Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2016 V40 T2 R-Design - Both key fobs suddenly not working

Views : 847

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 3rd, 2023, 22:29   #1
yuomi

Unhappy 2016 V40 T2 R-Design - Both key fobs suddenly not working

Hi Folks,
New to the forum so hope this is formatted correctly.
Left the house this morning and tried to unlock the car - nothing.
Went and got spare key - nothing.
Changed Cr2430s in both fobs - still nothing.
Took off the manual lock trim on the passenger side door (why oh why is it on the passenger side?) and entered - alarm went crazy.
At first, neither fob would work in the slot to start the engine, but in panic may have forgotten to press clutch.
Eventually, main fob works in slot and engine starts. Folding wing mirrors are still not deployed though as they engage when the fob is used to unlock.

Questions:
Any idea what could have caused this? Car continues not to respond to either fob on any buttons (locks, lights, horn, boot etc.)
Is there a manual way to deploy folding wing mirrors?
Also managed to knock the rearview AND rearview stem off when getting from passenger seat to driver's seat. Any idea how to reattach the stem? I'll be a monkey's uncle if i can figure it out.
yuomi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yuomi For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 31st, 2023, 13:01   #2
estadamx

I am now having the same issue. Both my fobs do not work anymore with new batteries. The battery went flat on the one, so I used the other. Got a whole pack of replacement batteries.

When I replaced the spare's battery it stopped locking/unlocking the car. Still works in the ignition, but doesn't lock the car. Using the old battery does still work but I am getting a low battery warning.

I thought maybe I just have bad batteries, so I bought more from 5 different stores. All the same. No new battery works in the key fob, but the old battery is working.

Is it the wrong battery type/size? No, its the CR2430 (3V) which is the exact same one in there now.

This is just above me. I went through all 58 pages of the Volvo V40 2012 to 2017 forum and looked at all the fob related posts. Nothing helps. I can't imagine I need a new fob which most are recommending.

Now I went to other models and other forums and in the V50 they recommend updating the CEM at the dealer. Does that make sense?
estadamx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to estadamx For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 13th, 2023, 14:05   #3
dandanuk

Default Any solutions

Hi Both I have exactly the same problem, do you have a solution?

Thanks, Dan
dandanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2023, 15:35   #4
dandanuk

Default Solution

just thought I would share what happened to me:

i changed both of the fob keys to no avail - it was the car batteries.

So the V40 has a main battery and then a smaller battery - the smaller battery charges off the main battery and I assume that was dead - because the main battery was almost dead (battery warning message).

I opened the car with the manual key and then started the car and kept in revving at around 3000 rpm for an hour.

This didn't solve the problem immediately but it did charge the main battery ( check with a meter) then the next day I did the same thing, then the third day it worked.

The smaller battery trickle feeds off the larger one so I think the consistent charge on the larger battery solved he problem.

Hope this helps!

Every thing works now - i will make sure to use the car at higher revs a a bit more and also vary that with the out door temp fluctuations
dandanuk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrics, key fobs, v40