Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

440 1996 model 1.8 GS idling problem

Views : 952

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 1st, 2006, 21:06   #1
go go 440

Default 440 1996 model 1.8 GS idling problem

Hi,

We have a 440 1.8 GS 1996 model with a full service history at 62,000 miles with a minor idling problem.

It is only noticeable at idle and sounds like a very slight misfire.

I cleaned out the carburettor and the Air inlet with Carb cleaner.

I have checked the air lines that run from the Air box to the Air inlet. I did find the ends of the rubber hoses a little cracked and I managed to cut 10mm's off.

I changed the plugs and all leads, the old plugs all seemed in good condition.

I liberally sprayed Carb cleaner around the Carb and down near the Exhaust manifold and over the ends of the Air box to Air inlet hoping to find Vacuum problems. (I was hoping to hear the engine rev as it drew in the Crab cleaner.)

But nothing.

Any thing else I can try?
go go 440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 17:11   #2
Daniel M
Inbetween Volvo's...

It could be the idle valve. Located at the front of the engine, a cylindrical looking object. I can't remember which way, but you should be able to blow through it one way but not the other.

Also, look at the connection from the ignition coil to the dizzy cap. Make sure it's properly snapped home (sounds obvious, but easily overlooked).

Not sure about the 1.8, but my 2.0i had a big black pipe going to the airbox with a blue sensor plugged into it about halfway down. If the 1.8 does have this, whip it out and make sure it's all clean.

Another place to look is the idle screw. Mark the current position and take it out, just with an ordinary flat head screwdriver. Sometimes it gets all ****ty and dirty and needs a clean out. Clean the screw and carefully clean the thread. The idle screw is located on the picture...

Also, worth just going round and checking the earth straps. There's one located to the right of the battery, one on top of the gearbox (you should be able to see it with the bonnet up looking down) and one on the engine hoist on the left of the cam cover. There may be a few more but can't remember off hand.

Look at the + cable running from the battery, that runs along the front of the engine bay. Sometimes the contacts come loose or get badly corroded and cause mis-firing. However, you can associate charging issues with that also, so may not be the problem-but worth checking none the less. Had a similar problem on mine. The cabe you need to look/follow across is this one:

Also, another thing to check-the spark plugs. Did you have any problems getting any of them in/out? (e.g. very tight?) If you did, could mean some are cross threading so the plugs aren't going all the way home therefore not making contact properly. This would be noticeable under load (i.e. driving) and would cause the engine to mis-fire also.

Even if none of those helps solve the problem, it's always good to give those a once over anyway.

I've talked enough-hope that was a little help.
Dan
:: 440 2.0i SE, 1994, 306 Smoke Silver Metallic :: Sold
:: 440 1.7 GLEi, 1991, 219 Ocean Blue Metallic Metallic :: Sold

Last edited by Daniel M; Apr 2nd, 2006 at 17:14.
Daniel M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 17:55   #3
go go 440

Daniel,

Does mine have an idle valve ? I thought it was only the Turbo's that have them.

When I changed the plugs there wasn't a problem with cross threading, they came out and the new ones went in no problem.

Thanks for all the points daniel. I'll have a good look right now before dark.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 21:24   #4
Daniel M
Inbetween Volvo's...

Not sure.

I had a 440 GLEi, '91 H, my 2.0i, '94 M and my Turbo. Obviously my Turbo is a Turbo and has one, but both my 440's had them and they were only Injections... Not so up to speed on the 1.8 specs i must admit...
:: 440 2.0i SE, 1994, 306 Smoke Silver Metallic :: Sold
:: 440 1.7 GLEi, 1991, 219 Ocean Blue Metallic Metallic :: Sold
Daniel M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 22:05   #5
go go 440

Default Any pointers?

Checked the leads around the distributor cap all o.k.

Still can't find the idle valve can anybody point me it the right direction as for the idle screw

As for the sensor on the big black pipe can't seen to see one either

The idle screw is mine situated on the Carburettor under the air inlet.

I have attached a picture. Any pointers?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.8 440 engine re sized.jpg (182.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Carburettor re sized.jpg (145.9 KB, 12 views)