Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Time to sell.............. opinions sought!

Views : 1385

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 13th, 2015, 12:57   #1
Leatherland Andy

Default Time to sell.............. opinions sought!

I have a 1978 245 which I have run as my only car for both work and domestic use since 2002. I have enjoyed the attention this has received in my local town and everyone sees me before I see them!

However at an average of 25mpg and with a lot of ongoing work coming all at once I am reluctantly going to get a modern car, and can't afford a hobby car for weekends. There is quite a bit to do on this car which would be expensive at a garage but may suit a skilled DIY fan. I am thinking it will be worth more than scrap and wondered if anybody had sensible advice about a start price for ebay I could work with?

MOT advises both rear shocks are corroded, (front ones replaced this year), both outer sills corroded, slight blow in front exhaust pipe, slight wear to inner edges front tyres and chip in windscreen. MOT runs to 25/2/16.

More seriously, there is a weeping join on the petrol tank, slight head gasket leak, (missfires for first 500 yds till cylinder moisture driven off), engine block small oil leak getting onto clutch housing, (slight judder under tension only), moisture on carpets which I suspect is heater matrix and fan motor needs replacing.

Front seats need re trimming, headlight washer wiper has never worked for me but is purely cosmetic, odd little bits of non structural rust coming through.

Any one issue and I would probably have soldiered on, but given that I am spending £1000+ a year needlessy on the excess petrol above a modern motor I think its time to pass on the project, once I have a replacement car sorted.

I have taken a few snaps this morning, (not from 8 years ago!) and would welcome any thoughts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF3011.JPG (134.4 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3012.JPG (137.8 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3014.JPG (138.0 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3013.JPG (138.4 KB, 66 views)
Leatherland Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2015, 13:57   #2
Velorum
VOC Member

Lovely looking old bus - if I had the space on my drive I would make you an offer as it would be a great project. Not many of these left on the road now.

It would be a shame to see it scrapped so hopefully it will go to one of the enlightened

Ive switched to modern cars a few times over the past 10 years - I truly hate the things and have ended up selling them and going back to what feels right - simplicity, RWD and robustness. The same might happen to you...

Last edited by Velorum; Jun 13th, 2015 at 14:03.
Velorum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2015, 14:19   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leatherland Andy View Post
I have a 1978 245 which I have run as my only car for both work and domestic use since 2002. I have enjoyed the attention this has received in my local town and everyone sees me before I see them!

However at an average of 25mpg and with a lot of ongoing work coming all at once I am reluctantly going to get a modern car, and can't afford a hobby car for weekends. There is quite a bit to do on this car which would be expensive at a garage but may suit a skilled DIY fan. I am thinking it will be worth more than scrap and wondered if anybody had sensible advice about a start price for ebay I could work with?

MOT advises both rear shocks are corroded, (front ones replaced this year), both outer sills corroded, slight blow in front exhaust pipe, slight wear to inner edges front tyres and chip in windscreen. MOT runs to 25/2/16.

More seriously, there is a weeping join on the petrol tank, slight head gasket leak, (missfires for first 500 yds till cylinder moisture driven off), engine block small oil leak getting onto clutch housing, (slight judder under tension only), moisture on carpets which I suspect is heater matrix and fan motor needs replacing.

Front seats need re trimming, headlight washer wiper has never worked for me but is purely cosmetic, odd little bits of non structural rust coming through.

Any one issue and I would probably have soldiered on, but given that I am spending £1000+ a year needlessy on the excess petrol above a modern motor I think its time to pass on the project, once I have a replacement car sorted.

I have taken a few snaps this morning, (not from 8 years ago!) and would welcome any thoughts
Pleased don't be fooled into thinking running a modern car is cheaper overall even doing 25 mpg in your 245 ... it won't be ...

I would get your car fixed , pity you cant DIY as that would be the answer ... maybe someone local can give you a hand ..

On the other hand if you don't love the car anymore this is just the excuse you need :-) , you will do what you have to anyway ..
Old Jun 13th, 2015, 14:56   #4
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

I have been in this position many times over a lifetime of running old cars as my everyday driver.
I used once to cheerfully set to and mend anything - I've taken engines out, had rebores and crank regrinds, dismantled a gearbox and cannibalised bits from a better one. It was all part of the fun. It's only more recently that I have found that I no longer have the mental stamina to put up with discomfort and makeshift amateur workshop facilities, but fortunately I can now afford to pay garages to do work that previously I scorned to get assistance with.

Sometimes I have finally fallen out of love with one make and model and so sold it and moved on to something else. Alternatively if you can afford it simply buying a much better example of the model you have given up on can be a real tonic.

I've tended to treat 240s over many years as my expendable everyday car. I've bought cars with over 200,000 miles and then used them at 20,000 miles a year until they have finally given up at 400,000 or more.
If you have a particular affection for your older model, rather than just a general love of 240s, then in your position I'd set to and fix myself all the things I could, and get a recommended small garage or freelance mechanic to do those I can't.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2015, 15:47   #5
Leatherland Andy

Thanks to Clifford Clan and Velorum.................guys............you ain't helping, looking at the pics I posted it's like looking at an old pony saying "please love me"

Last edited by Leatherland Andy; Jun 13th, 2015 at 15:51.
Old Jun 13th, 2015, 16:08   #6
Velorum
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford Pope View Post
......and get a recommended small garage or freelance mechanic to do those I can't.
I no longer have the time or inclination to crawl about underneath an old car and skin my knuckles. My efforts are confined to minor fettling and cosmetics. Doesn't stop me running old cars as daily drivers though - theres a really reliable and trustworthy mechanic just down the road with his own workshop that looks after them for me. In fact he's fitting a new starter motor to my 240 on Monday morning - a simple enough job but a damn sight easier to have him do it......
Old Jun 13th, 2015, 16:11   #7
davebslater(uk)
redbollock guru

looks pretty good to me ... round headlights too!!!!
Old Jun 13th, 2015, 17:36   #8
Leatherland Andy

oh yes part of the joy, but occasionally obscure vital parts like clutch fork, are not to be had in the UK.

So far everyone in the office, my entire family (especially the wife), and sometimes me are in favour of changing and it seems a few guys from the forum are voting to keep!

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Old Jun 14th, 2015, 22:28   #9
volvo always
Premier Member

I would of said fix it and LPG it but being local to you I know not many LPG outlets.

Would make a nice turbo project though!!

I use my 240 GLT auto as my work car and for me it works as haven't got the money for a decent sized van like a vito, transporter etc

James

Last edited by volvo always; Jun 14th, 2015 at 22:32.
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2015, 08:26   #10
mylittletony
Master Member

I love it, but then I'm biased owning a '79 estate

A lot of the things you mention are 'service' items such as shocks and exhaust and the 2nd hand spares availability (& price) is excellent.

You could find some good used front seats (I bought leather ones for £50) have the HG replaced and oil leaks sorted at the same time and get the welding done and you're halfway there.

Regarding economy, I fitted a 5-speed and Weber carb which has seen a huge difference!

As for modern cars being cheaper, we just discovered our V50 needs a new turbo - £800 for the parts alone!! Be under no illusion, running modern cars is NOT a cheap affair.

However, if you want (and are under pressure) to sell, the earlier models like this are getting much more attention and seem to go for ~£1000 for an MOTed example like yours. A start price of 750 or so would see some bidding action.

DO NOT SELL TO THE SCRAP MAN FOR £150!!!
mylittletony is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mylittletony For This Useful Post: