Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V90 Rear Light Repair

Views : 594

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 12th, 2024, 20:57   #1
Grizzly Gra

Default V90 Rear Light Repair

After the rear light starts to malfunction, with signs of damp behind the lens, is there any way to dry and repair the unit?

The light clearly still works as it always comes on for the lock & unlock indication and normally works ok for a while when first driving.

Hoping it doesn't always mean a replacement is needed.
Grizzly Gra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2024, 22:50   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Gra View Post
After the rear light starts to malfunction, with signs of damp behind the lens, is there any way to dry and repair the unit?

The light clearly still works as it always comes on for the lock & unlock indication and normally works ok for a while when first driving.

Hoping it doesn't always mean a replacement is needed.
Once water gets in it corrodes the circuit boards of which there are quite a few, you cant get access to them either. There are electronic boards as well as basic boards which the actual LED's are soldered to. If you can dry it out and more importantly seal it up you might get a bit more life out of it , but it will fail again some day in the future.
Old Mar 14th, 2024, 08:55   #3
mannyo1221

I Never succeeded in a repair for mine, eventually mine had an inch of water in the bottom and was completely dead. Ended up at dealer and replacement installed.
Old Apr 7th, 2024, 21:17   #4
namfreak

I've just experienced this myself -"Rear position light malfunction" warning light on dash, along with an expensive dealer replacement

Then within a month the other side goes as well

I retained both of the faulty units and could pour a small cup of water out of them

Poor design wouldn't you say to hold so much water?

Previous: 2009 V70 R Design D5
Previous: 2001 C70 hardtop 2.4 LPT
namfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2024, 21:46   #5
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

I think it’s scandalous really, a for the cost of the replacements and b the fact that the issue is even an issue. The LED lights on the back of my 2014 S80 are 10 years old and are still perfect. Why do manufacturers do this, cheapen everything off and charge you more for it! I mean Volvo have been making cars for some time and yet cant seal a back light up properly and expect the customer to foot the bill.

I have just read a comment on Volvos social media directly at Volvo regarding the disgust of having to fork out £1200 on a replacement headlamp due to a dip beam failure. The £1200 included a contribution. Original price £2400! For one lamp!! It just out of its 3 year warranty. When the other one goes you be paying the full amount. It’s just all wrong!

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Exec, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GrahamBrown1 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 8th, 2024, 00:11   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by namfreak View Post
I've just experienced this myself -"Rear position light malfunction" warning light on dash, along with an expensive dealer replacement

Then within a month the other side goes as well

I retained both of the faulty units and could pour a small cup of water out of them

Poor design wouldn't you say to hold so much water?
Where exactly is the water getting in? That's the key to this problem... even a crack will let water in...
Old Apr 8th, 2024, 09:31   #7
Lancee
Premier Member

At the risk of drifting off piste, what was that wrong with the old 12v light bulbs ?

Nothing is free, and now many are complaining about being dazzled by some of the new lighting to the point of giving up night driving. Utter madness ! Cost of living crisis ?!!!!!
Lancee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2024, 21:26   #8
Riggermortis
Learnt by doing it myself

Hi all.

This may / maybe not of some help.

I had the same problem, left first and later the right.

I fixed them so far. But it’s a bit of a drastic fix,
First the lights will have to come off, great fun that is 🤐

Re seal them with clear sealant all round.
Then drill a 1/2 “ hole into the bottom, Don’t be ham fisted when drilling as there’s a circuit board 10 mm in, not a good idea to hit that.☹️ drain water out if any, let dry, then cover hole with a porous material, has to let the water seep out, I used felt, glue round the edges and stick it on .

Then the good fun of putting it back on the car, hopefully for the last time,, well until you need to change indicator bulbs???

As I said “ drastic “ but it works lefts been done about 14 months- right 3 months…no sign of water buildup, some moisture on lens sometimes. That’s all

So. If you’re brave enough go ahead, or if you’re loaded then let the dealer sort it at xxxxxx pounds. 💰💰💰💰😇

Good luck to all

Rigger xx
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0566.jpg (81.3 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0565.jpg (103.2 KB, 29 views)
Riggermortis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Riggermortis For This Useful Post: