Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 SE Turbo Manual Estate Stalling :(

Views : 1165

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 4th, 2007, 21:30   #1
Blodhemn

Default 940 SE Turbo Manual Estate Stalling :(

Hi everyone,

Im new to these forums, and new to the lovely world of Volvo's.

I just bought a Volvo 940 SE Turbo estate, and absolutely love it to bits. But im having a problem with it stalling quite often, seems to be when i slow down for junctions etc, so can be quite worrying, especially when making right turns.

I checked the codes on the fancy diagnostic thing, and got the codes 1 1 1 on the 1st test, and 1 2 1 , then 3 1 2 on the second test.

Are these likely to be the causes?

I'm no mechanic, but have a friend that is, so if anyone can point me in the right direction, I can at least tell him where to start.

Hope some kind fellow Volvo fan out there can advise me
Regards
Rob
Blodhemn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 21:39   #2
gpl1968
VOC Member

You can check the codes here:

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/EngineOBDCodes.html

1997 945 CD (B230FK) [RIP: 1991 945 Turbo (B230FT) 1992 945 SE turbo (B200FT)]
gpl1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 12:21   #3
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

First thing I'd do is to get the engine to 'stage 0' - ie give it a thorough service.

The stalling issue is possibly related to too low an idle speed - cleaning the throttle body and breathers, then resetting the idle speed & throttle position switch is a good start.

You mention that the car stalls when turning - this is a good indication of too low an idle speed, and possibly a faulty IAC Idle Air Controller. I wouldn't condemn the AMM yet - try the above first, together with cleaning all connectors.

Once you've done all this, reset your fault codes and take it for a run to see if thats fixed it.

Hope this helps.
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 16:20   #4
Blodhemn

Cheers for the info guys, nice to see people on these forums are very helpful.

I have priced up a full service with my local Official Volvo Servicers, gonna cost me £80, but if it sorts out the problem, its well worth it.

Further driving today, & it seems to happen when braking? as when i brake very slow, it seems ok, but when i brake harder, it stalls (even with clutch fully down). never stalls during standstill and ticking over though, would that rule over the idle speed thing you mentioned Rolling Thunder?

When i take my car in for a proper Volvo service, will they automatically do a diagnostics test on the car too?

Thanks again guys
Rob
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 18:44   #5
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blodhemn View Post
never stalls during standstill and ticking over though, would that rule over the idle speed thing you mentioned Rolling Thunder?
I'd guess so Rob. One other thing you can try is to disconnect the AMM (with the ignition off). This WILL set the lambda light on, will set a failure code in the ECU, and will set the car to run-home mode - however if the stalling disappears, you've got a pretty good bet that it is the AMM causing the problem.

Re. the question about whether mechanics always check out fault codes - I'd say it depends upon the mechanic/garage concerned. My guess is that they'll notice the warning lamp, maybe read the codes, and phone you for permission to investigate further.

Its always difficult diagnosing a problem such as this via email/forum as you can't experience the problem or pick up other aural/visual hints - sorry I can't be more specific at the moment (but I'd still go with a thorough service and breather system clear out. Ensure that the distributor cap and rotor arm is checked/replaced - most mechanics skip this as its a bit of a pain getting the cap off ).
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 19:41   #6
rogerthechorister
Rogerthechorister

Default Braking

Stalling under hard braking is sometimes an indicator that the brake servo is causing problems.
rogerthechorister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 16:21   #7
Blodhemn

Decided to give my 940 a full service to see if that irons the problem out. But now my dilemma is, do i take it to my local Volvo Dealers, or take it to another local repair place for less money. What is the difference? can anyone tell me a good reason to take it to the authorized Volvo place? or will the other place do just the same thing for less cash?

Any advice from you guys is good advice, so any advice is welcome.

Cheers
Rob
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 16:30   #8
niloc
SWV Benefactor

Service? Changing oil/filter/coolant wouldn't make a difference.
Why use a volvo dealer for servicing? They are notoriously expensive (£75 per hour +VAT for labour round here), and do the same job as a local garage except they use expensive "genuine" parts.
Check brake servo as previously mentioned.....
Question - is it auto or manual?
Does it sound like the engine labours hard when stalling, or does it just die quietly?
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 08:24   #9
Blodhemn

Quote:
Originally Posted by niloc View Post
Check brake servo as previously mentioned.....
Question - is it auto or manual?
Does it sound like the engine labours hard when stalling, or does it just die quietly?
Hi Niloc

Thanks again for the answers. I will ask my LOCAL garage ( seeing as they will do it just as well ) to check the Servo as you mentioned.
To answer your 2 questions, Its a Manual, and when it stalls, my very quiet engine, just stops and all warning lights light up, so its more like it just cuts out.

Hasn't done it for 2 days now though? which adds to the confusion, haha.

The mind boggles

Cheers
Rob
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 08:53   #10
niloc
SWV Benefactor

Did you clear the fault codes from the OBD. Always clear them, then after a while check them again. I don't understand your first post:
Quote:
I checked the codes on the fancy diagnostic thing, and got the codes 1 1 1 on the 1st test, and 1 2 1 , then 3 1 2 on the second test.
Pin 2 and pin 6 you check for engine faults. You will either get 1-1-1 (no faults) or another code. Tell us what codes you get from each position respectively.
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the fuel pump relay yet.....