Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

NEW Connected Car DATA SIM

Views : 3749

Replies : 49

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 8th, 2017, 00:03   #31
smj1873

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadvex View Post
Is there a website for this company?

I can't decide if i'm interested or not, so far the only use I see for it is the internet radio in the car, mines the earlier sensus mind, so far I use it with bluteooth tethering on the phone but reception can be a bit flaky.

Can't decide if the car is worth spending money on, been looking at preloaded data sims, the 12gb for 12 months for around £30 that you can find on amazon/ebay seems good, but its another cost ontop of VoC when my phone already does it? hard to justify
Later Sensus models have a lot more apps. They all need a connection such as weather apps and Yelp. Our SIM's would come as a preloaded amount of Data. 12GB for £30 isn't economical and that's why we are going down this route.
smj1873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2017, 09:51   #32
Considered1
Premier Member

Quote:
Is there a website for this company?

I can't decide if i'm interested or not, so far the only use I see for it is the internet radio in the car, mines the earlier sensus mind, so far I use it with bluteooth tethering on the phone but reception can be a bit flaky.

Can't decide if the car is worth spending money on, been looking at preloaded data sims, the 12gb for 12 months for around £30 that you can find on amazon/ebay seems good, but its another cost ontop of VoC when my phone already does it? hard to justify
I have the second data sim slot that comes with VOC, I leave a data sim in there for when any of us get in and can use the wifi hotspot to stream Apple Music, browse on Mrs C1's iPad etc. Just works and easier than each tethering our different phones each time.
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2017, 11:01   #33
smj1873

Quote:
Originally Posted by Considered1 View Post
I have the second data sim slot that comes with VOC, I leave a data sim in there for when any of us get in and can use the wifi hotspot to stream Apple Music, browse on Mrs C1's iPad etc. Just works and easier than each tethering our different phones each time.
This is exactly the SIM slot we are talking about. It certainly is a massive convenience and it is a hugely growing market. The problem we have as consumers is that there aren't enough good deals out there and others have had to resort to ordering Three SIM's from Switzerland etc. We're working hard to get the pricing finalised and this post was to get a feel for the appetite for our product.

Thanks again for all the comments and questions.
Old Aug 8th, 2017, 12:43   #34
filace

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj1873 View Post
We have a direct relationship with each of the main networks and our SIM's are run on a rivate network that is infinitely scalable. It's not shared with the main network and as such there are no contention or congestion issues.
Sorry, but no - that doesn't make any sense. You're talking about obtaining SIMs from the various mobile carriers in the UK (fine) and then referencing a "private network", which I assume is just your own APN and routing across the 3/O2/whatever network to your own termination point. This does not make it 'infinitely scalable' - you're still limited by the contention on the radio network, the backhaul from the cellular site to your transit facility, and then your own upstream providers.

If this is a service you've already built out for another purpose then it's possible you have sufficient bandwidth and transit agreements in place for 'significant' bandwidth - but if you're talking about getting a single interconnect with the mobile providers and shoving it over a 100Mbit pipe at RapidSwitch then you're going to run into capacity issues very, very quickly.

Reckon you could provide a bit more info? Company name would be a start...
filace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2017, 21:05   #35
drive_a_legend

Cool

Quote:
Later Sensus models have a lot more apps. They all need a connection such as weather apps and Yelp. Our SIM's would come as a preloaded amount of Data. 12GB for £30 isn't economical and that's why we are going down this route.
Any plans to be able to activat/use your product in the EU (If you Brits still know what that's about )
drive_a_legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2017, 14:41   #36
smj1873

Quote:
Originally Posted by filace View Post
Sorry, but no - that doesn't make any sense. You're talking about obtaining SIMs from the various mobile carriers in the UK (fine) and then referencing a "private network", which I assume is just your own APN and routing across the 3/O2/whatever network to your own termination point. This does not make it 'infinitely scalable' - you're still limited by the contention on the radio network, the backhaul from the cellular site to your transit facility, and then your own upstream providers.

If this is a service you've already built out for another purpose then it's possible you have sufficient bandwidth and transit agreements in place for 'significant' bandwidth - but if you're talking about getting a single interconnect with the mobile providers and shoving it over a 100Mbit pipe at RapidSwitch then you're going to run into capacity issues very, very quickly.

Reckon you could provide a bit more info? Company name would be a start...
Hi, sorry for the delayed response and thanks again for the comments and questions.

Apologies for the mix up, please allow me to clear up any confusion. Firstly, a proper introduction - we are Pangea and have a combined 55 years experience in partnering within the telecommunications industry, we pride ourselves on our award winning ecosystem of connectivity, devices, and solutions.

http://pangea-group.net

We have direct relationships with three of the major UK network operators with no third party involvement as we have our own billing system and platform. When I previously referred to infinite scalability this was intended to be in reference to the amounts of data we can purchase and effectively sell on a single or multiple SIM cards. The largest individual tariff readily available on the market today is 128GB, this is a monthly data allowance and you either “use it or lose it” with no ability to rollover unused data. We have Private APNs in place with the networks, and currently we have more than sufficient bandwidth in place to deliver an exceptional experience to our customers.. If this reached a stage where we needed to increase our capacity then we could do this quickly and easily.

Our organisation can be hugely flexible, literally putting any amount of data, on any SIM, on any network and on any contract term - we are not bound by the tariffs the networks sell directly or want their typical resellers to push into the market, as a wholesale provider we are in control of what we offer. I believe this flexibility can benefit consumers, including myself, by ensuring I only pay for the data that I need and can use it when I want to use it.

Apologies again for any confusion, it was unintentional. You clearly know what you're talking about and we are always keen to talk to others in the industry who could provide feedback or new partnering opportunities. Feel free to get in touch if you have any further questions.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to smj1873 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 14th, 2017, 18:36   #37
filace

Quote:
Apologies for the mix up, please allow me to clear up any confusion[...]
An excellent reply, thank you! I look forward to seeing your offering when its available - I should be getting my XC90 early September, so I'm hoping it's before then!

Jon
filace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2017, 20:38   #38
steadvex
Master Member

so this will be a dealer only purchase?

for the right price I'd defiantly be tempted, but I'd rather buy direct, I can't see Volvo doing a good price, although I was shocked at the price of Volvo on call direct with Volvo over third party sites so I'm happy to be proven wrong.
steadvex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2017, 21:38   #39
smj1873

Quote:
so this will be a dealer only purchase?

for the right price I'd defiantly be tempted, but I'd rather buy direct, I can't see Volvo doing a good price, although I was shocked at the price of Volvo on call direct with Volvo over third party sites so I'm happy to be proven wrong.
Not at all. The dealer offering is part of the plan but there will also be a website to order independently from.
The Following User Says Thank You to smj1873 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 18th, 2017, 20:52   #40
S90
IT Guru

If Volvo want to offer this they will simply do it directly with the operators, who for Volvo will offer far more than you can.

In terms of pricing, you still haven't given any details, I have 3 sim in the Modem in my S90 which is 20GB per month for £18, allows me to roam, not that I take my car overseas.

The margins for resellers in telecoms are tiny so not sure how you think you can resell at a price point consumers will be happy with is beyond me. We work closely with a Vodafone partner so I know what the margins are like.

The website you have posted is not B2C oriented and is for B2B?