head unit. Power cables with an inline fuse, remote turn on wire and a remote control wire all included in the kit from CAC.

A couple of questions before I go and install it, hopefully this weekend, first one in particular being of importance.

1) Any specific safety concerns with regards to installation under the driver's seat, specifically regarding not disturbing SIPS or other airbag equipment? Besides the usual common sense instructions relating to airbags of course, like not sitting on one and seeing what happens when you activate it (yes, my other half who is a nurse has seen a patient in A&E who did this...)

2) Does it matter which speakers I tap in to (obviously for simplicity I'll choose the same speakers from the L/R side of the car, a total of 4 wires spliced).

3) As the factory unit doesn't have the facility specifically for a remote turn off like I'd imagine aftermarket ones do, can I run this straight to a device that is only turned on with the auxillaries to act in the same way? Ironically the radio circuit would be ideal for this, perhaps via a breakout fuse or a fuse tap. Or have I got this wrong?

Thanks in advance
Old Apr 20th, 2020, 16:08   #9
clarkey1984
Premier Member

If you're intending to use the speaker wiring from the green connector out of the back of the stereo then they will then not be amplifier fed, to use the amped feed you'd need to be following the wiring from the speakers themselves back to somewhere convenient to splice into, as the aforementioned feed straight from the stereo only powers the tweeters, I only know this as when I fitted an aftermarket unit into a car equipped with the later premium system I needed to use a din adapter with a power supply fed from the new stereo to get the amp to work.
Old Apr 20th, 2020, 21:15   #10
P156KWJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkey1984 View Post
If you're intending to use the speaker wiring from the green connector out of the back of the stereo then they will then not be amplifier fed, to use the amped feed you'd need to be following the wiring from the speakers themselves back to somewhere convenient to splice into, as the aforementioned feed straight from the stereo only powers the tweeters, I only know this as when I fitted an aftermarket unit into a car equipped with the later premium system I needed to use a din adapter with a power supply fed from the new stereo to get the amp to work.
Just read Technician's insights further up the page and realise what you mean now! Checked for a build list of extras for my specific vehicle with Volvo and it does indeed list option 427, 'high performance loudspeaker'. Will have a look in the boot in a bit as I'm guessing the amp is a little further out of the way in there somewhere.

To be honest looking at the clearance I'm going to struggle for clearance underseat anyway, this is why originally I was after the smaller Kenwood unit but their warehouses are currently closed so I got a slightly higher rated round one.

Long shot but does anyone have any wiring diagrams for the setup or is it a case of manually tracing wire numbers through the car?