Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > ETM Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

ETM Issues Discuss issues regarding the problems with ETMs fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo Car UK Policy on ETM Replacement

Views : 42303

Replies : 212

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 12th, 2007, 18:09   #111
bluedog

Hi Wardair and Doofus,

Just to let you know that following the ETM clean out and upgrade my V70 is not running brilliantly. Picked it up on Friday night and rang the Volvo dealership on Saturday morning to voice my concerns. The rev counter sticks on deceleration at around 1400 revs for a few seconds before returning to idle. I have been advised to drive it for a few days to see if it settles down!

Apparently I would have to pay for any further work or replacement but I'm reading that they only last 10K. miles

Driving it today, what was more disconcerting, was the sudden two second surge in speed that occurs. On one occassion this was on a left hand bend and felt as though I was suddenly being accelerated into oncoming traffic.

As a loyal Volvo owner (5th car) I am disappointed in their stance in the UK.
I need the room the estate offers but my good lady is now frightened to drive the car and would like to move on. Anyone who suggests that this is not a sfety issue must be barking!

Thanks, bluedog
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 19:23   #112
bluedog

Spent all day in the V70 today around the North East.

It now appears that I have intermitent cruise control to add to my woes - could this new syndrome be ETM related as it was perfect before it went into the dealer? Now sometimes it works and sometimes it does'nt. Help

Bluedog
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 21:45   #113
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

Yes, cruise control failure is a symptom of ETM problems.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 00:09   #114
Agostino

Hi Wardair.

I applaud your efforts, and will support you all the way.

You can add me to your list.

My V70 has not had any problems yet, but I had the upgrade carried out as a precaution. I've covered 6000 miles since with no problems.

V70 SE 2002
51000 miles
Full service history

Regards,
Agostino
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 23:52   #115
Wardair

Thank you to everyone for all your posts on this thread.

The fact is, I am now losing interest because keeping the issue focussed is almost impossible (just look at the number of threads you need to review to find out what is happening on the ETM issue).

I believe VCUK have also defused the situation in the UK by reducing the cost of an ETM replacement (long overdue but this step will at least benefit those with failures in the future).

The ongoing issue is that people are still being mislead or placated by 'cleaning and software upgrades'. Please remember if your ETS light came on and they cleared the fault by cleaned your ETM then it is definitely 'on the way out', cleaning it is only a delay tactic and the software upgrade makes the forthcoming failure happen in a way that is 'safe' (basically less scary than it used to be).

I will continue to visit the threads occasionally and wish everyone the best in getting a fair deal.

Finally, remember Watchdog is an entertainment program - do they really want to understand any issue and more importantly do they care or do they just want to entertain the masses? I will leave you to make up your own minds

Best wishes and good luck

Wardair:
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 09:40   #116
keefrto1
VOC member in Canada

I have just bought a 2000 C70 T5 GT AUTO yesterday and through threads in the forum , I discussed the issue surrounding the ETM. I also spoke with the Volvo dealer who last serviced the vehicle. I asked the dealer who was selling the car to book it in with Volvo to get the ETM upgrade and I drove from Edinburgh back up to Abdnshire and so far no issue. I am not sure what/when to expect anything to happen but my vehicle has only done 43k so maybe this will affect me later on?
keefrto1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 18:54   #117
volvo2
Master Member

Wardair,

It is all very depressing. It was me who repeatedly pestered BBC Watchdog until they ran the original ETM storey. I have since attempted to encourage them to follow up but they no longer seem particularly interested. Maybe the storey is no longer good television.

I believe it is VOSA who have effectively let Volvo UK off the hook. VOSA have been remarkably complacent and surprisingly appear to be in the pocket of the manufacturer. VOSA certainly have not provided a good service to the consumer in this case.

M Smith
volvo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 00:40   #118
insider

I had the standard "No UK problem" , American Emissions issue, nothing to do with market here, it's all a load of hot air, Watchdog were scaremongering. No upgrade no nothing.

It took a copy of the TNN stuff, 2 emails and 4 phone calls the VCUK customer services before it was sorted.

However another dealer had no issue with it and never lied, so there it went. Some do lie i'm afraid and I think it's an official Edict from VCUK to deny the issues, all of the comments are far too similar and it just leads me to believe that VCUK have told them all to do the same.

It took one hell of a fight to get mine sorted.
insider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 02:34   #119
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by keefrto1 View Post
I have just bought a 2000 C70 T5 GT AUTO yesterday and through threads in the forum , I discussed the issue surrounding the ETM. I also spoke with the Volvo dealer who last serviced the vehicle. I asked the dealer who was selling the car to book it in with Volvo to get the ETM upgrade and I drove from Edinburgh back up to Abdnshire and so far no issue. I am not sure what/when to expect anything to happen but my vehicle has only done 43k so maybe this will affect me later on?
Yes, this will affect you at some later stage. Right about the 100K mileage point...

As I have posted a number of times, no software upgrade, nor throttle body cleaning, no matter how through, will ever solve what is a mechanical failure of a part.
Don't care what the american issue is - emissions issue appears to be a fudge.
Don't care what Volvo Uk say either, they are lying.
If the ETM made by Magneti Marelli was so wonderful, why did Volvo switch to Bosch units?

When it fails you will be billed for its replacement (which will be a reconditioned unit!!!) take the dealer AND Volvo UK to the county court for a FULL REFUND, details on the case and arguements have been posted in this ETM forum from someone who has successfully sued a dealer. Unfortunately it was only the dealer they took to court..

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 10:19   #120
keefrto1
VOC member in Canada

Why is this such an issue for VUK as there is a difference with treating customers here or is it that we don't complain enough and we put up with things?