Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Dealer pricing - XC60 rear brake pads

Views : 4411

Replies : 56

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 18th, 2024, 12:30   #41
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
The dealer will rip you off. They are charging anything from £130-£160 a hour nowadays, whereas an indy would be anything from £60-£80 per hour for the same thing.

My dad had rear pads replaced at an indy for £60 labour plus the parts. It worked out £90 the time (£60 labour, £30 for the pads). This was about 5 years ago… genuine pads too, not aftermarket. Prices will have changed since then.

We didn’t have the time to do them ourselves. Either way, an indy will be cheaper.
They are not, for once in a lifetime ! That is now going into the Technicians well deserved pocket, there is a world wide shortage as none of the school leavers want that kind of job anymore in this current age when they can earn the money by pressing buttons all day..
Old Mar 18th, 2024, 12:30   #42
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
The Book time is 1.5 hours to change the rear brake pads and discs.

There is no extra "resetting " I assume that is retracting the rear pads which needs the VIDA connecting... That is included in the 1.5 hours from the standard times book.
You can do it yourself by taking the calliper winding motor off and winding back the pistons yourself with a splined tool whilst the calliper is off changing the pads.
The method I prefer is to wind it back using a small battery. I did exactly this on the V60 at the weekend. Volvo pads, did the job myself, took me about 90mins all in and cost me 60 quid for the pads from TMS.

I even crimped myself a little lead with spade connectors to fit into the back of the caliper and then checked and reversed the polarity at the battery connections. I had a small lead acid battery kicking round the garage which I used. This was far easier than when I have done it before and tried probing into the back of the caliper to switch polarity.
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Philip Fisher For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 18th, 2024, 14:19   #43
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
They are not, for once in a lifetime ! That is now going into the Technicians well deserved pocket, there is a world wide shortage as none of the school leavers want that kind of job anymore in this current age when they can earn the money by pressing buttons all day..
Dealers have always have been a rip off, they always will be.

I prefer to go to independents or trusted garages, who still have skilled mechanics and don't charge half as much.
Old Mar 18th, 2024, 14:32   #44
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
Dealers have always have been a rip off, they always will be.

I prefer to go to independents or trusted garages, who still have skilled mechanics and don't charge half as much.
I have found for the last 7 years or so The independents are charging as close to the dealer as they dare, everyone is suffering the price rises of course especially now.
Old Mar 18th, 2024, 14:41   #45
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
I have found for the last 7 years or so The independents are charging as close to the dealer as they dare, everyone is suffering the price rises of course especially now.
They aren't charging anywhere near the dealer where I am, but I guess prices can vary depending on location.

Indi's here charge around £60 per hour give or take. The dealer is double that, or even more now. Lookers were charging £130 an hour, and that wasn't long ago.
Old Mar 18th, 2024, 18:13   #46
Alben
Al

Can anyone recommend a good indie or body shop in the Coventry or Warwickshire area who could replace a headlamp on a V90? Already have the light unit so just labour.
Alben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2024, 18:23   #47
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alben View Post
Can anyone recommend a good indie or body shop in the Coventry or Warwickshire area who could replace a headlamp on a V90? Already have the light unit so just labour.

I have never done the job on a V90 but surely swapping out a headlight is one of those massively simple jobs? Would take longer driving to the garage than just doing it? Unless it is a bumper off job? On the V60 you don't even need a spanner, you just pull out 2 spikes and the unit comes out.
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2024, 21:18   #48
Alben
Al

Bumper off job plus may need re alignment as they are tracking main beams and full led. Much more complex than the old V70 which had the slide in clips which made changing bulbs a 5 min job.
But that's progress....
Alben is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alben For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 18th, 2024, 23:25   #49
Tony Gathercole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alben View Post
Much more complex than the old V70 which had the slide in clips which made changing bulbs a 5 min job.
But that's progress....
... but lots of 5 minutes as my old V70 had a habit of blowing headlamp bulbs after almost every long-ish drive.
Old Mar 19th, 2024, 18:13   #50
MCV60
Master Member

Quote:
Only last week I paid £140. For rear pads fitting Inc. 1hour Labour.
In advance of going to Volvo for service.