Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Subwoofer

Views : 1695

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 8th, 2017, 22:31   #1
Mx5

Default Subwoofer

Hi, can somebody who has one fitted tell me where it is located and if you can feel or hear any difference when you adjust it up and down using sensus.

I have one fitted but cannot notice and difference in sound when it's up high or low on the sensus.

I also don't think the bass is noticeable boomy when it should be, making me think it's not working.

I have the standard sound system.

Thanks.
Mx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2017, 23:03   #2
desiebear

I have the same set up, don't know where it is located, but like you I'm similarly unimpressed with the subwoofer. Comparing to my MY16 the sound is definitely better but I thought the bass would be deeper. Only when music is played through iPod, Spotify, etc do you get any impression of the extra bass.

I tried to play with the settings but doesn't seem to make much of a difference. Interested to see what others think.
desiebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2017, 23:15   #3
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

I don't have an XC90 but you should check your Graphic Equalizer in your Sensus system.

Find the lowest "Hz" entry (will either be 60Hz or 30Hz) and put this slider up.... the lower Hz numbers represent the low frequency bass notes. Ideally you'd want to turn up the 30Hz to increase the "thud" from your bass speakers and subwoofer. Obviously increasing the higher Hz numbers will make the higher frequency sounds more apparent, which you don't want in your case.

Last edited by T5R92011; Mar 8th, 2017 at 23:18.
T5R92011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2017, 07:27   #4
Konst

to be honest, the subwoofer is rather discreet even on my B&W system.
I think it's part of the philosophy of Volvo audio system, high quality audio but no "boom boom" basses and high audio pressure. Despite the high power output of the B&W, the volume remains fairly moderate and the subwoofer setting don't make much difference. Perfect for listening to classical music but perhaps less suitable for younger people or for children in the back who are accustomed to fill their ears with bass.
MY17 XC90 D5 Inscription 7 seats, Electric silver/charcoal, 21"wheels,Walnut,leather dash,Luxury pack ventilated+massage, 4 zone clim pack,Xenium Pack, VOC+modem, sunroof, Winter pro Pack Auxiliary Fuel Heater+HUD,Business+ pack with B&W +DAB
Konst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Konst For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 11th, 2017, 16:42   #5
rikwatson

It's a free air sub apparently, hidden in the drivers side rear wheel arch. Ordered mine as an extra to the standard stereo system, rather than going full B&W. Excellent sound if the source material is good quality, and I can certainly feel and hear the bass rumbling.
rikwatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2019, 22:20   #6
marceloavg

reviving this one.... Does anyone know if it is possible to retrofit the subwoofer?

On the XC90 I mean
marceloavg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2019, 23:33   #7
WhatNext?

https://www.harmankardon.co.uk/volvo.html
Old Jan 4th, 2020, 22:14   #8
lounnj

Default 19 XC60 Subwoofer

Just got my new XC60, came with Harman/Kardon 14 speaker system. While it sounds great and fairly clear, it lacks good sub sounds. Looking to upgrade or add a subwoofer box in the rear. Anyone try this yet? My understanding is Harmon has an air subwoofer in the back, i am wondering if tapping into those lines would do it. Since battery is already in the back under spare tire, it doesnt appear to be a major project.
lounnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2020, 22:42   #9
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lounnj View Post
Just got my new XC60, came with Harman/Kardon 14 speaker system. While it sounds great and fairly clear, it lacks good sub sounds. Looking to upgrade or add a subwoofer box in the rear. Anyone try this yet? My understanding is Harmon has an air subwoofer in the back, i am wondering if tapping into those lines would do it. Since battery is already in the back under spare tire, it doesnt appear to be a major project.
Might be a draft question, but I presume you have found & tweaked the sound system’s equaliser to give you the level of bass that you are looking for?
I have a similar H&K system on my car & love some good old hard rock with great bass - Metallica being a favourite - and at high volume & bass levels I can certainly feel the air mass moving with the Bass......or at least my ears can!
Old Jan 6th, 2020, 18:40   #10
chp10

I had the same feeling about the Harman Subwoofer like you. As i had from my previous car an amp left i bought a JL Audio CS112LG-TW3 Subwoofer which i placed in the spare tire compartment. i disconnected the original Woofer and used this as an input signal for the Amplifier.

Sounds like day and night.
chp10 is offline   Reply With Quote