Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 300/66 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

300/66 Series General Forum for the Volvo 340, 360 and 66 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sunroof Setup on GLT 1986

Views : 1075

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 29th, 2003, 20:47   #1
andrew hislop

My sunroof on my 360GLT 3 door 1986 was a little bit rusty 6 years ago so i removed it at the time and replaced it with a decent one from the scrap yard.

The problem is how on earth do you get the sunroof timming setup on her, I gave up at the time and the car has been in storage since then.

ps. Shes only done 64k and shes got a yanspeed stamped cylinder head on her stating its a 2.1 engine 1 of 30 maybe made, anyone know of the other 29.

The cars mint and the sunroof is all that needs sorted please help
Old Oct 12th, 2003, 00:30   #2
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Default RE: Sunroof Setup on GLT 1986

Hi,

I reckoned to post a reply to this a couple of days ago, but it doesn't seem to have showed up!

Engine sounds interesting - got any more info on it? Was it a factory unit, and what sort of power does it develop?

As for the sunroof...I have tried and failed to adjust mine! There's a section in the haynes manual (got one?), but it didn't help me - although I think this is because my mechanism is broken (ie: you can rock my sunroof backwards and forwards about the pivot point). Mine needs a new panel and mechanism anyway....wish it didn't have one - never open it, and its a right pain to fix!

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2003, 10:46   #3
Colin Shepherd

http://pic7.picturetrail.com/VOL188/...8/23744414.jpg

James,
You may find your answers here.

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/BodySunroof.html

Although this is for 700/900s the roof mechanism is similar if not identical in most roofs of this type.

Colin.

Old Oct 13th, 2003, 00:47   #4
TonyS

Sun roofs are a nightmare. I got help with mine from a very helful chap on alt.autos.volvo and recon I could fix most problems when I see them and given a week or so to fiddle and experiment. I don't think it very explainable in text particularily when the person reporting the fault can identify whats wrong, or really understand how it works.

I considered making a video, but my project car doesn't have a sun roof (yee-ha) and my last car with a SR went to the scrappy a few months ago, (with a working but sticky sun roof).

Yes if they are closed leave them closed, leaks will be caused by drain blocks, and to fix them you don't need to open the sun roof.

If you do need to open it, then work it back and forwards gently and do not force it. Mostly they will work on angle mode but not slide back.

My advice is to figure out how it works and try to find a car with a working mecha and copy it (preferably not the one you are going to take parts from).

Ajustment is not that difficult, but make sure you check the full operation a few times (if your going to use it) and again try to understand what you are doing by adjusting each point.
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 18:23   #5
pettaw
Forum Support Team

Got a sun roof on mine, which worked fine once I wired up the motor correctly. I dunno why it wasn't working, must have been something to do with the alarm wires running through it. Put plenty of WD-40 on the mechanism and works sweetly now.

It only goes back and forwards. What do you guys mean by the angle? Drain holes were clear too. Must've been lucky.

Unlucky with the sills though. The only bit of rust on the whole **** car and its on the sills.

Andy
pettaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 22:56   #6
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

I think you must have an aftermarket sunroof - does the switch look like a volvo one (ie: like the window ones, or the 700 series ones)?
In that case, it might well be slide only, and not tilt too.

The factory 'Golde' manual sunroof has both tilt and slide, and a switch to select which 'mode' its working in.

I think the problem with the Golde system is that part of the guide mechanism breaks with time, but without being an expert, its hard to know which bit (ie: it all looks ok.....but there's something *very* wrong with how it sits, etc...)

As for sill rust - be thankful - in many cases 'structural' rust is far simpler to fix than cosmetic rust, which needs endless work to get the right finish. My rear doors are both rotton in the bottoms, as well as around the black window surround trim. The front ones have imperfections too, although I've caught it all early enough to save it....but any later and I'd be looking for rear doors (I might still swap rear doors, if I can find ones that are good enough on a scrapper.

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 23:22   #7
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Oops! Forgot to say thanks to Colin for the link to the 700 series page!

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164