Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 Tramlining - poll

Views : 65803

Replies : 101

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Which tyres are best on a V70?
Pirelli P6000 48 25.40%
Toyo Proxis 10 5.29%
Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 46 24.34%
Continental 11 5.82%
Michelin Pilot Sport 30 15.87%
BF Goodrich Profiler 4 2.12%
Other 40 21.16%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 9th, 2012, 04:55   #91
locoman

just fitted Hankook ventus prime2 absolutely brilliant, very quiet, smooth ride, no tram lining. Had p6000's fitted they were shocking. 17" wheels on v70 d5 se. £90 each fitted
locoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2012, 23:41   #92
oban

You are more likely to tram the stiffer the sidewalls of the tyres, pirelli are renound 4 stiff sidewalls where as a Mich have relative soft sidewalls by reducing the the tyre pressure by 2/3 pounds can make a big difference.
oban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2013, 22:12   #93
Wire tim

Always used Vredestein Sessanta's on the Zafira, the VXR lads swear by them. Also, it has been mentioned previously, but go for a tyre with an XL load rating. The sidewalls will be stiffer and may assist in any problems you're having.
Wire tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2013, 19:37   #94
byootox
Premier Member

I have 215/45/17 Coopers on mine and it tramlines something bloody awful.
Had Dunlops on it before and they tramlined bloody awful too.
I think a lot of it is simply to do with the low profile of the tyres as there's little flexibilty on them.
I find by dropping the pressures a little say about 4 lbs helps a bit as it makes the sidewall more flexible.
byootox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 10:42   #95
brickman
Premier Member

98 V70 TDI on standard 15" 195x??xhuge profile tyres and standard suspension on the cheapest tyres to be found @ 40psi = the ultimate non-tram liner.

Never known a car like it. It just steam rolls across absolutely everything.

Used to have a fiat coupe on 18" wheels, approx 235 x 30 profile (?). Running in the inside lane of a motorway with truck rutts was a hazard to say the least.
brickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2014, 18:21   #96
OLD GIT 64

firestone firehawk... had them on my V70 they were the mutts nuts
OLD GIT 64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2014, 19:13   #97
big_yin

I got these for the V70 AWD and they are doing great.
They are budget tyres but great all-rounders.

205/55 R16 91 W SAILUN ATREZZO Z4 PLUS AS

Paid 165 for the 4 tyres online and had them sent to a fitting centre
40 Pounds later and they where fitted.
big_yin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 19:25   #98
tzijlstra

Our 2008 2.5T petrol has had pretty bad tyre wear since we got it back then. (replacing all 4 in under 20K miles!) but since we moved to the top-range Vredestein (18" extra load) the wear seems a lot more even - they cost less, are quieter, are more stable in corners in my opinion and generally just seem much better than the Michelin and Pirelli's we have had on in the past.

We never had tramlining though, so wonder if that only applies to the smaller wheels?
tzijlstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 20:25   #99
petax

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzijlstra View Post
Our 2008 2.5T petrol has had pretty bad tyre wear since we got it back then. (replacing all 4 in under 20K miles!) but since we moved to the top-range Vredestein (18" extra load) the wear seems a lot more even - they cost less, are quieter, are more stable in corners in my opinion and generally just seem much better than the Michelin and Pirelli's we have had on in the past.

We never had tramlining though, so wonder if that only applies to the smaller wheels?
17in wheels very well maintained 850 T-5R Saloon

I have found that Michelin Primacy 3 work quite well, Bridgestone Potencia also good uns. Top of the range kumho tyres (can't remember the type) were excellent, car was on rails (I live in the Pyrenees). But Kumho wore very quickly and one blew out after going over a stone, for goodness sake?!?

I found that disturbing tramlining was caused by basically knackered suspension. Replaced drumsticks (aka steering track rods) and new standard shocks (all Volvo parts): result; no tramlining at all on three different brands of tyres.

So in my experience it is not the tyres, rebuild the front suspension and you will be sorted.

In your case tzijlstra, it would seem your suspension is in good condition.
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 23:43   #100
petax

Default foot note to previous post

A little more detail on the tyres I have driven on in an 850 T-5R saloon.

Keeping on the topic of tyres

How did I rate the tyres mentioned in the previous post?

They cost an arm and a leg after all:

Favourite tyre: Bridgestone Potenza, only real downside is that they are a bit fat, so they tend to chafe the wheel arch on a tight lock. Tough confident tyres, worked well in dry and wet, when I first got the car it had them and the car tram lined to the point that I avoided some roads if possible as they felt out of control, so rutted by lorries. Once I had the suspension overhauled they were great with useful feedback, no surprises.

Sames goes for the Kumho tyres, they were their top of the range, which were not expensive, about 115 gbp each. Very sticky tyre, good in the wet. (I will find the model tomorrow.) They do wear fast, and not robust. The Bridgestone is like half sports tyres half tractor, the Kumho more plimsol very tacky but avoid anything more than half an inch tall.

Michelin Primacy 3, didn't really want this tyre but following the bow out of Kumho, I had to get a replacement quickly as running on a counter rotating asymmetric spare was not something I want to do. Michelin Primacy 3 is a competent tyre, it does not tramline at all, in any meaningful way, but it offers good feedback from the road.

Not had them long so adjusting to them, they seem sure footed enough, still putting them through their paces, handle standing water at 120kph quite well. I cover 1,000km a week (sometimes a day) it has been raining so much we have had landslides along the motorway in a number of places.

Only covered 1,000km so far on the michelins, seem pretty good in the wet, but they feel less attached than the other two, hard to explain, they give the feeling that if they let go that will be it, whereas the other two just nip your ankles to remind you to be more careful. At the moment my least favorite of the three.

So, in short the following tyres pass the tramline test with flying colours in a well maintained 850 T-5R saloon.

Kumho
Bridgestone Potenza
Michelin Primacy 3